Foulkes Foundation medal awarded to Newcastle scientist
Awarded every two years to a biomedical scientist who has shown outstanding achievement in research during the first fifteen years of their career, the Foulkes Foundation medal has been presented to Professor Patrick Chinnery.
Recently appointed Director of the Institute of Genetic Medicine, Professor Chinnery has been a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences since 2009 and a Wellcome Trust Senior Fellow since 2003.
Reading the citation, Lord Walton of Detchant paid tribute to Professor Chinnery as a most fitting winner of the Foulkes Foundation medal: “Already at the forefront of his field, he has demonstrated outstanding achievements in a research career still in its infancy. He is a true inspiration to others contemplating and pursuing a career in biomedical research.”
Prof Chinnery is pictured receiving the medal at the Annual General Meeting of the Academy of Medical Sciences.
published on: 8th December 2011
- Newcastle University is a Russell Group University
- Ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2014)
- Ranked in the top 20 of UK universities in The Sunday Times 2013 University Guide and in the 2015 Complete University Guide
- Amongst our peers Newcastle is:
- Joint 6th in the UK for student satisfaction
- Ranked 8th in the UK for Medical research power
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) top 20 strategic partner
- 93.7% of our students are in a job or further training within six months of graduating
- We have a world-class reputation for research excellence and are spearheading three major societal challenges that have a significant impact on global society. These themes are: Ageing, Sustainability, and Social Renewal
- Newcastle University is the first UK university to establish a fully owned international branch campus for medicine at its NUMed Campus in Malaysia which opened in 2011
- Our international students put Newcastle University in the world's top 50 (ISB 2013) of global universities.
- Newcastle University Business School is one of 20 Triple Accredited Business Schools in the UK