Professor Moein Moghimi
Professor of Pharmaceutics and Nanomedicine
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (191) 208 2363
- Address: School of Pharmacy, King George V1 Building, and
Institute of Cellular Medicine, William Leech Building
Since August 2017, Moein Moghimi is a Professor of Pharmaceutics and Nanomedicine (School of Pharmacy) and Research Professor (Institute of Cellular Medicine) at Newcastle University (UK). He is also an Adjoint Professor at the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado-Denver Medical Center (USA). His earlier appontments have included Professor and Chair in Pharmaceutics at the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, Durham University, UK (2016-2017); Full Affiliate Member/Professor at the Methodist Research Institute, Houston Methodist Hospital Systems, Houston, Texas, USA (2013-2017); Visiting Professor at Università Degli Studi Di Padova, Padova, Italy (2015), where he designed and delivered the first integrated Nanomedicine-Business course in Europe with Dr. Farhangrazi (Denver University and Biotrends International); Professor of Nanomedicine at the Department of Pharmacy, Professor of Pharmaceutical Nanotechology at the NanoScience Centrer, and Founder/Director of the multi-million Dollar Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology and Nanotoxiocology at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark (2008-2015); Honorary Professor of Nanomedicine at the Multidisciplinary Research Center, Shantou University, China (2008-2010); Senior Lecturer in Biopharmacy and Molecular Pharmaceutics at the School of Pharmacy, University of Brighton, UK (1998-2008); and University Research Fellow in Advanced Drug Delivery Systems at the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK. Moein studied Biochemistry at the University of Manchester (1982-1985) and obtained his PhD in Biochemistry from Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School (Imperial College London) (July 1988).
Professor Moghimi further functions as Deputy Editor for Molecular Therapy (Cell Press) and Associate Editor for Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology (American Scientific Publishers). Between 2010 and 2016, he served as Associate Editor for Nanomedicine (Elsevier). Professor Moghimi also features on editorial board of several peer-reviewed international journals including Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews (Elsevier), Drug Delivery (Taylor Francis), Journal of Controlled Release (Elsevier), Nanomedicine-UK (Future Medicine) and Scientific Reports (Springer Nature).
FULL PUBLICATION LIST:
SELECTED REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS:
- Moghimi, S. M. (2018) Nanomedicine safety in preclinical and clinical development: focus on idiosyncratic injection/infusion reactions. Drug Discovery Today (in press).
- Boraschi, D., Italiani, P., Palomba, R., Decuzzi, P., Duschl, A., Fadeel, B. and Moghimi, S. M. (2017) Nanoparticles and innate immunity: new perspectives on host defence. Seminars in Immunology 34: 33–51.
- Griffin, J. I., Wang, G., Smith, W. J., Vu, V. P., Scheinman, R., Stitch, D., Moldovan, R., Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2017) Revealing dynamics of accumulation of systemically injected liposomes in the skin by intravital microscopy. ACS Nano 11: 11584–11593.
- Wibro, P. P., Anselmo, A. C., Nilsson, P., Sarode, A., Gupta, V., Urbanics, R., Szebeni, J., Hunter, A. C., Mitragotri, S., Mollnes, T. E. and Moghimi, S. M. (2017) By-passing injection reactions to nanoparticles through shape modification and attachment to erythrocyte. Nature Nanotechnology 12: 589–594.
- Chen, F., Wang, G., Griffin, J., Brenneman, B., Banda, N. K., Holers, V. M. , Backos, D. S., Wu, L-P., Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2017) Complement proteins bind to nanoparticle protein corona and undergo dynamic exchange in vivo. Nature Nanotechnology 12: 387–393.
- Anchordoquy, T., Barenholz, Y., Boraschi, D., Chorny, M., Decuzzi, P., Debrovolskaia, M., Farhangrazi, Z. S., Farrell, D., Gabizon, A., Ghandehari, H. R., Godin, B., La-Beck, N. H., Ljubimova, J., Moghimi, S. M., Pagliano, L., Park, J-H., Peer, D., Ruoslahti, E., Serkova, N. J. and D. Simberg (2017) Mechanisms and barriers in anti-cancer nanomedicine: addressing challenges, looking for solutions. ACS Nano 11: 12–18.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2017) Complement activation turnover on surfaces of nanoparticles. Nano Today 15: 8–10.
- Hall, A., Lächelt, U., Bartek, J., Wagner, E. and Moghimi, S. M. (2017) Polyplex evolution: understanding biology, optimizing performance. Molecular Therapy 25: 1476–1490.
- Wu, L-P., Ficker, M., Mijlsoe, S. L., Hall, A., Paolucci, V., Christensen, J. B., Trohopoulos, P. N. and Moghimi, S. M. (2017) Poly-(amidoamine) dendrimers with a precisely core positioned sulforhodamine B molecule for comparative biological tracing and profiling. Journal of Controlled Release 246: 88–97.
- Wu, L., Uldahl, K. B., Chen, F., Benasutti, H., Logvinski, D., Vu, V., Banda, N. K., Peng, X., Simberg, D. and Moghimi, S. M. (2017) Interaction of extremophilic archaeal viruses with human and mouse complement system and viral biodistribution in mice. Molecular Immunology 90: 273–279.
- Ordóñez-Gutiérrez, L., Posado-Fernández, A., Ahmadvand, D., Lettiero, B., Wu, L. P., Antón, M., Flores, O., Moghimi, S. M. and Wandosell, F. (2016) ImmunoPEGliposome-mediated reduction of blood and brain amyloid levels in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease is restricted to aged animals. Biomaterials 112: 141–152.
- Wibroe, P. P., Petersen, S. V., Bovet, N., Laursen, B. W. and Moghimi, S. M. (2016) Soluble and immobilized graphene oxide activates the complement differently dependent on surface oxidation state. Biomaterials 78: 20–126.
- Wibroe, P., Ahmadvand, D., Oghabian, M. A., Yaghmur, A. and Moghimi, S. M.(2016) An integrated assessment of morphology, size, and complement activation of PEGylated liposomal doxorubicim products Doxil, Caelyx, DOXOrubicin, and SinaDoxosome. Journal of Controlled Release 221: 1–8.
- Azmi, I. D. M., Wibroe, P. P., Wu, L-P., Kazem, A. I., Amenitsch, H., Moghimi, S. M. and Yaghmur, A. (2016) A structurally diverse library of safe-by-design citrem-phospholipid lamellar and non-lamellar liquid crystalline nano-assemblies. Journal of Controlled Release 239: 1–9.
- Uldahl, K. B., Wu, L-P., Hall, A., Peng, X. and Moghimi, S. M. (2016) Recognition of extremophilic archaeal viruses by eukaryotic cells: a promising nanoplatform from the third domain of life. Scientific Reports 6: 37966 (doi: 10.1038/srep37966).
- Wang, G., Chen, F., Inturi, S., Banda, N. K., Holers, V. M., Wu, L-P., Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2016) Activation of human complement system by dextran-coated iron oxide nanoworms is not diminished through surface hydroxyl modifications and crosslinking. Frontiers in Immunology 7: 418.
- Inturi, S., Wang, G., Chen, F., Banda, N. K., Holers, V. M., Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2015) Modulatory role of surface coating of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoworms on complement opsonisation and leukocytes uptake. ACS Nano 9: 10758–10768.
- Wu, L-P., Ficker, M., Christensen, J. B., Trohopoulos, P. N. and Moghimi, S. M. (2015) Dendrimers in medicine: therapeutic concepts and pharmaceutical challenges. Bioconjugate Chemistry 26: 1198–1211.
- Hall, A., Wu, L-P., Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2015) Differential modulation of cellular bioenergetics by poly(L-lysine)s of different molecular weights. Biomacromolecules 16: 2119–2126.
- Hall, A., Parhamifar, L., Krarup Lange, M., Meyle, K. D., Sanderhoff, M., Roursgaard, M., Larsen, A. K., Andersen, H., Jensen, P. B., Bartek, J. and Moghimi, S. M. (2015) Polyethylenimine architecture-dependent metabolic imprints and perturbation of cellular redox homeostasis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Bioenergetics 1847: 328–342.
- Wibroe, P. P., Azmi, I. D. M., Nilsson, C., Yaghmur, A. and Moghimi, S. M. (2015) Citrem modulates internal nanostructure of glyceryl monooleate dispersions and bypasses complement activation: towards development of safe tunable intravenous nanocarriers. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 11: 1909–1914.
- Whitehead, B., Wu, L-P., Hvam, M. L., Aslan, H., Dong, M., Dyrskjøt, L., Ostenfeld, M. S., Moghimi, S. M. and Howard, K. A. (2015) Tumour exosomes display differential mechanical and complement activation properties dependent on malignant state: implications in endothelial leakiness. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 4: 29685 – http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/jev.v4.29685.
- Wu, L-P., Wang, D., Parhamifar, L., Hull, A., Chen, G-Q. and Moghimi, S. M. (2014) Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-R-3-hydroxyhexanoate) nanoparticles with polyethylenimine coat as simple, safe and versatile vehicles for cell targeting: population characteristics, cell uptake and intracellular trafficking. Advance Healthcare Materials 3: 817–824.
- Banda, N. K., Mehta, G., Chao, Y., Wang, G., Inturi, S., Fossati-Jimak, L., Botto, M., Wu, L-P., Moghimi, S. M. and Simberg, D. (2014) Mechanisms of complement activation by superparamagentic dextran iron oxide (SPIO) nanoworms in mouse versus human sera. Particle and Fibre Toxicology 11: 64, doi:10.1186/s12989-014-0064-2.
- Rahimi Jamnani, F., Shokrgozar, M. A., Ahmadvand, D., Mahboudi, F., Rahbrizadeh, F., Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2014) T cells expressing VHH-directed oligoclonal chimeric HER2 antigen receptors: towards tumour-directed oligoclonal T cell therapy. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – General Subjects 1840: 378–386.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Farhangrazi, Z. S. (2014) Just so stories: random acts of anti-cancer nanomedicine performance. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 10: 1661–1666.
- Andersen, A. J., Robinson, J. T., Dai, H., Hunter, A. C., Andresen, T. L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2013) Single-walled carbon nanotube surface control of complement recognition and activation. ACS Nano 7: 1108–1119.
- Benjaminsen, R. V., Mattebjerg, M. A., Henriksen, J. R., Moghimi, S. M. and Andresen, T. L. (2013) The possible ‘proton-sponge’ effect of polyethylenimine does not include change in lysosomal pH. Molecular Therapy 21: 147–157.
- Hall, A., Meyle, K. D., Lange, M. K., Klima, M., Sanderhoff, M., Dahl, C., Abildgaard, C., Thorup, K., Moghimi, S. M., Jensen, P. B., Bartek, J., Guldberg, P., Christensen, C. (2013) Underlying oxidative phosphorylation dysfunction makes malignant melanoma cells addicted to glycolysis driven by the V600E BRAF oncogene. Oncotarget 4: 584–599.
- Sharifzadeh, Z., Rahbarizadeh, F., Shokrgozar, M. A., Ahmadvand, D., Mahboudi, F., Rahimi Jamnani, F. and Moghimi, S. M. (2013) Genetically engineered cytotoxic T cells bearing nanoconstructed chimeric receptors harbouring TAG-72-specific camelid single domain antibodies as targeting agents. Cancer Letters 334: 237–244.
- Brambilla, D., Verpillot, R., Le Droumaguet, B., Nicolas, J., Taverna, M., Kona, J., Lettiero, B., Hashemi, S. H., De Kimpe, L., Canovi, M., Gobbi, M., Nicolas, V., Scheper, W., Moghimi, S. M., Tvaroska, I., Couvreur, P. and Andrieux, K. (2012) PEGylated nanoparticles bind to and alter amyloid-beta peptide conformation: towards engineering of functional nanomedicines for Alzheimer’s disease. ACS Nano 6: 5897–5908.
- Moghimi, S. M., Wibroe, P. P., Helvig, S., Farhangrazi, Z. S. and Hunter, A. C. (2012) Genomic perspectives in inter-individual adverse responses following nanomedicine administration: the way forward. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 64: 1385–1393.
- Moghimi, S. M., Hunter, A. C. and Andresen, T. L. (2012) Factors controlling nanoparticle pharmacokinetics: an integrated analysis and perspective. Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology 52: 481–503.
- Moghimi, S. M., Peer, D. and Langer R. (2011) Re-shaping the future of nanopharmaceuticals: ad iduicium. ACS Nano 5: 8454–8458.
- Sadeqzadeh, E., Rahbarizadeh, F., Ahmadvand, D., Rasaee, M. J., Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2011) Combined MUC1-specific nanobody-tagged PEG-polyethylenimine polyplex targeting and transcriptional targeting of tBid transgene for directed killing of MUC1 over-expressing tumour cells. Journal of Controlled Release 156: 85–91
- Hamad, I., Al-Hanbali, O., Hunter, A. C., Rutt, K. J., Andresen, T. L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2010) Distinct polymer architecture mediates switching of complement activation pathways at nanosphere-serum interface: implications for stealth nanoparticle engineering. ACS Nano 4: 6629–6638.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Hunter, A. C. (2010) Complement monitoring of carbon nanotubes. Nature Nanotechnology 5: 382–382.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Moghimi, M. (2008) Enhanced lymph node retention of subcutaneously injected IgG-PEG-liposomes through pentameric IgM antibody-mediated vesicular aggregation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Biomembranes 1778: 51–55.
- Mukhopadhyay, R., Al-Hanbali, O., Pillai, S., Hemmersam, A. G., Meyer, R. L., Hunter, A. C., Rutt, K. J., Besenbacher, F., Moghimi, S. M. and Kingshott, P. (2007) Ordering of binary polymeric nanoparticles on hydrophobic surfaces assembled from low volume fraction dispersions. Journal of the American Chemical Society 129: 13390–13391.
- Moghimi, S.M., Hamad, I., Andresen, T. L., Jørgensen, K. and Szebeni, J. (2006) Methylation of the phosphate oxygen moiety of phospholipid-methoxypoly(ethylene glycol) conjugate prevents PEGylated liposome-mediated complement activation and anaphylatoxin production. FASEB Journal 20: 2591–2593 (Full text: doi: 10.1096/fj.06-6186fje, electronic pages E2057–E2067).
- Moghimi, S. M. (2006) The effect of methoxyPEG chain length and molecular architecture on lymph node targeting of immuno-PEG-liposomes. Biomaterials 27: 136–144.
- Moghimi, S. M., Hunter, A. C. and Murray, J. C. (2005) Nanomedicine: current status and future prospects. FASEB Journal 19: 311–330
- Moghimi, S. M., Symonds, P., Murray, J. C., Hunter, A. C., Debska, G. and Szewczyk, A. (2005) A two-stage poly(ethylenimine)-mediated cytotoxicity: implications for gene-transfer/therapy. Molecular Therapy 11: 990–995.
- Moghimi, S. M., Hunter, A. C., Murray, J. C. and Szewczyk, A. (2004) Cellular distribution of nonionic micelles. Science 303: 626–627.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Szebeni, J. (2003) Stealth liposomes and nanoparticles: critical issues on protein-binding properties, activation of proteolytic blood cascades and intracellular fate. Progress in Lipid Research 42: 463–478.
- Gbadamosi, J. K., Hunter, A. C. and Moghimi, S. M. (2002) PEGylation of microspheres generates a heterogeneous population of particles with differential surface characteristics and biological performance. FEBS Letters 523: 338–344.
- Moghimi, S. M., Hunter, A. C. and Murray, J.C. (2001) Long circulating and target-specific nanoparticles: theory to practice. Pharmacological Reviews 53: 283–318.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Hunter, A. C. (2000) Poloxamers and poloxamines in nanoparticle engineering and experimental medicine. Trends in Biotechnology 18: 411–420.
- Moghimi, S. M. (1997) Prolonging the circulation time and modifying the body distribution of intravenously injected polystyrene nanospheres by prior intravenous administration of poloxamine 908. A reticuloendothelial blockade event or manipulation of nanosphere surface in vivo? Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - General Subjects 1336: 1–6.
- Moghimi, S. M. and Murray, J. C. (1996) Poloxamer-188 re-visited: a potentially valuable immune modulator? Journal of the National Cancer Institute 88: 766–768.
SELECTED REPRESENTATIVE CHAPTERS:
Moghimi, S. M. and Farhangrazi, Z. S. (2017) Theranostics. Encyclopedia of Cancer. (M. Schwab, ed.), 4th Edition, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 4505–4507. DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-46875-3.
Farhangrazi, Z. S. and Moghimi, S. M. (2016) Nanomedicine: shadow and substance. In: Handbook of Clinical Nanomedicine. Law, Business, Regulation, Safety, and Risk (R. Bawa, G. F. Audette and B. E. Reese, eds.). PanStanford Pte., Singapore. pp. 1081–1090 [Print ISBN: 978-981-4669-22-1]
Moghimi, S. M., Trippler, K. C. and Simberg, D. (2016) The art of complement: complement sensing of nanoparticles and consequences. In: Nanomedicine (T. Vorup-Jensen, K. Howard and D. Peer, eds.). CRS Book Series: Advances in Delivery Science and Technology, Springer Science+Business Media LLC, New York. pp. 43–51. [Print ISBN: 978-1-4939-3632-8]
Wibroe, P., Helvig, S. Y. and Moghimi, S. M. (2015) The role of complement in antibody therapy for infectious diseases. In: Antibodies for Infectious Diseases (J. Crowe and D. Boraschi, R. Rappuoli, eds.). ASM Press, Washington DC. pp. 63–74. [ISBN: 978-1-55581-735-0]
Moghimi, S. M. and Farhangrazi, S. (2014) Anatomical and physicochemical factors controlling nanoparticle pharmacokinetics. In: Frontiers of Nanobiomedical Research. Handbook of Nanobiomedical Research, Volume 4, Biology, Safety and Novel Concepts in Nanomedicine. (V. P. Torchilin, ed.). World Scientific, Singapore, pp. 31–44. [ISBN: 978-981-4520-64-5]
Moghimi, S. M. and Farhangrazi, S. (2014) Nanoparticle in medicine: nanoparticle engineering for macrophage targeting and nanoparticles that avoid macrophage recognition. In: Nanoparticles and the Immune System. Safety and Effects (D. Boraschi and A. Duschl, eds.). Elsevier, San Diego. pp. 77–89. [ISBN: 978-0-12-408085-0]
Lettiero, B., Farhangrazi, Z. S. and Moghimi, S. M. (2014) Nanoparticle targeting of the immune system and immune responses to nanoparticles: basic concepts. In: Handbook of Safety Assessment of Nanomaterials: from Toxicological Testing to Personalized Medicine (B. Fadeel, ed.). Pan Stanford Series on Biomedical Nanotechnology, Volume 5, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. pp. 265–277. [ISBN: 978-981-4463-36-2]
Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2014) Cytotoxicity challenges in development of personalized nanomedicines: focus on nucleic acid delivery systems. In: Handbook of Personalized Medicine: Advances in Nanotechnology, Drug Delivery and Therapy, (I. S. Vizirianakis, ed.). Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore. pp. 129–140. [Print ISBN: 9789814411196].
Parhamifar, L., Andersen, H. and Moghimi, S. M. (2014) Uptake and intracellular trafficking of nanocarriers. In: Intracellular Delivery II (A. Prokopa, Y. Iwasaki, A. Harada, eds.). Springer Science + Business Media B. V., Dordrecht. pp. 1217–138. [Print ISBN: 978-94-017-8895-3].
Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2013) Lactate dehydrogenase assay for assessment of polycation cytotoxicity. In: Nanotechnologies for Nucleic Acid Delivery, (M. Ogris, D. Oupicky, eds.). Methods in Molecular Biology, Humana Press, New York. 948: 13–22.
Larsen, A. K., Hall, A., Lundsgart, H. and Moghimi, S. M. (2013) Combined fluorimetric caspase3/7 assay and Bradford protein determination for assessment of polycation-mediated cytotoxicity. In: Nanotechnologies for Nucleic Acid Delivery, (M. Ogris, D. Oupicky, eds.). Methods in Molecular Biology, Humana Press, New York. 948: 23–33.
Moghimi, S. M. (2012) Liposomes. Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology. (B. Bhushan, ed.), Springer Netherlands, L1218–L1223. [Print ISBN: 978-90-481-9750-7], [Online ISBN 978-90-481-9751-4].
Parhamifar, L. and Moghimi, S. M. (2012) Total internal reflection microscopy for real-time imaging of nanoparticle-cell plasma membrane interaction. In: Nanoparticles in Biology and Medicine: Methods and Applications, (M. Soloviev, ed.). Methods in Molecular Biology, Humana Press, New York. 906: 473–482.
Wibroe, P. P. and Moghimi, S. M. (2012) Complement sensing of nanoparticles and nanomedicines. In: Functional Nanoparticles for Bioanalysis, Nanomedicine and Bioelectronic Devices, (M. Hepel, C. J. Zhong, eds.). ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society. Volume 2: 365–382.
Moghimi, S. M. (2010) Particle nanoengineering for the lymphatic system and lymph node targeting. In: Polymer-Based Nanostructures: Medical Applications. RCS Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Series, (P. Broz, ed.). Vol. 9, Royal Society of Chemistry, London. pp. 81–97. [ISBN: 978-0-85404-956-1]
Moghimi, S. M. (2009) The innate immune responses, adjuvants and delivery systems. In: Delivery Technologies for Biopharmaceuticals: Peptides, Proteins, Nucleic Acids and Vaccines (L. Jorgensen, H. M. Nielsen, eds.). Wiley & Sons, Chichester. pp. 113–127. [ISBN-13: 978-0-470-72338-8]
Moghimi, S. M. (2007) Optimization strategies in lymph node targeting of interstitially injected immunoglobulin G-bearing liposomes. In: Liposome Technology, 3rd Edition, Vol. III, Interaction of Liposomes with the Biological Milieu (G. Gregoriadis, ed.). Informa Healthcare USA, Inc., New York, pp. 65–77. [ISBN:-10: 0-8493-9725-1]
Moghimi, S. M., Vega, E., Garcia, M. L., Al-Hanbali, O. A. R., Rutt, K. J. and Hunter, A. C. (2006) Polymeric nanoparticles as drug carriers and controlled release implant devices. In: Nanoparticulates as Drug Carriers (V. P. Torchilin, ed.). Imperial College Press, London. pp. 29–42. [ISBN: 1-86094-630-5]
Moghimi, S. M. (2003) Exploitation of macrophage clearance functions in vivo. In: Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology: The Macrophage as Therapeutic Target (S. Gordon, ed.), Vol. 158, Springer, Berlin, pp. 41–54. [ISBN: 3-540-44250-2]
Patel, H. M. and Moghimi, S. M. (1993) Liposomes and skin permeability barrier. In: Liposomes in Drug Delivery (G. Gregoriadis, A. T. Florence, H. M. Patel, eds.). Harwood Academic Publishers GmbH, Switzerland. pp. 137–148. [ISBN: 3-7186-5265-X]
Prof. Moghimi has made groundbreaking contributions to the field of advanced drug delivery, nanoparticle engineering, and nanopharmaceutical performance and safety. The work in Prof. Moghimi’s laboratory has employed an interdisciplinary state-of-the-art approach to study disease mechanisms with the aim of identifying realistic opportunities offered by understanding pathophysiolocal processes to the design and engineering of efficient and safe nanopharmaceuticals. Professor Moghimi’s research has advanced fundamental understanding of biological barriers, and particularly the role of innate immune system in relation to nanoparticle performance and safety. Throughout, his work has led to the development of new materials and approaches for treatment of various conditions to include cancer, cardiovascular diseases, immune disorders, and disease of the central nervous system.
Prof. Moghimi has received continuous and extensive funding support from numerous bodies (securing over 25 million Euros in competitive research from National and European Commission FP-7 Programmes as principal investigator and co-investigator), and created a global network of more than 40 renowned scientists at the forefront of experimental and clinical medicine as well as bioengineering.
The latest research activities in Prof. Moghimi’s laboratory are expected to push the boundary of the nanotherapies to a personalized level. Thus, the enabling solutions from Prof. Moghimi’s laboratory is being directed for better management and more effective treatment of diseases and chronic conditions associated with the growing aging population including cancer, neurological disorders (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease), cardiovascular diseases (e.g., atherosclerosis), arthritis, and allergy. The focus is not only directed on detailed mapping of nanopharmaceutical “structure-activity” relationships at single cell and molecular levels, but also on long-term concomitant extensive computational network knowledge of genomics and epigenomics of inter-individual variations to nanoformulation performance, and adverse drug and nanomaterial responses.
- Wang G, Griffin JI, Inturi S, Brenneman B, Banda NK, Michael Holers V, Moghimi SM, Simberg D. In Vitro and In Vivo Differences in Murine Third Complement Component (C3) Opsonization and Macrophage/Leukocyte Responses to Antibody-Functionalized Iron Oxide Nanoworms. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 8, 151.
- Wibroe PP, Ahmadvand D, Oghabian MA, Yaghmur A, Moghimi SM. An integrated assessment of morphology, size, and complement activation of the PEGylated liposomal doxorubicin products Doxil®, Caelyx®, DOXOrubicin, and SinaDoxosome. Journal of Controlled Release 2016, 221, 1-8.
- Moghimi SM, Hunter AC, Peer D. Platelet mimicry: The emperor's new clothes?. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 2016, 12(1), 245-248.
- Wibroe PP, Petersen SV, Bovet N, Laursen BW, Moghimi SM. Soluble and immobilized graphene oxide activates complement system differently dependent on surface oxidation state. Biomaterials 2016, 78, 20-26.
- Hall A, Parhamifar L, Lange MK, Meyle KD, Sanderhoff M, Andersen H, Roursgaard M, Larsen AK, Jensen PB, Christensen C, Bartek J, Moghimi SM. Polyethylenimine architecture-dependent metabolic imprints and perturbation of cellular redox homeostasis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics 2015, 1847(3), 328-342.
- Ordonez-Gutierrez L, Re F, Bereczki E, Ioja E, Gregori M, Andersen AJ, Anton M, Moghimi SM, Pei J-J, Masserini M, Wandosell F. Repeated intraperitoneal injections of liposomes containing phosphatidic acid and cardiolipin reduce amyloid-β levels in APP/PS1 transgenic mice. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2015, 11(2), 421-430.
- Wibroe PP, Mat Azmi ID, Nilsson C, Yaghmur A, Moghimi SM. Citrem modulates internal nanostructure of glyceryl monooleate dispersions and bypasses complement activation: Towards development of safe tunable intravenous lipid nanocarriers. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 2015, 11(8), 1909-1914.
- Wu L-P, Ficker M, Christensen JB, Trohopoulos PN, Moghimi SM. Dendrimers in Medicine: Therapeutic Concepts and Pharmaceutical Challenges. Bioconjugate Chemistry 2015, 26(7), 1198-1211.
- Hall A, Wu L-P, Parhamifar L, Moghimi SM. Differential Modulation of Cellular Bioenergetics by Poly(L -lysine)s of Different Molecular Weights. Biomacromolecules 2015, 16(7), 2119-2126.
- Moghimi SM, Wibroe PP, Wu L, Farhangrazi ZS. Insidious pathogen-mimicking properties of nanoparticles in triggering the lectin pathway of the complement system. European Journal of Nanomedicine 2015, 7(3), 263-268.
- Moghimi SM. Meet our Editorial Board member. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology 2015, 16(10), 851-852.
- Mat Azmi ID, Wu L, Wibroe PP, Nilsson C, Ostergaard J, Sturup S, Gammelgaard B, Urtti A, Moghimi SM, Yaghmur A. Modulatory Effect of Human Plasma on the Internal Nanostructure and Size Characteristics of Liquid-Crystalline Nanocarriers. Langmuir 2015, 31(18), 5042-5049.
- Inturi S, Wang G, Chen F, Banda NK, Holers VM, Wu L, Moghimi SM, Simberg D. Modulatory Role of Surface Coating of Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoworms in Complement Opsonization and Leukocyte Uptake. ACS Nano 2015, 9(11), 10758-10768.
- Mehta P, Justo L, Walsh S, Arshad MS, Wilson CG, O'Sullivan CK, Moghimi SM, Vizirianakis IS, Avgoustakis K, Fatouros DG, Ahmad Z. New platforms for multi-functional ocular lenses: Engineering double-sided functionalized nano-coatings. Journal of Drug Targeting 2015, 23(4), 305-310.
- Moghimi SM. Cancer nanomedicine and the complement system activation paradigm: Anaphylaxis and tumour growth. Journal of Controlled Release 2014, 190, 556-562.
- Moghimi SM, Farhangrazi ZS. Just so stories: The random acts of anti-cancer nanomedicine performance. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 2014, 10(8), 1661-1666.
- Parhamifar L, Wu L, Andersen H, Moghimi SM. Live-cell fluorescent microscopy platforms for real-time monitoring of polyplex-cell interaction: Basic guidelines. Methods 2014, 68(2), 300-307.
- Banda NK, Mehta G, Chao Y, Wang G, Inturi S, Fossati-Jimack L, Botto M, Wu L, Moghimi SM, Simberg D. Mechanisms of complement activation by dextran-coated superparamagnetic iron oxide (SPIO) nanoworms in mouse versus human serum. Particle and Fibre Toxicology 2014, 11, 64.
- Wu L-P, Wang D, Parhamifar L, Hall A, Chen G-Q, Moghimi SM. Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-R-3-hydroxyhexanoate) Nanoparticles with Polyethylenimine Coat as Simple, Safe, and Versatile Vehicles for Cell Targeting: Population Characteristics, Cell Uptake, and Intracellular Trafficking. Advanced Healthcare Materials 2014, 3(6), 817-824.
- Nazemi S, Rahbek M, Parhamifar L, Moghimi SM, Babamoradi H, Mehrdana F, Klaerke DA, Knight CH. Reciprocity in the developmental regulation of aquaporins 1, 3 and 5 during pregnancy and lactation in the rat. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(9), e106809.
- Jamnani FR, Rahbarizadeh F, Shokrgozar MA, Mahboudi F, Ahmadvand D, Sharifzadeh Z, Parhamifar L, Moghimi SM. T cells expressing VHH-directed oligoclonal chimeric HER2 antigen receptors: Towards tumor-directed oligoclonal T cell therapy. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects 2014, 1840(1), 378-386.
- Boraschi D, Italiani P, Palomba R, Decuzzi P, Duschl A, Fadeel B, Moghimi SM. Nanoparticles and innate immunity: new perspectives on host defence. Seminars in Immunology 2017, Epun ahead of print.
- Moghimi SM. Nanomedicine safety in preclinical and clinical development: focus on idiosyncratic injection/infusion reactionss. Drug Discovery Today 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Griffin JI, Wang G, Smith WJ, Vu VP, Scheinman R, Stitch D, Moldovan R, Moghimi SM, Simberg D. Revealing Dynamics of Accumulation of Systemically Injected Liposomes in the Skin by Intravital Microscopy. ACS Nano 2017, 11(11), 11584-11593.