Dr Joan Harvey
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8829
I am a chartered psychologist who qualified in the area of occupational psychology. My special area of research interest involves transport psychology including risk and safety. I have also been involved in a major programme funded by the EU which involves cross-cultural psychology applied to engineering designers from different countries working collaboratively. I am located in the School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering.
I teach ergonomics/human systems integration and work psychology.
Dr JOAN HARVEY BSc, MPhil, PhD, AFBPsS, C Psychol
Education: University College London BSc Hons Psychology with ancillary mathematics; Birkbeck College London M. Phil. Occupational Psychology; Sheffield University PhD
Work/consultancy experience with South-Eastern Trains, Transport Catapult/DfT, Esso, BNFL, Reed Employment, Consumers’ Association, CA Parsons, Entrust, Stonham Housing, Productivity North East, Company Health, Tyneside Health Action Zone, Gorman Hamilton, SEQM, EMI Electronics, etc
British Psychological Society
Transport Psychology, including driver behaviour: risk perception and driver boredom and attitudes
Risk perception and risk taking: in relation to health, safety culture and risky behaviour at work. The study of risk emanated from research into safety culture in the nuclear and other industries and people'e perceptions of health risks such as those associated with BSE.
I have recently been involved in work for the European Union [FP6] which includes the development of a cross-cultural assimilator which can be accessed by people in small and medium engineering design companies in many different countries so they can understand how cultural differences are reflected in different behaviours and understandings; this is a development of my earlier work on cross-cultural differences.
Consumer Psychology: including perception of and attitudes to value and prices, charitable giving, humour in advertising, attitudes to various product groups including perfumes, organic and fair trade foods, and a particularly focus is upon people's attitudes, beliefs and perceptions of energy, recycling, waste and sustainability.
In addition to my research into safety culture and safety performance, I have research experience in absenteeism from work, stress at work and attitudes such as job satisfaction, commitment and trust in the workplace.
I work using both qualitative and quantitative research methods, such as attitude scales, Repertory Grid, attribtutional analysis of interviews etc..
Postgraduate Supervision: Recent PhD completions:
Nichola Huyer [pt evaluation of action sheets for management training]
Matthew Caygill [ft shared with Neil Thorpe and Anil Namdeo: attitudes to High Speed Rail]
Simon Heslop [ft shared with Neil Thorpe and Anil Namdeo] driver boredom
Fahad Alnoeim [ft, Job satisfaction]
Lise Stoyell [pt staff, risk perception and decision making]
Rahim Ghasemiyeh [ft shared with Prof Feng Li, IT development in Iran]
Oliver Heidrich [ft, waste management analysis, attitudes to and perceptions of waste].
John Nicholls [pt, Organizational supportiveness]
Member of Technical Programme Committee for PSAM 2008 and 2010
Member of Technical Programme Committees for ESREL 2006, 2007 2008 and 2009, responsible for risk perception and communications.
Review papers for: Journal of Applied Psychology, Work and Stress, Health Risk and Society, Personnel Review, Risk Analysis, British Journal of Industrial Relations, Industrial Relations Journal, Human Relations, Reliability Engineering & System Safety.
BPS& University spokesman for psychology. Appearances include BBC Breakfast TV & News 24, BBC1, Radio 2, Radio 5 Live, Radio 4, BBC Radio Newcastle, TTTV, Daily Telegraph, Independent, Cosmopolitan, Evening Chronicle, Journal,
Co-chair and co-editor of proceedings: 4th International Conference on Design and Manufacture for Sustainable Development 2005.
Department for Transport Catapult. New technology engagement among older people [with Amy Guo and Simon Edwards].
South-Eastern Trains: attitudes of commuters.
EU FP6 contract: IMPORTNeT 033610: Intelligent modular open source Platform for intercultural and cross-domain SME networks. UK contribution is RCID [Ron Jamieson and Joan Harvey]
SEQM to write safety training.
AADrivetech to prepare literature review on young driver behaviour.
Dipstick research to analyse data and write report on attitudes to advertising of different brands
MEC8028 Design for Human Systems Integration and Ergonomics
PSY3028 Work Psychology
Past PhDs supervised on: action plans and evaluation of management raining and development, attitudes to High Speed Rail, driver boredom, organizational supportiveness, attitudes to waste management, job satisfaction
- Guo W, Harvey J, Edwards S. Older Travellers and Technology Engagement. Transport Systems Catapult, 2017.
- Harvey J, Guo A, Edwards S. The Instrumented Passenger Project. In: Behavioural Psychology in Transport. 2017. In Preparation.
- Guo A, Harvey J, Hill G. Investigating the Rail Commuters’ Experience - Instrumented Traveller Project Report. 2016.
- Guo W, Hill G, Harvey J. Tracking and identifying areas of stress in rail commuter journeys through eye-tracking and data fusion. In: 5th International Conference on Transport and Health. 2016, San Jose, California, USA: Elsevier.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Caygill M, Namdeo A. Public attitudes to and perceptions of high speed rail in the UK. Transport Policy 2014, 36, 70-78.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Fairchild R. Attitudes towards and perceptions of eco-driving and the role of feedback systems. Ergonomics 2013, 56(3), 507-521.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Guo A. Young Driver Training: A Critical Review of the Literature. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2013.
- Beattie A, Durham J, Harvey J, Steele J, McHanwell S. Does empathy change in first year dental students? European Journal of Dental Education. European Journal of Dental Education 2012, 16(1), E111- E116.
- Harvey J, Finney S, Stewart L, Gillespie J. The relationship between cognition and sensation in determining when and where to void: the concept of cognitive voiding. BJU International 2012, 110(11), 1756-1761.
- Harvey J. A ratings based stakeholder analysis for a food production company, including trust and risk implications. Business Strategy Series 2011, 12(2), 98-104.
- Drady K, Harvey J. Developing Students into Creative Managers. In: Kemp, P., Atfield, R, ed. Enhancing graduate impact in Business, Management, Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism. Newbury, UK: Threshold Press, 2011, pp.87- 94.
- Harvey J. Eco-Behaviour and Why Do We Continue to Drive?. In: AGRARIAN PERSPECTIVES. 2011, DEPT SYSTEMS ENG, KAMYCKA 129, PRAGUE 6 165 21, CZECH REPUBLIC: CZECH UNIVERSITY LIFE SCIENCES PRAGUE.
- Harvey J, Heslop S, Thorpe N. The categorisation of drivers in relation to boredom. Transportation Planning and Technology 2011, 34(1), 51-69.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Heslop S, Mulley C. Driver Boredom: Does it differ across cultures and why?. In: 10th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment & Management Conference (PSAM). 2010, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Heslop S, Harvey J, Thorpe N, Mulley C. Factors that comprise driver boredom and their relationships to preferred driving speed and demographic variables. Transportation Planning and Technology 2010, 33(1), 75-89.
- Harvey J. Stakeholder analysis applied to safety issues in food production: what are the issues in terms of trust and risks and their implications? A sample analysis. In: AGRARIAN PERSPECTIVES. 2010, DEPT SYSTEMS ENG, KAMYCKA 129, PRAGUE 6 165 21, CZECH REPUBLIC: CZECH UNIVERSITY LIFE SCIENCES PRAGUE.
- Pearce KF, Harvey J, Jamieson R. Cultural differences in design perceptions of consumer products: A Kansei engineering approach. In: R Bris, C Guedes Soares & S Martorell, ed. Reliability, Risk and Safety. London: Taylor and Francis, 2009, pp.767-772.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Turnbull L. How do we perceive heroes?. Journal of Risk Research 2009, 12(3-4), 313-327.
- Harvey J, Pearce KF, Jamieson R. Risks and engineering design across cultures. In: R Bris, C Guedes Soares, S Martorell, ed. Reliability, Risk and Safety: Theory and Applications. London: Taylor & Francis, 2009, pp.791-798.
- Heidrich O, Harvey J, Tollin N. Stakeholder analysis for industrial waste management systems. Waste Management 2009, 29(2), 965-973.
- Nicholls J, Harvey J, Erdos G. The concept of organizational supportiveness. In: S Martorell, C Guedes Soares and J Barnett, ed. Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications. London: CRC Press, 2009, pp.291-298.
- Harvey J, Jamieson R, Pearce K. The potential for error in communications between engineering designers. In: S Martorell, C Guedes Soares and J Barnett, ed. Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications. London: CRC Press, 2009, pp.1447-1454.
- Heidrich O, Harvey J, Tollin N. A new approach to stakeholder assessment. In: International Association for Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference (PSAM). 2008, Hong Kong: International Association for Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Kolman L. Cross-cultural and gender difference in aesthetic preferences of landscapes. In: 20th Biennial Congress of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics. 2008, Chicago, USA: International Association of Empirical Aesthetics.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Earnshaw L. Do self-image and personality affect how people perceive portraits?. In: 20th Biennial Congress of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics. 2008, Chicago, USA: International Association of Empirical Aesthetics.
- Macrae J, Harvey J, Fraser SC. Left-right confusion as the cause of wrong-side surgery: implications for medical education. In: International Association for Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference. 2008, New Orleans, LA, USA: International Association for Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management.
- Short TD, Harvey J. Lightbulbs and Nappies: Sustainable Development and Customer Perceptions. International Journal of Sustainable Design 2008, 1(1), 13-28.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Kolman L. Interkulturni aspekty vnimani emoci a vyrazu tvare v portretech. In: Komunikace mezi kulturami. Prague: Czeska zemedelska univerzita v Praze, 2007, pp.213-220.
- Harvey J, Francis N, Eckersley I, Warwick L. Smoking, alcohol consumption and risks to health. In: T Aven and JE Vinnem, ed. Risk, Reliability and Societal Safety. London: Taylor & Francis, 2007, pp.1615-1622.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, McKie H, Preston D. Perceived risk, behavioural control and motivation to protect health in relation to the Avian 'flu epidemic. In: Proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference 2006, ESREL 2006 - Safety and Reliability for Managing Risk. 2006, Estoril, Portugal: Taylor & Francis.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, McKie H, Preston D. Perceived risk, behavioural control and motivation to protect health in relation to the Avian 'flu epidemic. In: Safety and Reliability for Managing Risk: Proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference 2006. 2006, Estoril, Portugal: Taylor and Francis.
- Harvey J, Erdos G. The perception of emotion and facial expressions in portraits. In: Culture and Communication: Proceedings of the XIX Congress of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics. 2006, Avignon, France: IAEA.
- Lowry RJ, Maunder P, Steele JG, Colligan J, Beard CA, Harvey J, Erdos G. Hearts and mouths: Perceptions of oral hygiene by at-risk heart surgery patients. British Dental Journal 2005, 199(7), 449-451.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Jackson H, Dennison S. Can safety culture in differing organizations mean the same thing?. In: Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management. 2004, Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Jackson H, Dennison S. Is safety culture in differing organizations the same thing? A comparison of safety culture measures in three organizations. Risk, Decision and Policy 2004, 9(4), 391-400.
- Harvey J, Norman P, Joyce S. Multi-attribute decision making and public perceptions of risk in relation to large scale environmental projects. Risk, Decision and Policy 2004, 9(4), 337-346.
- Joyce S, Harvey J, Norman P. Public perceptions of energy efficiency and recycling: how these can inform the communications and design processes. In: Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management (PSAM7–ESREL). 2004, Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Harvey J, Norman P, Joyce S. Public perceptions of risk in relation to large scale environmental projects: a Multi-attribute Decision Making method. In: Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management (PSAM7–ESREL). 2004, Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Harvey J, Erdos G. Psychological rewards and bad risks: the roles of prosocial, antisocial, moral and immoral attitudes, values and beliefs as determinants of individual risk-taking behaviour: a framework for further research. In: 14th European Safety and Reliability Conference (ESREL). 2003, Maastricht, Netherlands: Taylor & Francis.
- Harvey J, Joyce S, Norman P. Public Perceptions of Sustainability, Energy Efficiency and Recycling - How these can inform the Design Process. In: Design and Manufacture for Sustainable Development. 2003, Homerton College, Cambridge, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Strong A. The relationship between attitudes and behaviour in terms of smoking and responses to food scares. In: 14th European Safety and Reliability Conference (ESREL). 2003, Maastricht, Netherlands: Taylor & Francis.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Bolam H, Cox MAA, Kennedy JNP, Gregory DT. An analysis of safety culture attitudes in a highly regulated environment. Work and Stress 2002, 16(1), 18-36.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Holme J, Raven T, Staunton GDL, Walton A. An empirical study of protein consumption and attitudes to genetically modified food. Risk, Decision and Policy 2002, 7(1), 81-94.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Bolam H, Gregory D. An examination of different safety cultures in a nuclear processing plant. Risk, Decision and Policy 2002, 7(1), 69-80.
- Erdos G, Harvey J, Tan JL. Perceiving Emotions from Facial Expressions in Paintings. Empirical Studies Of The Arts 2001, 19(2), 157-166.
- Harvey J, Bolam H, Gregory D, Erdos G. The effectiveness of training to change safety culture and attitudes within a highly regulated environment. Personnel Review 2001, 30(6), 615-636.
- Harvey J, Erdos G, Challinor S, Drew S, Taylor S, Ash R, Ward S, Gibson C, Scarr C, Dixon F, Hinde A, Moffat C. The relationship between attitudes, demographic factors and perceived consumption of meats and other proteins in relation to the BSE crisis: A regional study in the United Kingdom. Health, Risk and Society 2001, 3(2), 181-197.
- Harvey J, Carter S, Mudimu G. A comparison of work values and motives among Zimbabwean and British managers. Personnel Review 2000, 29(6), 723-742.
- Harvey J, Bolam H, Gregory D. The analysis of qualitative safety information using attributional coding. In: Foresight and Precaution: proceedings of ESREL 2000, SARS and SRA-Europe annual conference. 2000, Edinburgh: Balkema, Rotterdam.
- Harvey J, Bolam H, Gregory D. The effectiveness of training to change safety culture and attitudes. In: Conference on Foresight and Precaution. 2000, Edinburgh, Scotland: AA Balkema Publishers.
- Harvey J, Nicholson N. Minor illness as a legitimate reason for absence. Journal of Organizational Behavior 1999, 20(6), 979-993.
- Harvey J, Bolam H, Gregory D. The application of triangulation to qualitative performance data. In: 2nd International Conference on the Control of Industrial Processes. 1999, Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Harvey J. & Nicholson N. Incentives and Penalties as Means of Influencing Attendance. A study in the UK public sector. International Journal of Human Resource Management 1993, 4(4), 856-874.