Study With Us
Welcome to The International Centre for Music Studies (ICMuS)
Welcome to the pages for the International Centre for Music Studies (ICMuS). ICMuS is one of the largest Music Departments in the UK, and our size enables us to offer a wide range of modules and topics at all levels of study.
We're consistently ranked as one of the best universities to study Music in the UK. We were ranked 5th in the UK in The Times Good University Guide 2013, and in the top 20 for Music in the 2015 Guardian University Guide.
80% of our research is classified as 'internationally excellent' or 'world-leading' in the last REF exercise. The excellence of our teaching has been recognised by the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
Our teaching covers a broad range of musical repertoires, including:
- Classical music (Western art music)
- Contemporary musics (art, jazz, avant-garde and popular)
- Early music (1750)
- Popular music from all over the world
- Folk and traditional
And we cover these topics from a broad range of approaches, including:
- Historical, cultural and critical musicology
- Composition (notated, studio-based, improvised)
Our students belong to a vibrant community of musicians, scholars and practitioners. They are able to take part in a huge range of exciting activities, including:
- performing in staff and student ensembles (folk, classical, contemporary, popular, jazz and word musics)
- enjoying our professional concert series
- attending weekly public student performances
International students and studying abroad
We welcome applications from international students and we currently have students working with us from all over the world, including China, Taiwan, India, other EU member states, The United States, Latin America and Japan.
We also offer options for our students to study abroad during their degree on the BMus with a year abroad , or as part of any of our research degrees for postgraduate students.
Download our extensive list of partner universities and organisations (PDF: 156 KB).