Dr Wing Man Lau
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 2082356
- Address: School of Pharmacy
Faculty of Medical Sciences
King George VI Building G67
Queen Victoria Road
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
ResearchAreas of Research Interest:
Transdermal and topical drug delivery: Delivery of drugs via the skin is advantageous because it avoids first-pass metabolism and minimises systemic side effects. However, the outer skin barrier prevents effective drug uptake. The focus of this work is on the use of sophisticated drug design and delivery systems (e.g. pro-drugs/co-drugs; biologically/mechanically triggered, site-specific drug release from polymers) to overcome the outer skin barrier.
Drug toxicity testing: Our work focuses on the impact of the drug system at the cellular level using a range of tissue culture and molecular biology techniques including immunocytochemistry, flow cytometry and Western Blot analysis. The ultimate aim is to improve drug formulation, bioavailability, safety and patient acceptability.
Wound healing: In this work, we study the cellular effects of different wound healing treatments (including hyperbaric oxygen therapy) using monolayer cell cultures and to understand the cellular mechanisms underpinning the wound healing process.
Other research interests are:
Clinical practice research: This work involves promoting the effective use of drugs in the primary and secondary care settings, by enhancing the roles of various healthcare professionals in patient education. This is done by identifying the current barriers to effective drug use and raising public awareness on avoiding adverse effects and improving dosing accuracy.
Pharmacy Education: I also have interest in the use of technology in pharmacy education, investigating the benefit of various teaching methods and their impact in enhancing teaching and learning environment.
- M.Ways TM, Lau WM, Khutoryanskiy VV. Chitosan and Its Derivatives for Application in Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery Systems. Polymers 2018, 10(3), 267.
- Ryan K, Patel N, Lau WM, Abu-Elmagd H, Stretch G, Pinney H. Pharmacists in general practice: a qualitative interview case study of stakeholders’ experiences in a West London GP Federation. BMC Health Services Research 2018. In Press.
- Kolawole OM, Lau WM, Mostafid H, Khutoryanskiy VV. Advances in intravesical drug delivery systems to treat bladder cancer. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2017, 532(1), 105-117.
- Lau WM, Ng KW. Finite and infinite dosing. In: Dragicevic, N; Maibach, HI, ed. Percutaneous Penetration Enhancers Drug Penetration Into/Through the Skin. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2017, pp.35-44.
- Lau WM, Donyai P. Knowledge, Attitude and Advice-Giving Behaviour of Community Pharmacists Regarding Topical Corticosteroids. Pharmacy 2017, 5(3), 41.
- Al-Khateb K, Ozhmukhametova EK, Mussin MN, Seilkhanov SK, Rakhypbekov TK, Lau WM, Khutoryanskiy VV. In situ gelling systems based on Pluronic F127/Pluronic F68 formulations for ocular drug delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2016, 502(1-2), 70-79.
- Filippov SK, Bogomolova A, Kaberov L, Velychkivska N, Starovoytova L, Cernochova Z, Rogers S, Lau WM, Khutoryanskiy VV, Cook MT. Internal Nanoparticle Structure of Temperature-Responsive Self-Assembled PNIPAM-b-PEG-b-PNIPAM Triblock Copolymers in Aqueous Solutions: NMR, SANS, and Light Scattering Studies. Langmuir 2016, 32(21), 5314–5323.
- Ng KW, Lau WM. Skin deep: the basics of human skin structure and drug penetration. In: Dragicevic, N; Maibach, H, ed. Percutaneous Penetration Enhancers Chemical Methods in Penetration Enhancement. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2015, pp.3-11.
- Ng KW, Lau WM, Williams AC. Synergy between chemical penetration enhancers. In: Dragicevic, N; Maibach, H, ed. Percutaneous Penetration Enhancers Chemical Methods in Penetration Enhancement. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2015, pp.373-385.
- Ng KW, Lau WM, Williams AC. Towards pain-free diagnosis of skin diseases through multiplexed microneedles: biomarker extraction and detection using a highly sensitive blotting method. Drug Delivery and Translational Research 2015, 5(4), 387–396.
- Lau WM, Donyai P. Community pharmacists' views in relation to the use of topical corticosteroids. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2014, 22(s1), 43-44.
- Lau WM, Heard CM, White AW. Design, synthesis and in vitro degradation of a novel co-drug for the treatment of psoriasis. Pharmaceutics 2013, 5(2), 232-245.
- Lau WM, Ng KW, Sakenyte K, Heard CM. Distribution of esterase activity in porcine ear skin, and the effects of freezing and heat separation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2012, 433(1-2), 10-15.
- Lau WM, Ng KW, White AW, Heard CM. Therapeutic and cytotoxic effects of the novel antipsoriasis codrug, naproxyl-dithranol, on HaCaT cells. Molecular Pharmaceutics 2011, 8(6), 2398–2407.
- Lau WM, White AW, Heard CH. Topical Delivery of a Naproxen-Dithranol Co-drug: In Vitro Skin Penetration, Permeation, and Staining. Pharmaceutical Research 2010, 27(12), 2734-2742.
- Lau WM, White AW, Gallagher SJ, Donaldson M, McNaughton G, Heard CM. Scope and limitations of the co-drug approach to topical drug delivery. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2008, 14(8), 794-802.