Continuing Medical Education
A key objective of NUMed Malaysia is to contribute to the lifelong continuum of medical education. While the international campus of Newcastle University has only been established here in Malaysia since 2011, already we support a growing number of continuing medical education programmes.
Newcastle University UK’s Inaugural Respiratory Update: Working in Partnership to Improve Respiratory Care
Saturday 1st August 2015
This Respiratory Update represents a collaboration and aims to to bring together experts in respiratory medicine from Malaysia and Newcastle University. Programme content has been designed to address existing and future clinical challenges and is aimed at respiratory consultants, respiratory specialists, general practitioners and medical officers. Download Brochure (1.3 MB)
To be launched by Datuk Dr Noor
Hisham bin Abdullah, Director General
for Health, Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
Who should attend?
- Respiratory consultants and specialists
- General practitioners
- Medical officers in General Internal Medicine
- Prof Paul Corris: Consultant Respiratory Physician and Professor of Thoracic Medicine,
Newcastle University and The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals
NHS Foundation Trust UK, Director National Pulmonary Hypertension Service (Newcastle)
- Dr Gerard Meachery: Consultant Respiratory and Transplant Physician,
Associate Lecturer Newcastle University,
Director of Respiratory Medicine,
Freeman Hospital, The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust UK.
- Prof John Simpson: Professor of Respiratory Medicine Freeman Hospital and Newcastle University,
Director of Research & Development Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust UK
- Dr Sophie West: Consultant in Respiratory Medicine and Lead for Newcastle Regional Sleep
Service, Freeman Hospital, The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust UK. Associate Senior Lecturer, Newcastle University
- Prof Liam Chong Kin: Senior Consultant Respiratory Physician.
Head, Respiratory Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Prof Roslina Abdul Manap: Consultant Respiratory Physician Head, Respiratory Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Medical Centre (UKMMC)
- Dato' Dr Hj Abdul Razak bin Abdul Muttalif: Director and Senior Consultant Respiratory Physician, Institute Perubatan Respiratori (IPR), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Dr Jamalul Azizi Abdul Rahaman:
Consultant Respiratory Physician and Interventional PulmonologistHospital Serdang, Selangor
- Associate Professor Dr Helmy Haja Mydin:
Consultant Respiratory Physician, Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Prof Richard Loh Li Cher: Professor of Medicine.
Head, Department of Medicine Penang Medical College, Malaysia.
Adjunct Professor, Postgraduate Studies and Research, International Medical
- Asst. Professor Sanjay H. Chotirmall:
Assistant Professor of Molecular Medicine, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, Imperial College London
0815 - Registration
0900 - Welcome speech
0910 - VIP speech (Director General for Health, Ministry of Health, Malaysia)
0920 - Thank you/official photo
0930 - Session 1: Dato' Dr Abdul Razak - MDR-TB in Malaysia
1000 - Session 1: Prof John Simpson - Acute Lung Injury/VAP
1030 - Session 1: Prof Richard Loh Li Cher - Heterogeneity in COPD: implications for management
1100 - Coffee
1115 - Session 2: Prof Liam Chong Kin - Molecular profiling of lung cancer - who benefits?
1145 - Session 2: Dr Sophie West - Obstructive sleep apnoea and the metabolic syndrome
1215 - Session 2: Prof Roslina Abdul Manap - The role of pulmonary rehabilitation in the management of COPD co-morbidities
1245 - Lunch & prayers
1400 - Session 3: Dr Jamalul Azizi - Bronchial thermoplasty in asthma - the Malaysian experience
1430 - Session 3: AP Sanjay Chotirmall - Translational research in respiratory medicine
1500 – Session 3: AP Helmy Haja Mydin – Updates in Smoking Cessation
1530 - Coffee
1545 - Session 4: Prof Paul Corris : Pulmonary embolism: From the acute event to CTEPH
1615 - Session 4: Dr Gerard Meachery : The challenges of lung transplantation
1645 - Summary
1700 - Close
Chairs Session 1: Prof Paul Corris, Prof CK Liam
Chairs Session 2: Dato’ Abdul Razak, Prof John Simpson
Chairs Session 3: Prof Roslina, Dr Gerard Meachery
Chairs Session 4: Prof Richard Loh, AP Helmy Haja Mydin
To register, complete and return the Registration Form for the Respiratory Medicine Conference
Associate Professor Helmy Haja Mydin
Tel: +6 017 228 1921
Professor Paul A Corris
- 16th - 18th & 20th - 21st October 2014: Ministry of Health, Royal College of Physicians and Newcastle University: Faculty Development for Doctors in Malaysia.
- 11th October 2014: Regional Meeting of the Malaysian Society of Geriatric Medicine
- 26th & 27th September 2014: How to pass communication skills for paediatricians course 2014
- 15th & 16th August: 3rd Malaysian Breast and Endocrine Surgery Course 2014
- 1st March 2014: International Translational Research Conference. 'Personalised Medicine - From bench to individual bedside'
- 11th - 13th & 16th - 17th September 2013: Third RCP workshop.
- 3rd and 4th July 2013: Laerdal MiniSUN workshop.