Newcastle is the cosmopolitan capital of the North East. Famous for its welcoming character, with the University at the heart of the city, it's a great place to be a postgraduate.
The city is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside and coastline in the UK.
Take a virtual tour of Newcastle
Newcastle is great for shopping with around 600 shops in the city centre.
Local shopping venues include:
- Eldon Square Shopping Centre, the UK’s largest city-centre shopping centre, just a five-minute walk from campus
- Northumberland Street
- the traditional Victorian Grainger Market
- the MetroCentre, Europe's biggest indoor shopping and leisure complex, with 330 shops and over 50 places to eat is a seven-minute train journey or 10-minute bus ride from Newcastle Central Station.
The Quayside is a cultural hub bringing together the best of Newcastle and Gateshead. The Sage Gateshead music centre and the BALTIC art gallery share the river with many bars, cafes and restaurants. You can also visit over 200 stalls at the Quayside Sunday Market.
When you’re ready for a break from studying, Newcastle has lots to offer:
- mainstream, art-house and foreign language films
- a lively comedy circuit, venues include the Hyena Comedy Club, The Stand and Newcastle City Hall which host established comedy acts like Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre and Ross Noble
- contemporary art at BALTIC and the traditional but eclectic Laing Art Gallery
- the Great North Museum, the Discovery Museum and the Centre for Life
- rock, jazz, hip hop, R&B, salsa, cabaret, classical or folk can all be found at Newcastle venues
- a huge range of bars, clubs, restaurants and cafes
- fine theatre spaces offer drama, musicals and dance with The Royal Shakespeare Company and Opera North staging annual seasons
St James' Park, home to Newcastle United Football Club, is just a short walk from the University. The city is also home to Newcastle Falcons rugby club and has first-class basketball and ice hockey teams. Newcastle also hosts the world’s biggest half marathon, the Great North Run.
Find out more