This is a flexible, practice-based programme studied over one year. The annual intake is in January.
It is designed for health professionals and others who are involved in, or wish to develop an interest in, medical education. It has been designed to provide students with opportunities to develop a scholarly approach to medical education and to acquire the expertise necessary for effective medical education in the context of their own educational roles, responsibilities and interests.
The programme aims to enable students to acquire advanced skills and knowledge so that they can contribute effectively to educational practice and the development of medical education as a discipline. It encourages a scholarly approach to the evaluation of established practice and educational initiatives, balancing receptiveness to new ideas with critical analysis.
The topics covered include:
- developing skills in designing and delivering teaching sessions in a variety of situations, and receiving observation and feedback on this
- principles and practice of assessment, feedback and evaluation
- learning theories and the application of them to their own practice
- developing knowledge and skills in how to design and deliver larger programmes of learning
On the completion of the programme students should be able to:
- use theories and principles underpinning medical education to inform their own educational practice and practice of others
- relate educational issues in clinical practice to the wider educational context
- critically appraise theory, ‘evidence’ and empirical data as well as their own practice
- design and deliver educational interventions
- select the most appropriate educational strategies and methods for specified contexts
- take a strategic approach to their own identified educational needs and plan appropriately to address them
- communicate effectively orally and in writing
- use e-library and other online information sources skilfully and appropriately
- plan, organise and prioritise work activities in order to meet deadlines
- work independently
Successful completion of the programme will lead to the award, by Newcastle University, of the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education. Entry requirements will be first degree, or equivalent qualification, in a healthcare profession, or first degree from another relevant discipline.
Our Medical Education Programme has been designed to provide its students with opportunities to develop a scholarly approach to medical education and to acquire the expertise necessary for effective medical education in the context of their own educational roles, responsibilities and interests.
Applications are welcome throughout the year but the application deadline for commencing each academic year is the end of August. We will consider applicants individually after this date.
Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English.
For further information please visit the Medical Education course website.
Enquiries can be directed to:
MedEd Programme Co-ordinator
Tel: +44 (0)191 208 4522/ +44 (0)191 208 4819
Fax: +44 (0)191 208 5016