Value of award
100% of UK/EU tuition fees paid and annual living expenses of £14,533. Successful international candidates will be required to make up the difference between the UK/EU fees and international fees.
Number of awards
Start date and duration
September 2017 for 3 years.
Application closing date
9 June 2017.
This 3 year PhD studentship is jointly funded by Newcastle University and Newcastle Falcons Rugby Club.
The research will investigate the long-term management of player loads and recovery strategies with a focus on nutrition, player well-being and injury prevention. It is envisaged that the successful candidate will spend a significant amount of time within the rugby club environment working with the Sport and Exercise Science support team and senior squad players.
The successful candidate should have a Masters degree in an appropriate discipline relating to the topic and ideally should have some experience of working in an applied sport and exercise science setting.
Newcastle University, Newcastle Rugby Limited.
Name of supervisor(s)
Professor Emma Stevenson and Dr Daniel West.
You must have, or expect to achieve, a 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in a subject relating to exercise science and a further qualification such as an MSc or MRes in a relevant topic area.
The award is available to UK/EU and international applicants. If English is not your first language, you must have IELTS 7.0 overall, with at least 6.5 in the written component, or equivalent.
How to apply
You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application system. To do this please ‘Create a new account’.
Only mandatory fields need to be completed. However, you will need to include the following information:
- insert the programme code 8300F in the Programme of Study section
- select ‘PhD in the Faculty of Medical Sciences (full time) – Sport and Exercise Science’ as the programme of study
- insert the studentship code CL098 in the studentship/partnership reference field
- attach a covering letter and CV. The covering letter must state the title of the studentship, quote the studentship reference code CL098 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
- attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications.
Emma Stevenson, Professor of Sport and Exercise Science, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University
Email: Emma.firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: +44 (0) 191 2087865