Dr Adam Rathbone
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 2345
- Personal Website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Rathbone
I joined Newcastle University as part of the School of Pharmacy in September 2017 having formerly worked as a Senior Clinical Pharmacist at Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. Whilst at Northumbria I worked at the Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital, Cramlington and led major research projects exploring emerging models of integrated pharmacy practice.
I completed my clinical pharmacy training in the North East, working at the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough and completed the MPharm and postgraduate diploma in clinical pharmacy at the University of Sunderland. I am currently working towards an independent prescribing qualification in respiratory medicine and general practice.
My research interests bridge pharmaceutical and sociological paradigms and includes exploring phenomenon such as patients' experiences of medicines use, professional identity and inter-disciplinary collaboration. I am currently a Visiting Research Fellow at the School of Applied Social Sciences, Durham University.
Current research projects I'm involved in relate to:
- community pharmacists experiences of medicines adherence interventions
- community pharmacy spaces
- pharmacy and extreme weather events
- emerging models of pharmacy practice (including the Northumbria Vanguard Foundation Pharmacist Programme and Ward-based Medicines Assistants Project)
- medical education
- Baqir W, Rathbone AP, Stocker A, Campbell D. Foundation pharmacists in GP Practice: exploring experiences of future workforce development. In: Clinical Pharmacy Congress 2017. 2017, London, UK.
- Rathbone AP, Todd A, Jamie K, Bonam M, Banks L, Husband AK. A systematic review and thematic synthesis of patients’ experience of medicines adherence. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2017, 13(3), 403-439.
- Rathbone AP, Mansoor SM, Krass K, Hamrosi K, Aslani P. Qualitative study to conceptualise a model of interprofessional collaboration between pharmacists and general practitioners to support patients' adherence to medication. BMJ Open 2016, 6(3), e010488.
- Rathbone AP, Jamie K. Transferring from Clinical Pharmacy Practice to Qualitative Research: Questioning Identity, Epistemology and Ethical Frameworks. Sociological Research Online 2016, 21(2), 1-9.
- Rathbone AP, Husband AK, Todd A, Jamie K. PP53 “I’ve never been a big tablet taker”: a phenomenology of the experiences of medicines adherence in men with diabetes. J Epidemiol Community Health 2015, 69(Suppl 1), A75-A76.
- Rathbone AP, Husband AK, Todd A, Jamie K. "I've never been a big tablet taker": a phenomenology of the experiences of medicines adherence in men with diabetes. In: 59th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Social Medicine. 2015, Dublin: BMJ Group.