Value of award
£2,000 scholarships, awarded as a tuition fee discount.
Number of awards
Up to 18 scholarships
Start date and duration
Full-time students: September 2017 for one year.
Part-time students: September 2017 for two years. Part-time awards will be made on a pro rata basis.
Application closing date
5pm on Friday 9 June 2017
Up to 18 scholarships of £2,000 are available to high achieving recent Newcastle University graduates from the UK or EU who are commencing a postgraduate taught or Master of Literature (MLitt) degree in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in 2017.
Newcastle University, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
You will be eligible to be considered for a Humanities and Social Science Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship if you:
- Graduate, or graduated with at least 65% in an undergraduate degree in any discipline from Newcastle University in 2015, 2016 or 2017.
- Have been offered a place to study a full or part-time postgraduate taught or Master of Literature (MLitt) degree in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences commencing in September 2017.
- Are considered to be a UK or EU student for tuition fee purposes.
- Have not previously studied at postgraduate level.
Admission to a postgraduate degree is at the discretion of the Degree Programme Director.
The following courses are not eligible:
- Advanced International Business Management (Dual Award) MA, MSc
- Advanced International Business Management and Marketing MSc
- Clinical Linguistics and Evidence Based Practice (Research), MSc
- Master of Architecture (MArch)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Operations Management (Dual Award) MSc/MSc
- Postgraduate Diplomas (PgDip)
- Postgraduate Certificates (PgCert)
- Postgraduate Certificates in Education (PGCE)
Courses not undertaken at Newcastle University's city centre campus are excluded from the Scheme.
Conditions of the Award
- Scholarship recipients must register with Newcastle University for the 2017/18 academic year.
- Recipients may also be eligible for the University’s 20% alumni discount on tuition fees. The Alumni Tuition Fee Discount will be applied to the remainder of the tuition fee after the Excellence Scholarship has been deducted.
- Successful applicants may combine their Humanities and Social Science Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship with other sources of University funding, excluding Business Excellence Scholarships and Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarships.
- Should a scholarship recipient not complete the full programme on which they have registered, the scholarship will be applied to the relevant tuition fee on a pro-rata basis.
How to apply
To apply for a Humanities and Social Science Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship, please complete the online application form.
Scholarships will be awarded based on academic excellence and candidate’s supporting statement. Successful candidates will be notified in early July.
If you are a current Newcastle University undergraduate student graduating in 2017, you do not need to wait for your degree classification to apply for the scholarship.
If you have any queries about the Humanities and Social Science Postgraduate Excellence Scholarships or your eligibility to be considered for an award, please contact us at: Hass.ExcellenceScholarships@ncl.ac.uk