Professor Roger Barton
Provost & CEO, Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: Office: +6 07-5553800
- Address: Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia
No.1 Jalan Sarjana 1
79200 Iskandar Puteri (formerly Nusajaya)
Introduction and major leadership roles
I am Provost & CEO for NUMed Malaysia. My role is leadership and strategy for international MB.BS provision, at our branch campus in Malaysia.
Prior to this in the UK, I was Dean of International Medical Education for the Faculty. I was the Director of Medical Studies and Chair of the Board of Medical Studies from 2006 until 2014. I was Clinical Subdean for the Northumbria Base Unit from 1999 to 2007.
I was a Team Leader for the General Medical Council, involved in quality assurance of medical education in the UK, and have contributed to the quality enhancement of over 12 UK medical schools in the past 15 years.
I am the Associate Director (Education) for the Royal College of Physicians, London.
I was the Chair of the UK Joint Advisory Group on Gastrointestinal Endoscopy from 2006 - 2011
I was Chair of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme Accreditation Panel from 2005 - 2014
I was the Education Advisor to the NHS Endoscopy Programme, 2005 - 2011.
My research interests began in human gut immunology, inflammatory and irritable bowel disorders, and finished in education, mainly clinical teaching, endoscopic teaching, teaching standards, and assessment.
In 2016 I was awarded Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Educators, and Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, the highest awards in both UK medical and academic education.
I qualified from Newcastle with honours in 1981, and trained in Newcastle, Durham and Cumbria until 1985. I worked at Edinburgh University for 5 years as a lecturer in medicine, where I conducted my PhD. I then moved to London in 1990 as a senior registrar at University College Hospital, The Middlesex Hospital, and the Whittington Hospital, before returning to Newcastle in 1994.
I became Professor of Clinical Medicine in 2001. I am a gastroenterologist and general internal medicine physician. I hold an honorary consultant contract with Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
MB BS (Hons), PhD, FRCP, FRCPEd, MClinEd, FAcadMEd PFHEA
Reader in Medicine University of Newcastle 1994 - 2000.
Senior Registrar in Medicine, Whittington, Middlesex and University College London Hospitals, 1990-1993.
Lecturer in Medicine, University of Edinburgh 1985-1990.
International Review Chair, World Bank-Quality Assurance Agency Quality in Undergraduate Education project, Indonesia.
Senior Advisor, Royal College of Physicians, Physicians as Educators programme
Fellow of the Academy of Medical Educators
Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member, Board of Medical Studies, MB.BS programme, Newcastle University, 1995 - 2016
Teaching to all stages of students in Newcastle.
GMC Educational Associate and Team Leader- UK medical schools 2004 - 2015
Associate Director (Education) and Senior Advisor to Royal College of Physicians on education and quality assurance.
Director, Royal College Physicians of London Educational Consultancy.
Lead facilitator, Royal College Physicians Physicians as Educators (PAE) and International PAE programmes.
Expertise in clinical education and quality evaluation, for Royal College Physicians, Quality Assurance Agency and Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Medicine.
National Educational trainer for consultants teaching endoscopic skills.
Member, Clinical Examining Board, Federation of Royal Colleges of Physicians 2007-2010
MRCP PACES examiner
International MRCP PACES examiner
Research into inflammatory and irritable bowel diseases, with PhD in human gut mucosal immunology
Research in in clinical education. Expertise in clinical teaching, faculty development, and clinical assessment, including assessor training.
No current supervision: I have supervised seven MD/PhD students.
I have been chair of three national bodies on education and endoscopy, (UK Joint Advisory Group on Gastrointestinal Endoscopy; NHS Endoscopy Education Steering Group; NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme Accreditation Panel).
Self-management as a means of improving quality of life in patients disabled by chronic inflammatory bowel disease. National Lottery Charities Board, £155,365
STOOL – Stepped Treatment Of Older adults with Laxatives. NHSE HTA programme, £564,845
LIFELAX – Diet and lifestyle vs laxatives in the management of constipation in older people. NHSE HTA programme, £681,322
A Core question bank linked to learning outcome for undergraduate medicine. HEFCE: FDTL4, £249,887
e-LfH Endoscopy - unrestricted DoH grant, 2008 - 2011.
- Barton JR, Corbett S, van der Vleuten CP, English Bowel Cancer Screening Programme, UK Joint Advisory Group for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. The validity and reliability of a Direct Observation of Procedural Skills assessment tool: assessing colonoscopic skills of senior endoscopists. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2012, 75(2), 591-597.
- Pellen MGC, Horgan LF, Barton JR, Attwood SE. Construct validity of the ProMIS laparoscopic simulator. Surgical Endoscopy 2009, 23(1), 130-139.
- Pellen M, Horgan L, Barton JR, Attwood S. Laparoscopic surgical skills assessment: can simulators replace experts?. World Journal of Surgery 2009, 33(3), 440-447.
- Wells CW, Inglis S, Barton R. Trainees in gastroenterology views on teaching in clinical gastroenterology and endoscopy. Medical Teacher 2009, 31(2), 138-144.
- Barton JR. Academic training schemes reviewed: Implications for the future development of our researchers and educators. Medical Education 2008, 42(2), 164-169.
- Yeates PJA, Stewart J, Barton JR. What can we expect of clinical teachers? Establishing consensus on applicable skills, attitudes and practices. Medical Education 2008, 42(2), 134-142.
- Chitsabesan P, Corbett S, Walker L, Spencer J, Barton JR. Describing clinical teachers' characteristics and behaviours using critical incidents and repertory grids. Medical Education 2006, 40(7), 645-653.
- Mckeown ES, Parry SD, Stansfield R, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome may occur after non-gastrointestinal and intestinal infection. Neurogastroenterology and Motility 2006, 18(9), 839-843.
- Barton JR. [MClinEd] An Evaluation of a Teaching and Research Fellowship Scheme. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University, 2005. School of Medical Education Development.
- Han SW, McColl E, Barton JR, James P, Steen IN, Welfare MR. Predictor's of quality of life in ulcerative colitis: The importance of symptoms and illness representations. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2005, 11(1), 24-34.
- McColl E, Han SW, Barton JR, Welfare MR. A comparison of the discriminatory power of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Questionnaire and the SF-36 in people with ulcerative colitis. Quality of Life Research 2004, 13(4), 805-811.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Phillips E, Gregory W, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Dietary beliefs of people with ulcerative colitis and their effect on relapse and nutrient intake. Clinical Nutrition 2004, 23(2), 161-170.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Pearce MS, Phillips E, Gregory W, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Influence of dietary factors on the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: a prospective cohort study. Gut 2004, 53(10), 1479-1484.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Phillips E, Gregory W, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Defining relapse of ulcerative colitis using a symptom-based activity index. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 2003, 38(2), 164-171.
- Parry SD, Stansfield R, Jelley D, Gregory W, Phillips E, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Does bacterial gastroenteritis predispose people to functional gastrointestinal disorders? A prospective, community-based, case-control study. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2003, 98(9), 1970-1975.
- Parry SD, Corbett S, James P, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Illness perceptions in people with acute bacterial gastroenteritis. Journal of Health Psychology 2003, 8(6), 693-704.
- Parry SD, Stansfield R, Jelley D, Gregory W, Phillips E, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Is irritable bowel syndrome more common in patients presenting with bacterial gastroenteritis? A community-based, case-control study. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2003, 98(2), 327-331.
- Parry SD, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Smoking is associated with the development of post-infectious irritable bowel sydrome. In: Gut: Annual Meeting of the British Society of Gastroenterology. 2003, Birmingham, UK: BMJ Group.
- Lawson RM, Doshi MK, Barton JR, Cobden I. The Effect of Unselected Post-Operative Nutritional Supplementation on Nutritional Status and Clinical Outcome of Orthopaedic Patients. Clinical Nutrition 2003, 22(1), 39-46.
- Parry SD, Corbett S, James P, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Does illness perception of bacterial gastro-enteritis differ in people with a functional gastro-intestinal disorder (FGID) and can it predict who will go on to develop a post infectious FGID? [abstract]. Gut 2002, 50(s2), A85 abstract no. 310.
- Parry SD, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Does infectious diarrhoea (ID) predispose people to functional gastro-intestinal disorders (FGIDs)? A prospective community case-control study [abstract]. Gut 2002, 50(s2), A1 abstract no. 001.
- Parry SD, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Is lactose intolerance implicated in the development of post infectious bowel symptoms in previously asymptomatic people? [abstract]. Gut 2002, 50(s2), A82-A83 abstract no. 301.
- Parry SD, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Is lactose intolerance implicated in the development of post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome or functional diarrhoea in previously asymptomatic people?. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2002, 14(11), 1225-1230.
- Parry SD, Welfare MR, Cobden I, Barton JR. Push enteroscopy in a UK district general hospital: experience of 51 cases over 2 years. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2002, 14(3), 305-309.
- Parry SD, Barbatzas C, Peel ET, Barton JR. Sulphasalazien and lung toxicity. European Respiratory Journal 2002, 19(4), 756-764.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Barton JR, Welfare MR. The short inflammatory bowel disease questionnaire is reliable and responsive to clinically important change in ulcerative colitis. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2001, 96(10), 2921-2928.
- Jowett SL, Seal CJ, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Use of the Simple Clinical Colitis Activity Index (SCCAI) to define relapse of ulcerative colitis (UC). In: British Society of Gastroenterology Annual Meeting. 2001, Glasgow, UK: BMJ Group.
- Stewart J, O'Halloran C, Barton JR, Singleton SJ, Harrigan P, Spencer J. Clarifying the concepts of confidence and competence to produce appropriate self-evaluation measurement scales. Medical Education 2000, 34(11), 903-909.
- Han SW, McColl E, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Comparisons between generic and disease-specific quality of life measures in ulcerative colitis. The importance of age and co-morbidity. In: GASTROENTEROLOGY. 2000.
- Lawson RM, Doshi MK, Ingoe LE, Colligan JM, Barton JR, Cobden I. Compliance of orthopaedic patients with postoperative oral nutritional supplementation. Clinical Nutrition 2000, 19(3), 171-175.
- Chaplin A, Curless R, Thomson R, Barton R. Prevalence of lower gastrointestinal symptoms and associated consultation behaviour in a British elderly population determined by face-to-face interview. British Journal of General Practice 2000, 50(459), 798-802.
- Parry SD, Cobden I, Barton JR, Welfare MR. Push enteroscopy in a medium-sized UK hospital. In: GASTROINTESTINAL ENDOSCOPY. 2000.
- Han SW, McColl E, Steen IN, Barton JR, James P, Welfare MR. The predictors of hospital clinic visits in patients with ulcerative colitis: An examination of disease variables, quality of life and illness perception. In: GASTROENTEROLOGY. 2000.
- Han SW, McColl E, Steen IN, Barton JR, Welfare MR, James P. The predictors of self-reported relapse in ulcerative colitis: Quality of life and number of symptoms experienced may be more important than disease extent and activity. In: GASTROENTEROLOGY. 2000.
- Sayer JM, Donnelly MT, McIntyre AS, Barton JR, Grundman MJ, Vicary FR, Long RG. Barium enema or colonoscopy for the investigation of iron deficiency anaemia. Journal Royal College Physicians London 1999, 33, 543-8.
- Welfare MR, Price CIM, Han SW, Barton JR. Experiences of volunteer patients during undergraduate examinations: Printed information can lead to greater satisfaction. Medical Education 1999, 33(3), 165-169.
- Stewart J, O'Halloran C, Harrigan P, Spencer JA, Barton JR, Singleton SJ. Identifying appropriate tasks for the preregistration year: modified Delphi technique. British Medical Journal 1999, 319(7204), 224-229.
- Han SW, James P, Welfare MR, Barton JR. Illness perception and health-related quality of life in ulcerative colitis. In: Gut. 1999, BMJ Group.
- Han SW, James P, Welfare MR, Barton JR. Illness perception of ulcerative colitis patients. In: Gut. 1999, BMJ Group.
- Han SW, Barton JR, Welfare MR. No apparent increase of colon cancer in relatives of ulcerative colitis patients. American Journal of Gastroenterology 1999, 94(8), 2323-2324.
- Prince MI, Osborne JS, Ingoe L, Jones DE, Cobden I, Barton JR. The CLO test in the UK: inappropriate reading and missed results. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 1999, 11(11), 1251-1254.
- Jones DEJ, Barton JR, Cobden I. Painless small bowel ischemia presenting with diarrhoea and weight loss. American Journal of Gastroenterology 1998, 93, 653-5.
- Siddheshwar RK, Jordan RK, Macphail S, Taylor R, Spencer JA, Snashall PD, Grevesen G, Kanu FCS, Welfare MR, Barton JR. Teaching clinical skills in a regional medical school: satisfaction and outcome. In: AMEE Meeting. 1998, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Han S-W, McColl E, Steen N, Barton JR, Welfare MW. The Inflammatory bowel disease questionnaire: A valid and reliable measure in ulcerative colitis patients in the North East of England. Scand J Gastroenterol 1998, 33, 961-966.
- Dale R, Barton R. Why are doctors ambivalent about patients who misuse alcohol? The case history and survey of doctors attitudes. British Medical Journal 1997, 315, 1297-8.
- Arranz E, Barton JR, O'Mahoney S, Ferguson A. Immunosenescence and mucosal immunity : significant effects of old age on secretory lgA concentrations and intraepithelial lymphocyte counts. Gut 1992, 33, 882-886.
- O'Mahoney S, Arranz E, Barton JR, Ferguson A. Dissociation between systemic and mucosal humoral immune responses in coeliac disease. Gut 1991, 32, 29-35.
- Choudhari CP, O'Mahoney S, Barton JR, Walker S, Ferguson A. Gut lavage fluid proteins as markers of activity in inflammatory bowel disease. Scandinavian Journal Gastroenterology 1991, 26, 946-949.
- Riad MA, Barton JR, Wilson JA, Freeman CPL, Maran AGD. Parotid salivary secretory abnormalities in bulimia nervosa. Acta Otolaryngol 1991, 111, 392-395.
- Sedgwick DM, Barton JR, Hamer-Hodges DW, Nixon SJ, Ferguson A. Population-based study of surgery in juvenile onset Crohn's disease. British Journal Surgery 1991, 78, 171-175.
- Sedgwick DM, Barton JR, Hamer-Hodges DW, Nixon SJ, Ferguson A. Population-based study of surgery in juvenile onset ulcerative colitis. British Journal Surgery 1991, 78, 171-175.
- Srivastava ED, Barton JR, O'Mahoney S, Phillips DM, Williams GT, Matthews N, Ferguson A, Rhodes J. Smoking, humoral immunity, and ulcerative colitis. Gut 1991, 32, 1016-1019.
- O'Mahoney S, Barton JR, Crighton S, Ferguson A. Appraisal of gut lavage in the study of intestinal humoral immunity. Gut 1990, 31, 1341-1344.
- Barton JR, Ferguson A. Clinical features, morbidity, and mortality of Scottish children with inflammatory bowel disease. Quart J Med 1990, 75, 423-439.
- Barton JR, Riad MA, Gaze MR, Maran AGD, Ferguson A. Mucosal immunodeficiency in smokers and in patients with epithelial head and neck tumours. Gut 1990, 31, 378-382.
- Barton JR, Ferguson A. Failure to record variables of growth and development in children with inflammatory bowel disease. British Medical Journal 1989, 298, 865-866.
- Barton JR, Gillon SG, Ferguson A. Incidence of inflammatory bowel disease in Scottish children between 1968 and 1983: marginal fall in ulcerative colitis, threefold rise in Crohn's disease. Gut 1989, 30, 618-622.
- Barton JR, Godfrey SG. Un-health promotion : results of a survey of alcohol promotion of television. British Medical Journal 1988, 296, 1593-1594.