12 months part time
Fees per academic year 2014-15
Please contact us for details of fees.
The programme aims to provide health care professionals with an opportunity to develop personal and strategic leadership knowledge and skills, underpinned by theory to strengthen and support their current and future professional role.
The Postgraduate Certificate offers a multi professional learning experience with students from medical, nursing, midwifery, allied health professionals and clinical research management backgrounds.
The programme aims to develop your knowledge and understanding of:
• what is meant by 'clinical leadership' in the current NHS, the difference between leadership and management, a consideration of historical and more contemporary leadership theories including self leadership and perspectives of self and others
• self assessments are supported through the use of psychometric diagnostics and one to one coaching
• what is meant by an 'effective' team and how this effectiveness can be measured and evaluated. These topics are explored in the light of NHS organisational culture and current research
• an appreciation of the new commissioning process in healthcare and stakeholder engagement is explored in connection with politics, power and influencing skills. Change management and service improvement is explored using innovative and creative approaches
• leadership coaching and mentoring theories are studied and practical expience and skills are increased through interactive sessions and action learning sets. Increasing resilience and solving leadership dilemmas are considered through reflective practice/ writing and frameworks
Modules are delivered in a series of one day teaching blocks. These teaching day blocks include a mixture of lectures, tutorials, workshop style seminars, reflective learning and action learning approaches.
Find out more detailed information about the programme modules.
Applicants should have successfully completed the final year of the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery or Bachelor of Dental Surgery or equivalent and:
- have a minimum of one year post-qualification experience; or
- have an appropriate degree or equivalent professional qualification in a profession allied to medicine, nursing, midwifery or allied health and a minimum of five years post-qualification experience; or
- a minimum of a relevant lower-second-class Honours degree
In addition you must work or have worked in a relevant role in a healthcare setting.
Applicants whose first language is not English require IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in all sub sections), TOEFL 100 (Internet-based), Pearson's PTE Academic Test 69 or equivalent.
More information on scholarships, studentships, bursaries and other funding is available from our database.
For further information please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5199
I did some research in Cyprus on different universities and took opinions from people with knowledge about UK education who recommend this university as it had the course I most wanted to study. I am confident I have made the right choice.