Newcastle students rank University among the best
Newcastle is a great place to study say students.
The latest results from the annual National Student Survey (NSS), which gathers the views of undergraduates has shown that 89% of students are happy with their overall experience at Newcastle.
Unchanged from last year, this shows the University is maintaining its high standards according to around 3,000 students who completed the survey.
Standards of teaching were rated very highly by students, with at least 9 out of 10 saying staff were good at explaining things and that teachers were enthusiastic about their teaching.
Among the areas of improvement for Newcastle this year is the library, which has a satisfaction rate of 90%, up five percent on last year. The Robinson Library has recently undergone significant refurbishment, with updated and increased study and IT spaces.
Access to IT and other resources have also been improved on last year, going up by four and five percent respectively in the survey. Away from studying, the Students’ Union has proved popular with students after its £8m refurbishment programme, which was finished last year. It achieved a 76% approval rating in the survey, putting it in the top 10% in the country.
Professor Suzanne Cholerton, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Learning and Teaching at Newcastle University said: “It’s good to see that our students continue to rate both their academic and Students’ Union experiences so highly.
“This result, combined with the International Student Survey and the Taught Postgraduate Survey released earlier this year shows that we are delivering a great experience for all our students.”
Results can be seen on the Unistats website.
published on: 27th September 2012
- Newcastle University is a Russell Group University
- Ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2014)
- Ranked 16th in the UK for global research power (REF 2014)
- Ranked 10th overall in the UK and 3rd for quality of staff/lecturers in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2015
- Amongst our peers Newcastle is:
- Joint 6th in the UK for student satisfaction
- Ranked 1st in the UK for Computing Science research impact, 3rd in the UK for Civil Engineering research power and 11th in the UK for Mathematical Sciences research (REF 2014)
- Ranked 8th in the UK for Medical and Life Sciences research quality (REF 2014)
- Ranked 3rd in the UK for English, and in the top 12 for Geography, Architecture and Planning, and Cultural and Media Studies research quality (REF 2014)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) top 20 strategic partner
- 93.7% of our students are in a job or further training within six months of graduating
- We have a world-class reputation for research excellence and are spearheading three major societal challenges that have a significant impact on global society. These themes are: Ageing, Sustainability, and Social Renewal
- Newcastle University is the first UK university to establish a fully owned international branch campus for medicine at its NUMed Campus in Malaysia which opened in 2011
- Our international students put Newcastle University in the world's top 50 (ISB 2013) of global universities.
- Newcastle University Business School is one of 20 Triple Accredited Business Schools in the UK