Our new Global Human Resource Management MSc will help you become a highly marketable graduate who can make an immediate contribution to any multinational organisation. It provides graduates from any background with the skills to pursue an international management career.
You will explore the challenges presented by a complex global economy and develop your skills as a human resource professional, who can respond to the changing nature of a diverse global workforce.
Throughout the course we will encourage you to apply your knowledge and skills to practical problems and situations. Our aim is to encourage intellectual rigour with a strong orientation to practice.
The course aims to provide you with an understanding of:
- the management of people in a global economy
- contemporary approaches to human resource management development and its impact on business performance
- enhancing employee performance, well-being and organisational effectiveness
- the impact of changes in the global socio-economic climate on the management of human resources
- the nature and importance of the ethical issues in human resource management
You are encouraged to develop the critical self-analysis and personal skills that underpin future career development and support the process of lifelong learning. The emphasis on skill development also helps you to meet the professional development requirements of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
On completion of the course you will be able to:
- implement effective processes for the recruitment, selection, retention and development of employees in a global context
- provide advice about how to motivate and reward people to maximise organisational performance
- solve human management problems within the context of the international business environment
- demonstrate ethical sensibility towards the practice of global HRM
Practitioner and research led teaching
View profiles of the academic staff who teach on this course:
- Miss Lisa Clark
- Professor Steve Vincent
- Dr Tracy Scurry
- Dr David Lain
- Ms Juli Camper
- Dr Harsh Jha
- Dr Stewart Johnstone
- Dr Stefanie Reissner
- Dr Ana Lopes
- Dr Sue Abbott
- Dr Clare Butler
- Professor Alan McKinlay
- Dr Elizabeth Alexander
- Dr Allanah Johnston
- Dr Jingqi Zhu
- Dr Sawlat Zaman
The course is modular, comprising:
- 180 credits of compulsory and optional modules
- full time over 12 months
The course is fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). Successful completion leads to graduate membership of this prestigious institute. Membership provides you with access to leading resources, training support and networks to advance your professional practice in human resource management.
The Global Human Resource Management MSc also aligns with the standards of the American based Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world's largest association devoted to human resource management.
Newcastle University Business School is accredited by the:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS)
- Association of MBAs (AMBA)
Only 1% of business schools worldwide hold triple accreditation. Our Business School is part of this elite group and this accolade is a huge endorsement. It reflects the investments we make for our students through providing:
- a high quality teaching environment
- innovative programming
- active engagement with industry
Newcastle University Business School is one of the largest Schools in the University. We have over 3,500 students representing over 93 nationalities. Our location and modern design creates a dynamic centre point for a valuable network of:
- regional, national and international thought leaders
- leading professions
Our facilities provide:
- a flexible and dedicated conference suite with panoramic views across the city
- Wi-Fi enabled connectivity throughout the building, including three computer clusters housing approximately 120 PCs
- four large lecture theatres and 21 seminar rooms, providing comfortable teaching and group study space
- a dedicated Hub and Base providing a balanced mix of study space and relaxation areas
- a contemporary café
View some of the Business School facilities.
Contact UsContact Us
In the news
Watch our student videos for a unique insight into student life at Newcastle.
published on: 30 August 2017
Student blogger Qianyi's guide to postgraduate study.
published on: 30 August 2017
Student blogger Surangnut gives you a seven month update on her postgraduate experience.
published on: 30 August 2017
Modules for 2017 entry
Compulsory modulesCompulsory modules
Optional modulesOptional modules
You will take a further 30 credits from the following:
- NBS8383 Diversity Management
- NBS8384 Entrepreneurship and Human Resource Management
- NBS8385 Human Resource Management and Society
- NBS8386 Skills, Training and Human Resource Development
- NBS8387 Comparative Employment Systems
- NBS8060 International Business Strategy
- NBS8265 Managing Change in Organisations
- NBS8142 Current Issues in International Business Management
Modules change annually to take account of:
- changing staff expertise
- developments in the discipline
- the requirements of external bodies and partners
- student feedback.
Most module information for 2018 entry will be available from mid-May 2018.
Curious about what our graduates have gone on to do? Find out about opportunities they’ve pursued, and how we can help you develop your career.
Graduates from this course can pursue careers in:
- human resource management
- personnel management
- management development
- organisation development
- human resource management consulting
Our award-winning Careers Service will help you to explore your options and make informed choices to achieve your career goals.
Work experience placements are a great way to develop relevant skills to excel in your chosen career.
Find out about paid and unpaid work experience options and other ways you can add to your degree.
Fees & Funding
The fees displayed here are per course.
Full time: £7,200
Full time: £7,200
Full time: £18,000
Find out more about our tuition fees, including how to pay them and available discounts.
EU students starting at Newcastle in 2018 will pay the UK (Home) tuition fee for the full duration of their course.
A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in any subject.
If you do not have a degree we will take your work experience into consideration. You need to have at least two years' of continuous work experience in a relevant field. You will also need to attend an interview (telephone or Skype) and provide a written submission.
Find out the equivalent qualifications for your country.
Use the drop down above to find your country. If your country isn't listed please email: email@example.com for further information.
English Language Requirements
Select an English language test from the list to view our English language entry requirements.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Pre-sessional English Course RequirementsPre-sessional English Course Requirements
- 6 week Pre-sessional entry: IELTS 6.0 overall (with 6.0 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in all other sub-skills)
- 10 week Pre-sessional entry: IELTS 6.0 overall (with 1 sub-skill at a minimum of 5.0 and 3 sub-skills at a minimum of 5.5, including writing)
You can study our Pre-sessional English course at the INTO Newcastle Centre.
How to Apply
You apply online, track your application and contact the admissions team via our applicant portal. Our step-by-step guide can help you on your way.
The course starts in September. There is no application closing date for this course.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
If you live outside the UK/EU you must:
- pay a deposit of £1,500
- or submit an official letter of sponsorship
The deposit is payable after you receive an offer to study at Newcastle University. The deposit is non-refundable, but is deducted from your tuition fees when you register.