Dr Mukhrizah Othman
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +6 07 555 3866
- Address: Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia
No 1 Jalan Sarjana 1
Kota Ilmu EduCity@Iskandar
79200 Iskandar Puteri (formerly Nusajaya)
I am a microbiologist and molecular biologist by training with particular research interests in antimicrobial resistance. After obtaining my PhD, I went on to do post-doctoral research at the University of Nottingham, UK investigating pathogen uptake by crops grown hydroponically in anaerobic digestates. I stayed on to work as Teaching Associate before returning to Malaysia in August 2015 to take the position of Lecturer (Non-clinical) at NUMed, where I am primarily involved in research. Apart from research, I also contribute to teaching of various modules in Biomedical Sciences, MBBS and Foundation Certificate in Biological and Biomedical Sciences programme.
PhD Pharmacy - University of Nottingham
BSc. (Hons) Nutrition and Community Health - Universiti Putra Malaysia
ResearchI have a particular research interests in antimicrobial resistance which stems from my PhD research. One of the focuses of my PhD studies was on the ability of novel plant extracts in combination with beta-lactam antibiotics to overcome antibacterial resistance, specifically against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) growth. The aim was to understand mechanisms of action on the synergistic activity observed. Another focus was on the antioxidant and cytoprotective properties of novel extracts against oxidative-induced cytotoxicity on human hepatocellular carcinoma and normal human lung fibroblast cells. Currently, I am working on a project to identify the presence of antibiotic resistance genes in surface and domestic waste/tap water in Johor.
Teaching (Biomedical Sciences)
Stage 1 Genetics
Stage 1 Microbiology and Immunology
Stage 2 Practical Skills in Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences 3
Stage 2 The Nervous System and Respiratory Diseases
Stage 1 Patients, Doctors and Society - Critical Appraisal in Action seminar
Teaching (Foundation Certificate in Biological and Biomedical Sciences)
Biology 1 and 2
- Martin SL, Clarke ML, Othman M, Ramsden SJ, West HM. Biochar-mediated reductions in greenhouse gas emissions from soil amended with anaerobic digestates. Biomass and Bioenergy 2015, 79, 39-49.
- West HM, Ramsden SJ, Othman M. Options for the use of quality digestate in horticulture and other new markets, University of Nottingham. A report for Waste & Resources Action Programme, UK (technical report). 2015. Submitted.
- Ting KN, Othman M, Telford G, Clarke G, Bradshaw TD, Khoo TJ, Loh HS, Wiart C, Pritchard D, Fry JR. Antioxidant, cytoprotective, growth inhibitory and immunomodulatory activities of extracts of Dysoxylum cauliflorum Hiern., a Malaysian Meliaceae. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2011, 5(24), 5867-5862.
- Othman M, Loh HS, Wiart C, Khoo TJ, Lim KH, Ting KN. Optimal methods for evaluating antimicrobial activities from plant extracts. Journal of Microbiological Methods 2011, 84(2), 161-166.
- Othman M, Genapathy S, Liew PS, Chng QT, Loh HS, Khoo TJ, Wiart C, Ting KN. Search for antibacterial agents from Malaysian rainforest and tropical plants. Natural Product Research 2011, 25(19), 1857-1864.
- Amin I, Othman M. Antioxidant capacity of methanolic and water extracts prepared from food-processing by-products. Journal of Science Food and Agriculture 2006, 86, 778-784.