Study With Us
Welcome to The International Centre for Music Studies (ICMuS)
The International Centre for Music Studies (ICMuS) is one of the largest Music Departments in the UK, and our size enables us to offer a wide range of modules and topics at all levels of study.
We're consistently ranked as one of the best universities to study Music in the UK. We have been consistently ranmked in top 20 in national league tables of university music departments most recently in The Complete Good University Guide 2018.
80% of our research is classified as 'internationally excellent' or 'world-leading' in the last REF exercise. The excellence of our teaching has been recognised in Newcastle Universty's Gold rating in the recent Teaching Excellence Framework exercise.
Our teaching covers a broad range of musical repertoires, including:
- Classical music (Western art music)
- Contemporary musics (art, jazz, avant-garde and popular)
- Early music
- Popular music from all over the world
- Folk and traditional music
And we cover these topics from a broad range of approaches, including:
- Historical, cultural and critical musicology
- Composition (notated, studio-based, improvised)
Our students belong to a vibrant community of musicians, scholars and practitioners. They are able to take part in a huge range of exciting activities, including:
- performing in staff and student ensembles (folk, classical, contemporary, popular, jazz and word musics)
- enjoying our weekly professional concert series
- attending, and taking part in, weekly public student performances
We offer a wealth of opportunities to develop your musicality with leading professional performers and composers.
International students and studying abroad
We welcome applications from international students and we currently have students working with us from all over the world, including China, Taiwan, India, other EU member states, The United States, Latin America and Japan.
We also offer options for our students to study abroad during their undergraduate degree on the BMus with a year abroad , or as part of any of our research degrees for postgraduate students.
Download our list of partner universities and organisations (PDF: 156 KB).