Dr Gary Robinson
Lecturer in Sports & Clinical Psychology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6176
I am a Lecturer in Sport and Clinical Psychology, as well as a Clinical Psychologist (HCPC Registered), a Sport and Exercise Psychologist (HCPC Registered), a Chartered Psychologist, an Associate Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy, and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
I successfully completed the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych), Newcastle University in 2004 and began a 10-year career working in adult mental health services within a local NHS mental health trust, specialising in group psychoanalytic psychotherapy. During this period I was also involved in providing sport psychology support to athletes and coaches from a wide range of sports.
In 2009 I joined the Newcastle University DClinPsych team as an Academic Tutor on a 2-day per week secondment from the NHS. This secondment increased to 3-days per week and included working as a Clinical Tutor, as well as Senior Academic Tutor. In 2014 I left the NHS to join the School of Psychology as a full time lecturer, where I continued working on the DClinPsyc team, and I also became involved in the development and delivery of a new undergraduate sport and exercise sciences degree.
Membership of Professional Bodies
I am a member of the following professional bodies:
- The UK Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC);
- The British Psychological Society (BPS);
- The UK Higher Education Academy (HEA);
My research draws upon, and contributes to, theoretical and empirical research in the broad areas of clinical and sport psychology and, in particular, the sub-field of performance anxiety. This includes using cognitive behavioural models of clinical anxiety disorders to provide a framework to investigate the cognitive process involved in the development and maintenance of performance anxiety, in a range of achievement domains.
- Module Designer and Contributor, Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology (ESC1002);
- Module Designer and Contributor, Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology (SES2002);
- Module Designer and Leader, Clinical Psychology (PSY2017);
- Module Designer and Leader, Clinical Sport and Exercise Psychology (PSY3039).
- Module Designer and Leader, Physical Activity and Health (PSY8039).
- Robinson G, Freeston M. Intolerance of uncertainty as a predictor of performance anxiety and robustness of sport confidence in university student-athletes. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology 2015, 9(4), 335-344.
- McConachie H, Robinson G. What services do young children with autism spectrum disorder receive?. Child: Care, Health and Development 2006, 32(5), 553-557.
- Cromarty P, Robinson G, Callcott P, Freeston M. Cognitive therapy and exercise for panic and agoraphobia in primary care: Pilot study and service development. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 2004, 32(3), 371-374.
- Bishop G, Robinson G. Anger, harassment, and cardiovascular reactivity among Chinese and Indian men in Singapore. Psychosomatic Medicine 2000, 62, 648-692.
- Bishop G, Robinson G. Cross-cultural differences in the relationship of anger to cardiovascular reactivity: Data from Singaore. International Journal of Behavioural Medicine 2000, 7 (Supplement 1), 4-5.