Dr Jonathan Harburn
Lecturer in Medicinal Chemistry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 2082349
- Address: School of Pharmacy
Faculty of Medical Sciences
King George IV Building
Queen Victoria Road
NE1 4LF, UK
Jonathan Harburn is a Lecturer in Medicinal Chemistry in the School of Pharmacy and the Institute of Cellular Medicine.
He gained his PhD in the field of Medicinal Chemistry from Loughborough University under the supervision of Professor Brian Marples, a MRC AIDS Directed Programme Studentship focussing on the synthesis of novel HIV-1 protease inhibitors. Jonathan was awarded a NIH Post-Doctoral Research Assistantship and moved to University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL) to work with Professor Chris Spilling developing metal catalysed biaryl ether coupling methodology towards the synthesis and biological evaluation of cytotoxic natural products and analogues at National Cancer Institute.
After accepting an Assistant Professor position at UMSL he then went on to work at Stereotaxis, Inc. as Senior Medical Research Scientist collaborating with Barnes Jewish Hospital and Washington University in St. Louis. He led a multidisciplinary team developing nanomagnetic x-ray visible medical platforms for use as interventional neuroradiological treatment of intracranial aneurysm. On return to UK in 2004 he was appointed Senior Lecturer in Medicinal Chemistry at University of Sunderland before joining Durham University in 2012 and helped establish the new Division of Pharmacy within the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health. In August 2017 the School was transferred to Newcastle University resulting in the creation of the School of Pharmacy.
- Tefft BJ, Uthamaraj S, Harbuzariu A, Harburn JJ, Witt TA, Newman B, Psaltis PJ, Hlinomaz O, Holmes DR, Gulat R, Simari RD, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Nanoparticle-Mediated Cell Capture Enables Rapid Endothelialization of a Novel Bare Metal Stent. Tissue Engineering Part A 2018, ePub ahead of print.
- Jain M, Harburn JJ, Gill JH, Loadman PM, Falconer RA, Mooney C, Cobb SL, Berry DJ. Rationalized Computer-Aided design of Matrix Metalloprotease-Selective Prodrugs. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2017, 60(10), 4496-4502.
- Tefft BJ, Uthamaraj S, Harburn JJ, Hlinomaz O, Lerman A, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Magnetizable stent-grafts enable endothelial cell capture. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 2017, 427, 100-104.
- Cockerill GS, Harburn JJ. An antimicrobial compound. WO2016166546 A1, 26/10/2016.
- Corner PA, Harburn JJ, Steed JW, McCabe JF, Berry DJ. Stabilisation of an amorphous form of ROY through a predicted co-former interaction. Chemical Communications 2016, 52(39), 6537-6540.
- Uthamaraj S, Tefft BJ, Newman B, Harburn JJ, Klabusay M, Hlinomaz O, Holmes DR, Simari RD, Sandhu GS, Dragomir-daescu D. Design of a magnetic stent that enables rapid endothelial cell capture. In: The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions' 37th Annual Scientific Sessions. 2014, Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Tefft BJ, Uthamaraj S, Harburn JJ, Klabusay M, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Cell labeling and targeting with superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles. Journal of Visualized Experiments 2015, 105, e53099.
- Tefft BJ, Uthamaraj S, Harburn JJ, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Nanotechnology enabled rapid endothelialisation of stent-grafts. In: ESC Congress 2015. 2015, London, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Tefft BJ, Gooden JY, Uthamaraj S, Harburn JJ, Klabusay M, Holmes DR, Simari RD, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Magnetizable duplex steel stents enable endothelial cell capture. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 2013, 49(1), 463-466.
- Tefft BJ, Uthamaraj S, Harburn JJ, Klabusay M, Hlinomaz O, Holmes DR, Simari RD, Dragomir-Daescu D, Sandhu GS. Novel Duplex Steel Stent Enables Nanoparticle Mediated Cell Capture and Demonstrates Endothelialization at Three Days. Circulation 2013, 128, A17962.
- Kottakota SK, Evangelopoulos D, Alnimr A, Bhakta S, McHugh TD, Gray M, Groundwater PW, Marrs ECL, Perry JD, Spilling CD, Harburn JJ. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Purpurealidin E-Derived Marine Sponge Metabolites: Aplysamine-2, Aplyzanzine A, and Suberedamines A and B. JOURNAL OF NATURAL PRODUCTS 2012, 75(6), 1090-1101.
- Kottakota SK, Benton M, Evangelopoulos D, Guzman JD, Bhakta S, McHugh TD, Gray M, Groundwater PW, Marrs ECL, Perry JD, Harburn JJ. Versatile Routes to Marine Sponge Metabolites through Benzylidene Rhodanines. ORGANIC LETTERS 2012, 14(24), 6310-6313.
- Gray M, Harburn JJ. Dynamic covalent chemistry in fragment-based drug design. In: Encyclopedia of Supramolecular Chemistry. 2011, pp.1-9.
- Harburn JJ, Ritter RC. Magnetically guidable carriers and methods for the targeted magnetic delivery of substances in the body. US7189198, 13/03/2007.
- Brook CE, Harris WR, Spilling CD, Peng W, Harburn JJ, Srisung S. Effect of ligand structure on the pathways for iron release from human serum transferrin. Inorganic Chemistry 2005, 44(14), 5183-5191.
- Harburn JJ, Rath NP, Spilling CD. Efficient synthesis of tyrosine-derived marine sponge metabolites via acylation of amines with a coumarin. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2005, 70(16), 6398-6403.
- Harris LA, Goff JD, Carmichael AY, Riffle JS, Harburn JJ, StPierre TG, Saunders M. Magnetite nanoparticle dispersions stabilized with triblock copolymers. Chemistry of Materials 2003, 15(6), 1367-1377.
- Harburn JJ, Miller KM, Ritter RC, Hastings RN. Magnetically responsive embolic materials. WO2003051451A1, 26/06/2003.
- Boehlow TR, Harburn JJ, Spilling CD. Approaches to the synthesis of some tyrosine-derived marine sponge metabolites: Synthesis of Verongamine and Purealidin N. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2001, 66(9), 3111-3118.
- Harburn JJ, Loftus GC, Marples BA. Synthesis of novel steroidal inhibitors of HIV-1 protease. Tetrahedron 1998, 54(39), 11907-11924.
- Harburn JJ, Loftus GC, Marples BA. Steroid A-Ring Aromatisation of C-Ring Substituted 1, 4-dien-3-ones. Journal of Chemical Research (S) 1998, 424-425.