Value of award
Number of awards
Start date and duration
September 2017 for 1 year.
Application closing date
Friday, 25 August at 5.00pm.
The Elsie Jeffery Memorial Bursary is available for Newcastle University postgraduate students accepted on the MSc in Public Health and Health Services Research. The award is £1,000 for one master’s degree student per academic year.
This bursary has been provided by Newcastle alumnus, Mr. Jack Jeffery CBE in memory of his mother, Mrs Elsie Jeffery. Mrs Jeffery was a pupil at Tanfield School at Stanley, County Durham during the First World War, but family circumstances meant that she had to leave at the age of fourteen to start work. Passionate about the importance of education, even in her nineties Mrs Jeffery was still sad that she had to leave school early. Mr. Jeffery hopes that this bursary will do something to encourage prospective students to take up the challenge of postgraduate education and keep alive the memory of his mother.
In order to be eligible for this Bursary you must:
- have accepted an offer of a full-time place at Newcastle University, starting in September 2017;
- be prepared to demonstrate that, without this bursary the cost of studying at university might discourage you from continuing your academic career;
- preference will be given to those who are from the NE Region.
Successful recipients will be expected to meet with the donor and may be asked to provide comments and/or photographs for future publicity.
Recipients are required to give an annual update on their progress and be available to meet the donors if requested.
How to apply
Please note that you should not complete an application form until after you have accepted an offer of a place at Newcastle, either confirmed or insurance.
- Applications must be returned by Friday, 25 August at 5.00pm.
- Bursaries will be awarded primarily on the basis of financial need.
Please submit an application via the online application form: Elsie Jeffery Bursary 2017-18.
Queries should be directed to: Zainab Djavanroodi, Tel: 0191 208 8745.