Worldwide growth in the financial services sector during the last two decades, coupled with the current global economic crisis has fuelled the demand for students with specialist skills and competencies in this highly complex and changing sector.
Our degree programmes have been designed within this contemporary agenda and build on the School’s strengths derived from rigorous research in economics, accounting and finance, while being responsive to the emerging trends and issues faced by today’s industry practitioners.
There are close links between our taught programmes and our research expertise and this ensures that your studies are informed by the very latest professional and academic developments.
You will be based in Newcastle University Business School, which offers excellent postgraduate facilities within a new, state-of-the-art building located in the city centre.
Programmes such as the MSc in Finance and Financial Regulation and MSc in Finance and Law with Islamic Finance are taught jointly with colleagues from Newcastle Law School. This leading research-based Law School is the longest established law school in the North East of England.
Alongside developing your specialist subject knowledge and expertise, studying a taught postgraduate programme at Newcastle will also enable you to develop transferable skills relevant to the global job market.
Our research strengths are focused in accounting, economics, finance, regulation, and control, and MPhil and PhD study is normally available in these areas.
Research students are supported in their studies through a structured programme of supervision and training via our faculty specific Research Training Programmes which have been endorsed by the UK research councils and adhere to their framework of excellence.
• Our programmes have been designed primarily for graduates who want to enter the finance, accounting and public sectors.
• Several of the Business School's career-focused taught programmes are recognised by some of the leading professional bodies, including the ACCA, AIA, CIMA and ICAEW.
• Cutting-edge, topical events programme delivered by the School provide opportunities to network with national and multinational organisations, alumni, and peers.
• Career and business incubation services available through the University’s Careers Service.
• Dedicated Careers Adviser to provide additional support