Dr Hamde Nazar
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 2082361
- Address: School of Pharmacy
King George VI building
I am a qualified pharmacist registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council. I have teaching and research expertise in the areas of pharmaceutics, pharmacy practice, and public health.
I have worked in academia since graduating in 2007, as I undertook a 6-month community pharmacy/academia pre-registration split placement. I have avidly contributed to MPharm programmes in three different Schools of Pharmacy, and am now the MPharm Programme Director for the Newcastle undergraduate pharmacy programme. I have a keen interest in education and pedagogical design and research.
My experience of practicing pharmacy has been mainly gained from community pharmacy and in contributing to local professional groups such as the Local Professional Network and Local Pharmaceutical Committee. I also work closely with the Director of Pharmacy and colleagues at Newcastle Hospital Trust, where I have a role as an Honorary Research Pharmacist.
I have also developed my knowledge and skills in pharmaceutical public health and health service research by undertaking a Masters in Public Health from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
I started my research career in Pharmaceutics, specifically novel nasal drug delivery systems for proteins and peptides. This involved fundamental polymer chemistry, formulation design through to in vitro and in vivo testing. I then moved into the field of Pharmacy Practice where I am actively engaged in health service research. My specific focus is to investigate the increasing contributing roles and greater integration of pharmacy to the wider NHS. My engagement with local Trusts, as an Honorary Research Pharmacist for Newcastle-upon-Tyne Hospital Trust, with local professional networks and local pharmaceutical committees has resulted in key projects that are of national interest and have the potential to impact national health policy and practice.
Current projects include the investigation of;
- pharmacy interventions to improve clinical handover of care between care settings and,
- the implementation and sustainability of clinical pharmaceutical services.
As a committed educator of the next generation of pharmacists, I have keen interest in the development and implementation of engaging pharmacy education to prepare graduates for the diversifying professional world of pharmacy.
I actively research to capture and disseminate pedagogical lessons learnt in the journey to continually improve and optimise our MPharm programme provision and further inform the evidence in pharmacy education.
I am the MPharm Programme Director currently managing the teaching and learning provision for the undergraduate cohort. As a qualified pharmacist with research training in pharmaceutics I primarily contribute to all Stages of the programme that involve pharmacy practice and pharmaceutics. I work closely with colleagues to support the development of reflective practice, clinical skills, interprofessional educational and work-based learning opportunities.
I am keenly interested to adopt technology and innovate teaching that is evidence-based to support student engagement, and improve experience and learning.
- Nazar H, Obara I, Paterson A, Nazar Z, Portlock JC, Husband AK. A consensus approach to investigate undergraduate pharmacy students' experience of interprofessional education. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2017, 81(2), 1-16.
- Nazar H, Watson N, Akhter N, Slight S. A formative service evaluation of transfer of care initiative from hospital to community pharmacy demonstrates an association with lower patient hospital readmissions. In: International Society for Quality in Healthcare (ISQuA). 2017, London, UK. In Preparation.
- Nazar H, Akhter N, Husband A. Evaluation of a blended learning approach to teach pharmacy law. In: Pharmacy Education Symposium. 2017, Prato, Italy.
- Nazar M, Husband A, Nazar H. Medical education in the press: Read all about it!. In: Pharmacy Education Symposium. 2017, Prato, Italy. In Preparation.
- Kontogiannidou E, Andreadis D, Zografos A, Nazar H, Klepetsanis P, vanderMerwe S, Fatouros D. Ex vivo buccal delivery of ropinirole hydrochloride in the presence of permeation enhancers: the effect of charge. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology 2016.
- Ferguson J, Seston E, Nazar H, Ashcroft D. Implementing seamless transfer of care from hospital to community: lessons from two case studies. In: International Social Pharmacy Workshop. 2016, Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Nazar H, Brice S, Akhter N, Kasim A, Gunning A, Slight SP, Watson NW. New transfer of care initiative of electronic referral from hospital to community pharmacy in England: A formative service evaluation. BMJ Open 2016, 6(10), e012532.
- Nazar H, Nazar Z, Yeung A, Simpson J, Whittlesea C. Use of a service evaluation and lean thinking transformation to redesign an NHS 111 refer to community Pharmacy for Emergency Repeat Medication Supply Service (PERMSS). BMJ Open 2016, 6, e011269.
- Nazar H, Nazar Z, Portlock J, Todd A, Slight SP. A systematic review of the role of community pharmacies in improving the transition from secondary to primary care. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2015, 80(5), 936-948.
- Lindsey L, Husband A, Nazar H, Todd A. Promoting the early detection of cancer: A systematic review of community pharmacy-based education and screening interventions. Cancer Epidemiology 2015, 39(5), 673-681.
- Nazar H, Nazar Z, Yeung A, Simpson J, Whittlesea C. Summative service and stakeholder evaluation of an NHS-funded community Pharmacy Emergency Repeat Medication Supply Service (PERMSS). BMJ Open 2015, 6, e009736.
- Nazar H, Nazar M, Rothwell C, Portlock J, Chaytor A, Husband A. Teaching safe prescribing to medical Students: perspectives in the UK. Advances in Medical Education and Practice 2015, 2015(6), 279-295.
- Nazar M, Kendall K, Day L, Nazar H. Decolonising medical curricula through diversity education. Medical Teacher 26, 1-9. Medical Teacher 2014, 26, 1-9.
- Todd A, Nazar H, Pearson S, Andrew I, Baker L, Husband A. Inappropriate prescribing in patients accessing specialist palliative day care services. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2014, 36(3), 535-543.
- Karavasili C, Katsamenis O, Bouropoulos N, Nazar H, Thurner P, vanderMerwe S, Fatouros D. Preparation and characterisation of bioadhesive microparticles comprised of low degree of quaternization trimethylated chitosan for nasal administration: effect of concentration and molecular weight. ACS Langmuir 2014, 30, 12337-12344.
- Nazar H, Caliceti P, Carpenter B, El-Mallah A, Fatouros D, vanderMerwe S, Roldo M, Tsibouklis J. A simple, once-a-day dosage form for the delivery of insulin through the nasal route: formulation, in vitro assessment and in vivo evaluation, Biomaterials Science 1 (3) 306-314. Biomaterials Science 2013, 1, 306-314.
- Nazar H, Roldo M, Fatouros D, vanderMerwe S, Tsibouklis J. Hydrogels in mucosal delivery. Therapeutic Delivery 2012, 3, 535-555.
- Nazar H, Tsibouklis J. Towards the nasal delivery of insulin, Therapeutic Delivery 3, 1241-1243. Therapeutic Delivery 2012, 3, 1241-1243.
- Fatouros D, Douroumis D, Nikolakis V, Ntais S, Moschovi S, Trivedi V, Khima B, Roldo M, Nazar H, Cox P. In vitro and in silico investigations of drug delivery via zeolite BEA, Journal of Materials Chemistry 21 (21) 7789-7794. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2011, 21, 7789-7794.
- Nazar H, Fatouros D, vanderMerwe S, Bouropolous N, Avgouropoulos G, Tsibouklis J, Roldo M. Thermosensitive hydrogels for nasal drug delivery: the formulation and characterisation of systems based on N-trimethyl chitosan chloride. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 2011, 77, 225-232.