20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
Provided by: Newcastle University
Newcastle University is offering a 20% reduction in postgraduate tuition fees for all alumni who are self-funding for their postgraduate study and meet the eligibility criteria given below.
The University also offers a similar discount scheme for Newcastle alumni who are pursuing an undergraduate degree. Further information can be found on our undergraduate pages.
1. Be applying for/intending to study for a degree-awarding postgraduate programme at Newcastle University. The majority of programmes of study qualify for the award, but please check the exception list below.
2. Be a graduate of Newcastle University. That is, you must have qualified (or be due to qualify) on a full undergraduate or postgraduate degree (eg a BA, BSc, BEng, LLB, MA, MSc, MPhil, PhD, MLitt, MEd, MEng, MChem, MMath).
3. Be wholly self-financing for the tuition fee element of your programme.
What does wholly self-financing mean?
- You are wholly self-financing if you are paying all of your tuition fees yourself.
- You are still deemed to be self-financing if:
- you have support from a friend or relative and/or:
- are in receipt of Newcastle University funding towards your studies. This funding includes scholarships, tuition fee discounts, bursaries or any other contribution towards your study costs. Students in receipt of such funding support will receive the discount on the balance of the tuition fee not covered by the funding support.
4. Meet other regulations pertaining to the Alumni Fee Discount
a. The 20% alumni discount is available to students who commence a new programme of study at the University. Candidates must become newly registered at Newcastle University in the 2012-13 academic year or later, for any qualifying postgraduate degree programme.
b. Awards cannot be made retrospectively and must be awarded during the admission process or the first year of study.
c. If the discount scheme changes part way through your degree (eg a new percentage discount is introduced), you will remain on the discount scheme applied at the start of your degree.
d. The alumni discount is valid only when candidates register for studies during the academic year specified in their offer letter.
e. The 20% alumni discount will apply for all full years of study (pro rata for part-year programmes).
f. The 20% alumni discount applies only to the net fee that a student would otherwise pay – that is, after any other scholarships or award from the University have been deducted. To illustrate this:
Alumnus A is to study a programme where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus A is successful in winning a University scholarship of £1,300. They are also given an additional tuition fee discount of £500. The net fee is therefore £8,200. The 20% discount is then applied. (20% of £8,200 = £1,640). Alumnus A is required to pay £8,200 - £1,640 = £6,560.
Alumnus B is to study a programme where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus B is given a University bursary of £1,500. The net fee is therefore £8,500. The 20% discount is then applied (20% of £8,500 = £1,700). Alumnus B is required to pay £8,500 - £1,700 = £6,800. Alumnus B chooses to pay their annual fees early, and therefore qualifies for a further 2% early payment discount. The 2% discount is then applied. (2% of £6,800 = £136). Alumnus B is required to pay £8,500 - £1,700 - £136 = £6,664.
Alumnus C is to study a programme where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus C is given a tuition fee discount of £800. The net fee is therefore £9,200. The 20% discount is then applied. (20% of £9,200 = £1,840). Alumnus C is required to pay £9,200 - £1,840 = £7,360.
g. The 20% discount on tuition fees is not transferable. The University does not permit the 20% fee discount to be used for any other purpose.
h. It is the duty of the student to advise the University (on the Postgraduate Application Form) if s/he has applied for or has been obtained funding for his/her tuition fees. It is the duty of the student to inform the Postgraduate Admissions Service if s/he has obtained funding for his/her tuition fees after the Postgraduate Application Form has been submitted to the University. If a student is found to be in breach of this regulation, the University is entitled to immediately suspend any further discount and may seek to recover any or all amounts of previous payments made.
i. The University reserves the right to vary or withdraw the alumni discount at its sole discretion.
How to qualify for this award
You do not need to complete a separate application form for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount. Instead, you must provide the following information on the University's Postgraduate Application Form. You must:
a. Detail your current/previous study at the University.
b. Attach a copy of your previous qualification from the University if you have it available.
c. Provide a statement on the form about how you propose to fund your study (see also condition 4h above).
d. You should also try and ensure that your postgraduate application is handled using your previous student number (you are asked to provide this number when your apply).
If you feel that you are eligible for the alumni discount but this has not been included on your offer letter, please contact the Postgraduate Admissions Service:
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 5503
If you have been denied an alumni discount but consider that you have good grounds for your case to be reconsidered, you should submit a written case in the first instance to the Postgraduate Admissions Manager.
Programmes which are not eligible for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
a. The discount is not offered on any programme of study that does not lead to a degree. This includes pre-sessional programmes in English Language, English Language Foundation Programmes, occasional study programmes, exchange programmes, any certificate / diploma programme or any continuing professional development programme.
b. The discount does not apply to:
- A PGDip or PGCert
- PGCE programmes.
- Programmes that are part of professional training programmes for dentists or doctors.
- Staff candidates.
Previous study at Newcastle University that does not meet the requirements of the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
a. Previous study on programmes that do not carry formal degree status means that you are not eligible for the alumni discount. This includes previous study on pre-sessional programmes in English Language, English Language Foundation Programmes, occasional study programmes, exchange programmes, study abroad programmes, any certificate / diploma programme or any continuing professional development programme.
b. Also, if you transfer from one programme to another as part of normal progression arrangements, you are not eligible for the alumni discount on the second or subsequent programme. For example:
- A student who transfers from BA History to BA Geography without completing the BA History programme is not eligible for a discount on the BA Geography programme.
- A student who commences on an MPhil and is then transferred to a PhD is not eligible for a discount for the PhD, as this is regarded as one research programme.
- A student who progresses from the BA in Architectural Studies to the Certificate in Architectural Practice and / or to the MArch is not eligible for the discount on the second/third programmes as these are part of the normal progression arrangements for architectural studies.
- A student who progresses from the BA in Town Planning to the Diploma in Town Planning is not eligible for the discount as this is part of the normal progression arrangements for town planning studies.
Types of funding that disqualify you from the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
a. If you have a full or partial scholarship for tuition fees from an external source, such as a Chevening Scholarship, a Commonwealth award, DFID Shared Scholarship, British Marshall or Fulbright Scholarship or Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award, the discount does not apply.
b. If you have sponsorship from the following organisations, or similar organisations, then the discount does not apply:
- An organisation such as a UK Research Council (AHRC, NERC, BBSRC, ESRC, EPSRC etc).
- A recognised sponsor of postgraduate study such as the Wellcome Trust.
- Any government body eg an embassy.
- Your employer or another company.
c. If you are eligible for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount, you cannot also apply for the International Family Discount.