Dr Jacqueline Rodgers
Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 0676
- Address: Senior Lecturer
Institute of Neuroscience
Sir James Spence Institute
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Queen Victoria Road
I am a senior lecturer in clinical psychology in the Institute of Neuroscience. My main role at the University involves leading and contributing to research in neurodevelopmental disability, particularly research with children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). My teaching and administrative duties largely relate to the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. I also contribute teaching to the undergraduate and masters level psychology programmes.
I am involved in a range of research projects. Along with Dr Debbie Riby I am co-chair of the North East Autism Research Group.
I supervise research staff and post-graduate students (PhD students and doctorate in clinical psychology students) and have supervised over 50 doctoral projects.
I contributor to the ‘Ask the Experts’ panel for AUKids magazine http://www.aukids.co.uk/
I am Chair of 1 Voice North East (parent led charity for children with communication difficulties and their families).
I am an Associate Editor for the Journal of Applied research in Intellectual Disabilities (JARID).
The primary questions I am interested in relate to the aetiology, phenomenology, assessment and treatment of individuals living with ASD. Understanding these important aspects of ASD is an essential part of providing appropriate support for individuals and their families and critical for the design of appropriate assessment and intervention programmes.
An aspect of my work focuses on anxiety. Anxiety is a significant problem for many individuals with a diagnosis of ASD. The notion that anxiety is an important issue in ASD is not a new idea. What is new, however, is the notion that, as academics and clinicians, we can and should try to do something about it. The therapeutic community has made advances in the development of interventions to tackle anxiety in ASD. However, these intervention programmes, driven by the increasing awareness of the mental health needs of this population, are somewhat in advance of a clear understanding of the nature of anxiety in developmental disability. I am keen therefore to continue to pursue a programme of research that enables further understanding of the interplay between the neurobiological, cognitive and clinical phenomenology associated with ASD. There remains much work to be done, for example, to specify theoretical models of anxiety in ASD, to enable the development of more targeted and effective intervention programmes. A programme of work that encompasses this clinical-academic shuttle is critical to enable progress in this domain.
I also have an enduring interest in sensory processing atypicalities and restricted and repetitive behaviours associated with ASD and other developmental disabilities. Here cross syndrome work is essential to developing an understanding of the specificity of underlying neurobiology across disorders and well as the heterogeneity within.
Finally I am also interested in measurement issues in relation to neurodevelopmental disorders and much of my work has focused on the development, adaptation or validation of measures for use in ASD
I teach on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and contribute to research methods teaching. I also teach on Disorders of Development (BSC and MSc) and supervise undergraduate and masters level research projects.
- Ayres M, Parr JR, Rodgers J, Mason D, Avery L, Flynn D. A systematic review of quality of life of adults on the autism spectrum. Autism 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Wigham S, Barton S, Parr JR, Rodgers J. A systematic review of the rates of depression in children and adults with high functioning autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2017, 10(4), 267-287.
- Rodgers J, VanHecke A, South M. Anxiety research in ASD: current progress and ongoing challenges Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017 (in press. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017. In Press.
- Joyce C, Honey E, Leekam SR, Barrett SL, Rodgers J. Anxiety, Intolerance of Uncertainty and Restricted and Repetitive Behaviour: Insights Directly from Young People with ASD. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Herrema R, Garland D, Osborne M, Freeston M, Honey E, Rodgers J. Brief Report: What Happens When I Can No Longer Support My Autistic Relative? Worries About the Future for Family Members of Autistic Adults. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Glod M, Cresswell C, Waite P, Jamieson R, McConachie HR, Don South M, Rodgers J. Comparisons of the Factor Structure and Measurement Invariance of the Spence Children's Anxiety Scale - Parent Version in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Typically Developing Anxious Children. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Herrema R, Garland D, Osborne M, Freeston M, Honey E, Rodgers J. Mental wellbeing of family members of autistic adults. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017, Special issue Parenting a child with ASD. In Press.
- South M, Rodgers J. Sensory, Emotional and Cognitive Contributions to Anxiety in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2017, 11, 20.
- Magiati I, Lerh JW, Uljarevic M, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Ozsivadjian A, South M, Van Hecke A, Hardan A, Libove R, Leekam S, Simonoff E. The measurement properties of the Spence Children’s Anxiety Scale- Parent version in a large international pooled sample of young people with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism Research 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Cassidy S, Rodgers J. Understanding and prevention of suicide in autism. The Lancet Psychiatry 2017, 4(6), e11.
- Watts J, Rodgers J, Riby DM. A systematic review of the evidence for hyporesponsivity in ASD. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities 2016, 3(4), 286-301.
- Rodgers J, Wigham S, McConachie H, Freeston M, Honey E, Parr JR. Development of the Anxiety Scale for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASC-ASD). Autism Research 2016, 9(11), 1205–1215.
- Hodgson A, Freeston M, Honey E, Rodgers J. Facing the Unknown: Intolerance of Uncertainty in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- Maisel ME, Stephenson KG, South M, Rodgers J, Freeston MH, Gaigg SB. Modeling the Cognitive Mechanisms Linking Autism Symptoms and Anxiety in Adults. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 2016, 125(5), 692-703.
- Lough E, Rodgers J, Janes E, Little K, Riby DM. Parent insights into atypicalities of social approach behaviour in Williams syndrome. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 2016, 60(11), 1097-1108.
- Glod M, Riby DM, Honey E, Rodgers J. Sensory atypicalities in dyads of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and their parents. Autism Research 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Rodgers J, Hodgson A, Shields K, Wright C, Honey E, Freeston M. Towards a treatment for intolerance of uncertainty in young people with autism spectrum disorder: Development of the Coping with Uncertainty in Everyday situations (CUES©) programme. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Williams S, Dagnan D, Rodgers J, Freeston M. Exploring carers' judgements of responsibility and control in response to the challenging behaviour of people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2015, 28(6), 589-593.
- Grahame V, Brett D, Dixon L, McConachie H, Lowry J, Rodgers J, Steen N, Le Couteur AS. Managing Repetitive Behaviours in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Pilot Randomised Controlled Trial of a New Parent Group Intervention. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2015, 45(10), 3168-3182.
- Glod M, Riby D, Honey E, Rodgers J. Psychological Correlates of Sensory Processing Patterns in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Review. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities 2015, 2(2), 199-221.
- Hanratty J, Livingston N, Robalino S, Terwee CB, Glod M, Oono IP, Rodgers J, MacDonald G, McConachie H. Systematic review of the measurement properties of tools used to measure behaviour problems in young children with autism. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(12), e0144649.
- McConachie HM, Parr J, Glod M, Hanratty J, Livingstone N, Oono IP, Robalino S, Baird GB, Beresford T, Charman T, Garland D, Green J, Gringras P, Jones G, Law J, Le Couteur AS, Macdonald G, McColl EM, Morris C, Rodgers J, Simonoff E, Terwee CB, Williams K. Systematic review of tools to measure outcomes for young children with autism spectrum disorder. Health Technology Assessment 2015, 19(41).
- BownessClarke J, Ford M, Heary S, Rodgers J, Freeston M. The Relationship Between Negative Problem Orientation and Worry: A Meta-Analytic Review. Psychopathology Review 2015. In Press.
- Lough E, Rodgers J, Hanley M, South M, Kirk H, Kennedy DP, Riby DM. Violations of personal space in young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Williams syndrome: Insights from the Social Responsiveness Scale. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2015, 45(12), 4101-4108.
- Grahame V, Rodgers J. Anxiety in neurodevelopmental disorders: Phenomenology, assessment, and intervention. In: Van Herwegen, J; Riby, DM, ed. Neurodevelopmental Disorders: Research Challenges and Solutions. Abingdon, Oxford: Psychology Press, 2014, pp.268-287.
- Wild A, Freeston M, Heary S, Rodgers J. Diminished physiological flexibility is associated with intolerance of uncertainty during affective decision making in adolescence. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology 2014, 5(4), 503-513.
- South M, Chamberlain PD, Wigham S, Newton T, Le Couteur A, McConachie H, Gray L, Freeston M, Parr J, Kirwan CB, Rodgers J. Enhanced decision making and risk avoidance in high-functioning autism spectrum disorder. Neuropsychology 2014, 28(2), 222-228.
- Janes E, Riby DM, Rodgers J. Exploring the prevalence and phenomenology of repetitive behaviours and abnormal sensory processing in children with Williams Syndrome. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 2014, 58(8), 746-757.
- McConachie H, McLaughlin E, Grahame V, Taylor H, Honey E, Tavernor L, Rodgers J, Freeston M, Hemm C, Steen N, Le Couteur A. Group therapy for anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder. Autism 2014, 18(6), 723-732.
- Boulter C, Freeston M, South M, Rodgers J. Intolerance of Uncertainty as a Framework for Understanding Anxiety in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 44(6), 1391-1402.
- Maskey M, Lowry J, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Parr J. Reducing specific phobia/fear in young people with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) through a virtual reality environment intervention. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(7), e100374.
- Lidstone J, Uljarevic M, Sullivan J, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Freeston M, Le Couteur A, Prior M, Leekam S. Relations among restricted and repetitive behaviours, anxiety and sensory features in children with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2014, 8(2), 82-92.
- Riby D, Hanley M, Kirk H, Clark F, Janes E, Kelso L, O'Kane F, Hocking D, Cornish K, Rodgers J. The Interplay Between Anxiety and Social Functioning in Williams Syndrome. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 44(5), 1220-1229.
- Wigham S, Rodgers J, South M, McConachie H, Freeston M. The interplay between sensory processing abnormalities, intolerance of uncertainty, anxiety and restricted and repetitive behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 45(4), 943-952.
- Chamberlain PD, Rodgers J, Crowley MJ, White SE, Freeston MH, South M. A potentiated startle study of uncertainty and contextual anxiety in adolescents diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Molecular Autism 2013, 4, 1-11.
- Riby DM, Janes E, Rodgers J. Brief Report: Exploring the Relationship Between Sensory Processing and Repetitive Behaviours in Williams Syndrome. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2013, 43(2), 478-482.
- Glod M, Jamieson R, Cresswell C, South M, McConachie H, Rodgers J. Factor Structure and Measurement Invariance of the Spence Children’s Anxiety Scale - Parent Version across Children with Anxiety and Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 2013. Submitted.
- Tavernor L, Barron E, Rodgers J, McConachie H. Finding out what matters: Validity of quality of life measurement in young people with ASD. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(4), 592-601.
- Little K, Riby D, Janes E, Clark F, Fleck R, Rodgers J. Heterogeneity of Social Approach Behaviour in Williams syndrome: The Role of Response Inhibition. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2013, 34(3), 959-967.
- Maskey M, Lowry J, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Parr J. Reducing specific phobia/fear in young people with ASD through a virtual reality environment intervention. 2013. Submitted.
- Wadnerkar MB, Pirinen T, Haines-Bazrafshan R, Rodgers J, James D. A single case study of a family-centred intervention with a young girl with cerebral palsy who is a multimodal communicator. Child: Care, Health and Development 2012, 38(1), 87-97.
- Rodgers J, Riby DM, Janes E, Connolly B, McConachie H. Anxiety and Repetitive Behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Williams syndrome: A Cross-syndrome Comparison. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2012, 42(2), 175-180.
- Fletcher-Watson S, Leekam SR, Connolly B, Collis JM, Findlay JM, McConachie HR, Rodgers J. Attenuation of change blindness in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. British Journal of Developmental Psychology 2012, 30(3), 446-458.
- Williams S, Dagnan D, Rodgers J, McDowell K. Changes in attributions as a consequence of training for challenging and complex behaviour for carers of people with learning disabilities: A systematic review. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2012, 25(3), 203-216.
- Alhaj HA, Selman M, Jervis V, Rodgers J, Barton S, McAllister-Williams RH. Effect of low-dose acute tryptophan depletion on the specificity of autobiographical memory in healthy subjects with a family history of depression. Psychopharmacology 2012, 222(2), 285-292.
- Honey E, Rodgers J, McConachie H. Measurement of restricted and repetitive behaviour in children with autism spectrum disorder: Selecting a questionnaire or interview. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2012, 6(2), 757-776.
- Rodgers J. Measuring anxiety in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: reliability and validity of the Spence Children’s Anxiety Scale. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 2012. Submitted.
- Rodgers J, Glod M, Connolly B, McConachie H. The relationship between anxiety and repetitive behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2012, 42(11), 2404-2409.
- Williams S, Dagnan D, Rodgers J, Freeston M. The moderation of attributions of control and their effect on the judgement of responsibility and subsequent emotional outcomes in carers of people with intellectual disability. JARID 2011. Submitted.
- Honey E, McConachie H, Turner M, Rodgers J. Validation of the Repetitive Behaviour Questionnaire for use with Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2011, 6(1), 355-364.
- Chen YH, Rodgers J, McConachie H. Restricted and repetitive behaviours, sensory processing and cognitive style in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2009, 39(4), 635-642.
- McFarlane J, Welch J, Rodgers J. Severity of Alzheimer's disease and effect on premorbid measures of intelligence. British Journal of Clinical Psychology 2006, 45(4), 453-463.
- Rodgers J, Martin CR, Morse RC, Kendell K, Verrill MW. An investigation into the psychometric properties of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in patients with breast cancer. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2005, 3, 41.
- Bruce S, Rodgers J, Firth M, Freeston M. Mum knows best? Psychological status in an oncology sample. Child: Care, Health and Development 2005, 31(6), 643-648.
- Buchanan T, Ali T, Heffernan TM, Ling J, Parrott AC, Rodgers J, Scholey AB. Nonequivalence of on-line and paper-and-pencil psychological tests: The case of the prospective memory questionnaire. Behavior Research Methods 2005, 37(1), 148-154.
- Brown K, Rodgers J, Johnstone H, Adams W, Clarke M, Gibson M, Cheetham T. Abnormal cognitive function in treated congenital hypopituitarism. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2004, 89(9), 827-830.
- Foxton JM, Stewart ME, Barnard L, Rodgers J, Young AH, O'Brien G, Griffiths TD. Absence of auditory 'global interference' in autism. Brain 2003, 126(12), 2703-2709.
- Mccue P, Martin C, Buchanan T, Rodgers J, Scholey AB. An investigation into the psychometric properties of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Psychology, Health & Medicine 2003, 8(4), 427-441.
- Rodgers J, Marckus R, Kearns P, Windebank K. Attentional ability among survivors of leukaemia treated without cranial irradiation. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003, 88(2), 147-150.
- Morse R, Rodgers J, Verrill M, Kendell K. Neuropsychological functioning following systemic treatment in women treated for breast cancer: A review. European Journal of Cancer 2003, 39(16), 2288-2297.
- Heffernan TM, Jarvis H, Rodgers J, Scholey AB, Ling J. Perceptions of everyday memory impairments and central executive functions in recreational users of ‘ecstasy’. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical & Experimental - Special issue: The human psychopharmacology of MDMA or “Ecstasy” 2001, 16(8), 607-612.
- Whiteley P, Rodgers J, Shattock P. Feeding patterns in autism. Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice 2000, 4(2), 207-211.
- Rodgers J. Visual perception and Asperger Syndrome: Central coherence deficit or hierarchization deficit? A pilot study. Autism 2000, 4(3), 321-329.
- Whiteley P, Rodgers J, Shattock P. Clinical features associated with autism: observations of symptoms outside the diagnostic boundaries of autistic spectrum disorders. Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice 1998, 2, 4.
- RODGERS J, BRITTON PG, MORRIS RG, KERNAHAN J, CRAFT AW. MEMORY AFTER TREATMENT FOR ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC-LEUKEMIA. ARCHIVES OF DISEASE IN CHILDHOOD 1992, 67(3), 266-268.