Postgraduate Opportunities in Fine Art
The 2016 MFA Degree Exhibition runs from Saturday 20th August to September 3rd 2016. The Private View is from 6-8pm on Friday 19th August. Everyone is welcome to come and celebrate the students' achievements. Review of 2015 MFA Exhibition: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/art-made-seaweed-dancing-wardrobe-9921479
We are also very pleased to announce that we have been successful in our application to the AHRC under the second phase of the Block Grant Partnership for funding of future PhD students as part of the Northern Bridge Consortium, along with Durham University and Queen's University Belfast. Details of the application process and the deadlines for 2017 will shortly be available on the Northern Bridge web site.
MFA, MPhil and PhD
Newcastle University offers two types of postgraduate degrees in Fine Art - a taught postgraduate masters course - the MFA, and two research-based postgraduate degrees - the MPhil and PhD. At Newcastle you will be taught by some of the best researchers working nationally and internationally. In the last national UK ‘Research Assessment Exercise’, 85% of our research was rated ‘internationally excellent’ or better, placing us in the top five of all UK art schools.
- The MFA is a two-year full time studio-based programme in Fine Art. It is designed for graduates in Fine Art and for those with other backgrounds who wish to establish or extend their position as practitioners in the contemporary art world. Around 80% of the course is your studio work, with professional practice and dissertation modules making up the other 20%. We admit ten students per year onto the MFA. Alongside the Slade, the Royal College of Art, Glasgow School of Art and Reading University, the course at Newcastle University remains one of the few two-year full-time masters courses in Fine Art in the UK.
- The MPhil is a research degree requiring a year of study full-time or two years part-time. The project/proposal for the MPhil can be practice-led or theoretical, and the submission can be a text or a combination of studio practice and text.
- PhD students may propose a research project that is practice-led or a research project that is solely text based. A practice-led PhD would require three years of full-time study (or six years part-time) and the final submission would be a combination of an exhibition of creative work made over the period of study/research and a thesis. The thesis would typically be 30,000 words, which constitutes approximately 30% of the degree. A text based PhD would require three years of study (or six years part-time) and the final submission would typically be a thesis of 80 - 100,000 words. PhD students will normally have completed a masters level course prior to their PhD.
Current and recent PhD student research projects can be seen here, and have included: Anthony Schrag, Cath Keay, Ruth Barker, Annie O'Donnell, Jason Dee, Christian Mieves, Tom Schofield, Janet Lambert, John Maclean, James Quin, Kate Stobbart, Alexia Mellor, Gareth Hudson, Isabella Streffen, Lilian Nabulime.