Our MB BS Honours programme is an integrated five-year undergraduate medical course.
The Newcastle UK MB BS programme is recognised by:
Our programme is equivalent to the one delivered at our Medical School in the UK. Following successful completion of the programme you will be awarded the degrees Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB BS) by Newcastle University, UK.
While all five years are delivered in Malaysia, there are opportunities during the fourth year of the course to study in the UK. In addition, you may also have the opportunity of studying an extra year in the UK for an intercalated research qualification at either Bachelors or Masters level.
We are no longer receiving application for the academic year 2017/18.
Applicants from non-Malaysian citizens for entry to the NUMed Malaysia MB BS programme should read carefully the information about careers.
MB BS places are not available at NUMed Malaysia for citizens of the UK or from countries of the EC. Such applicants should apply through the UK UCAS system for a place at our UK campus.
It is a requirement that all international students receive approval from the Malaysian Immigration Department and a Student Pass.
Application for a Student Pass will be managed by NUMed Malaysia. It is the prerogative of the Malaysian Immigration Department and the Ministry of Higher Education to approve or reject any visa application.
For the MB BS programme, additional compulsory Bahasa Melayu language provision is provided.
How To Apply
Application for 2018/19 opens in October 2017. The closing date for receipt of international applications is 30th June 2018. This is to permit enough time for us to schedule interviews and assist successful students to obtain their student visa.
- Interviews will take place via Skype. Offers are made within a week of the interview and if you are made an offer of place, you will need to secure it by paying a deposit of RM20, 000. This is refundable only if you made a conditional offer on forecast grades and do not make your grades.
- Applicants must demonstrate their ability in English. If required, some students may be asked to provide the IELTS English Language qualification, for which a minimum score of 7 overall must be achieved. A MUET score of 4 is also acceptable.
- Apply directly to NUMed Malaysia and not through the UCAS system.
The date of registration for enrolment in 2018 is Monday 24th September 2018.
Programme Fees for entry September 2018
International students: RM105, 000 for each year of the five year programme.
The single inclusive annual fee is charged to cover the costs of: tuition, library, laboratory, placements, examination, administration, and all other academic-related charges. There are no additional hidden fees for initial application, annual registration, re-examination, or graduation. Fees will be charged in Malaysian Ringgit (RM).
In addition to your tuition fees you will also need money for living expenses, including accommodation costs. The estimated living cost per month in Malaysia is RM 2,000.
The overall cost of obtaining the degree in Malaysia will be approximately 40% less that the cost of obtaining the same degree wholly in the UK.
The cost of studies for an international student in the UK for 2018-19 have not yet been confirmed
What to expect as an international student at NUMed Malaysia
The most recent instalment of the Annual International Student Barometer, which measures international student satisfaction at 270 Universities and Colleges worldwide, has revealed year-on-year growth in international student satisfaction at Newcastle University since the surveys began in 2005.
NUMed Malaysia intends to replicate this reputation in Malaysia.
Sri Lanka Medical CouncilSri Lanka Medical Council
List of foreign medical schools recognised by the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) is listed under "Foreign Universities". For full registration, graduates from these medical schools will have to complete the ERPM and serve a period of internship recognised by the SLMC.
Further details can be obtained from Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) website.
Applicants from Sri Lanka wishing to study at NUMed should apply to the Sri Lanka Medical Council prior to starting to study MBBS as per the guidance on the SLMC website. Prospective medical students seeking admission to a foreign medical school would need to verify the following from the Registrar of SLMC:
- Whether the medical/dental school awarding the relevant degree is recognized by the SLMC.
- Whether prospective students possess the mandatory educational entry qualifications stipulated by the SLMC to follow courses in medicine/dentistry which are two credit passes and one simple pass in the Biology stream in one and same sitting with following subjects Biology, Chemistry and Physics at the GCE (Advanced Level). For Edexcel GCE (Advanced Level) or Cambridge GCE (Advanced Level) two ‘C’s and one ‘D’ in the Biology stream in one and same sitting for the same subjects.
** Please note that the Foundation Courses conducted by various Institutions and Medical Schools are NOT considered equivalent to the GCE (Advanced Level) in Sri Lanka.
The Medical Council of ThailandThe Medical Council of Thailand
Registration with the Thailand Medical Council
To register as a member of TMC, an applicant must attain the age of 20 years, obtain a medical degree from an institution accredited with TMC.
Information can be found at the following website - http://www.tmc.or.th/en_nameofrecognized-Foreign.php. However, in order to practice in Thailand the graduate would be required to sit for qualifying exams as required.
(www.cmathai.org) - http://www.tmc.or.th/en_how-foreign.php
Part 1 Basic Medical Science
Part 2 Clinical Science
Part 3 MEQ (Modify Essay Question) / Long Case examination OSCE(Objective Structure Clinical Examination)
- The part 1 and part 2 of examinations are conducted in English. The part 3 is conducted in Thai. However the applicants have to be able to know Thai language for each process of their application.
- For Thai citizens study in Thai medical schools have been performed the same processes.
Requirement for each part
Part 1 -hold certificate from the medical school that he has full filled all subjects of pre-clinical science according to the curriculum for not less than 2 semesters.
Part 2 -hold certificate from the medical school that he has full filled all subjects of clinical science according to the curriculum for not less than 2 semesters.
Part 3 -passed the part 1 and part 2 exam which the duration of each part passing not more than 7 years.
-applicant who graduated from aboard have to hold the license to practice medicine from aboard which is recognized by The Medical Council Of Thailand.
Medical Council of IndiaMedical Council of India
Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia is recognised by the Medical Council of India for the purposes of issuance of Eligibility Certificate which entitles the student to appear in the Screening Test and grant of provisional/permanent registration by the concerned State Medical Council.
Please see the following webpage: https://www.mciindia.org/ActivitiWebClient/informationdesk/forStudentstoStudyAbroad
Applicants from India wishing to study at NUMed should apply to the Medical Council of India prior to starting to study MBBS as per the guidance on the MCI website: https://www.mciindia.org/ActivitiWebClient/informationdesk/downloadApplicationForms
Applicants as part of the required documentation should submit:
- Eligibility Certificate, Form MCI-01
- Original Proof of Admission in Foreign Medical University (along with three self-attested photocopies)
- The completed Eligibility Certificate application to the MCI, based in New Delhi, can be by post or in person. Original certificates and a fee (currently Rs2000) are required.
International Medical Directory (IMED)International Medical Directory (IMED)
Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia is listed in the International Medical Directory (IMED) maintained by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER). Our FAIMER School ID is: F0003188. While the Newcastle MBBS is recognised by many different countries, applicants from outside Malaysia are advised to check with own individual national authorities if they wish to practise in their own Country.
Travel and Immigration RegulationsTravel and Immigration Regulations
International Student Visa & Student Pass Guidelines Intake
Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) is the one stop centre student visa processing office for International Students who pursue their studies in Malaysia. It is a requirement by the Immigration Department of Malaysia that students must apply and obtain the approval for a student pass before the start of the programme. International students must attend the Pre-Arrival Medical check-up in their home country before the institution can submit the student visa application to EMGS to obtain the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) from Immigration Malaysia.
Documents required for submission to EMGS
- Passport with validity 72 months.
- Immigration Malaysia will be issuing on a one-off basis a student pass based on the duration of the programme and subject to the validity period of your passport. This is solely at the discretion of Immigration Malaysia
Resident permit or evidence of your stay if you are not staying in your home country. Please provide a copy of your Residence permit or evidence of your stay. If it is not written in English, you are required to translate the document in English for submission to EMGS.
2. Passport size Photo
- White Background.
- Size 5cm x 3.5cm
- Passport photo guidelines
3. Official Academic Transcript
- Scanned / Photocopy in colour copies. Please maek sure copies are visible.
4. Pre – Arrival Medical Screening in your home country
- To be completed in your home country.
- Please follow the EMGS Medical Health Form required examination
5. International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (By Student) and Yellow Fever Certificate
It is a requirement that students submit the International Certificate of Vaccination with their student visa application.
Please refer below to the vaccinations required:-
- Meningitis (Quadrivalent)
- Hepatitis B
- Other (if any)
Post – Arrival Medical Screening in Malaysia.
We will arrange you to attend the Post-arrival medical screening at the appointed clinic by EMGS within 7 days of your arrival. We will advise the date of your appointment.
Student pass approval is subject to your post-arrival medical health check report. We will notify you via e-mail should your report failed. Appealing of medical health check report is subject to the approval from EMGS.
** You are NOT PERMITTED to arrange any travel arrangement to Singapore for short visit upon your arrival to Malaysia until EMGS provide us with the Supporting Letter approving NUMed to endorse your student pass at Immigration Malaysia. This process may takes approximate 2 – 3 weeks after your post-arrival medical screening.
We will notify you when to submit your passport via e-mail as soon as we received the Supporting Letter from EMGS for endorsement of student pass.
Opening Bank Account
We only can assist you opening the MayBank local bank account after endorsement of student pass has occurred. Banks will not assist you if you do not have student pass. If you are under age of 18 years old, please carry an appropriate amount of money. The local bank has imposed a regulation that international students would not be able to open a savings account before they reach the age of 18 years old.