School of Arts and Cultures

Master of Fine Arts

Master of Fine Art

Overview

Our Master of Fine Art (MFA) is a two-year full time studio-based programme in Fine Art. It is designed for graduates in Fine Art. It is also for those with other backgrounds who wish to establish or extend their position as practitioners in the contemporary art world.

Master of Fine Art

Our Master of Fine Art (MFA) is a two-year full time studio-based programme in Fine Art. 

It is designed for graduates in Fine Art or those who want to establish or extend their position as practitioners in the contemporary art world.

The programme also offers a grounding for those hoping to progress to PhD degree study.

We admit 10 students per year on to the MFA. Our course is one of the few two-year full-time masters courses in Fine Art in the UK. 

The course

You'll work in purpose-built studio space. The course combines intensive personal studio practice and critical scrutiny

Our teachers are a wide range of distinguished and internationally celebrated practicing artists

You will have 24-hour access to your studio. Towards the end of June, when the undergraduate students are no longer in the building. You can then use all the studios in the building.

Your work

Our course supports a range of practices, whether you work with:

  • painting, drawing and sculpture
  • digital media
  • performance
  • photography
  • printmaking
  • installation and video art

We encourage and support the practice and study of art through thoughtful and informed investigation, experimentation and speculation.

Resources and support

You are expected to pursue your practice and research with a high level of independence. You'll also be supported throughout by your  supervisor. 

You'll meet your supervisor regularly to discuss your work. We run a programme of:

  • cross-disciplinary seminars
  • group studio discussions
  • lectures by distinguished visiting artists

Find out more

Find out about the course structure and aims and options for study abroad.

To discuss the course, contact the MFA Programme Director, Irene Brown.

For full details, see our degree description.

Course Structure & Aims

About 80% of the course is your studio work. Professional practice and dissertation modules make up the other 20%.

The course is based around six modules. Approximately 80% of your time is based in the studio pursuing your self-directed creative practice.

All the seminars and lectures related to the course take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Course aims

Our overall aim is to foster:

  • creative imagination
  • intellectual rigour
  • innovative thinking

We encourage active engagement with practice and relevant artistic and academic debates.

Supportive learning environment

Our supportive and responsive learning environment let you acquire advanced practical and theoretical skills. You'll be able to establish yourself as a practitioner in Fine Art or in other careers in the visual arts field.

We'll help you develop your individual potential and abilities. We do this through enabling self-directed and independent practice-led research.

You'll be in a learning environment where the relationship between theory and practice is constantly interrogated and critiqued.

Fostering key skills

We aim to improve your knowledge and use of appropriate key skills. These key skills include the ability to:

  • manage projects with regard to time and resources
  • work as part of a group and independently
  • solve problems creatively
  • communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing

Study Abroad

Studying Fine Art abroad as part of your degree programme can be a valuable and stimulating part of your student experience.

Study trips abroad

We run regular study trips abroad, usually one each semester. They generally last between four and seven days. These are organised by the department and are optional.

You have to self-fund these trips.

Recent trips have been to New York, the Venice Biennale, Madrid, Florence and Berlin.

Individual research trips

You can apply for funding for individual research trips.

The Bartlett Travel Scholarships scheme has a fund of approximately £4,000 a year.

You have to submit a written application that is assessed by a panel of Fine Art Tutors.

Student exchanges

You can apply to study at one of our partner institutions for a semester (three to five months) in Semester 1 of Year 2.

We have links through the Erasmus scheme. We also have links independently with a number of institutions and artists' groups worldwide.

Annual student exchanges take place with art schools in:

  • Munich
  • Bremen
  • Bratislava
  • Crakow
  • Ghent
  • Melbourne
  • Istanbul

You can also arrange a period of study abroad yourself. Previous students have organised to spend time in art departments in:

  • USA
  • Switzerland
  • Germany
  • Finland
  • Holland