Lecturer, Degree Programme Director MFA Fine Art
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5162
- Personal Website: http://drop-city.net/
I make paintings, both figurative and abstract, objects and text which are intimately but indirectly, linked to the conventions and history of painting. Working obliquely with the legacy of women artists, my work has sought to comprehend the relationship between painting, biography, persona and clothing; most recently through a consideration of the work of artists Winifred Knights b. 1899 d. 1947 and Christina Ramberg b. 1947 d. 1995.
2015 Can you forgive her? Drop City, Newcastle upon Tyne
2014 can you forgive her? Mauve, Vienna
2013 Moda WK, Lokaal 01, Antwerp
2011 From Flemish Portraiture to Czech Cubist Furniture, Volta, New York
2009 September, DLI Gallery, Durham Cathedral Artist in Residence
2007 Lusqvarna, Landguard Fort, off site project supported by Arts Council England, English Heritage and Landguard Trust
2007 Bergholzli, Vane, Newcastle
2005 Grand Mal, Transition, London
2003 Goria, Transition, London
2003 Phantasmagoria, Chapter, Cardiff
2001 Perfect Lux, Cassian De Vere Cole, London
Selected Group Exhibitions, Performances and Talks
2016, Drop City Centre, Nadia Hebson, Paul Becker, Sam Watson, Elinor Wright, Katie Schwab, Francesco Pedraglio, Sophie Macpherson, hobbypopMUSEUM, Laing Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne
2015 WE (NOT I) Artists Space, New York
2015 So, Drop City, Nadia Hebson, Paul Becker, Sam Watson, Elinor Wright, Mauve, Vienna
2014 Christina Ramberg, Carlton Place, Glasgow International, Sophie Macpherson and Nadia Hebson in conversation discussing the work and legacy of Ramberg's paintings for contemporary women artists
2013 East Coast West Coast, with Paul Becker, Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridge
2013 Corridor Plateau, Autocentre, Berlin
2013 Corridor Plateau, The Northern Charter, Newcastle
2013 The Walser Cycle, developmental performance of 3 Robert Walser plays, with Paul Becker
Tess Denman-Cleaver, Baltic 39, Newcastle
2013 MODA WK, Vane, Newcastle, curatorial project with Titania Seidl and Holly Antrum
2012 The Contunuation of Romance, Rosenfeld Porcini, London
2012 The Dorian Project, Second Guest and Ana Cristea, New York
2010 400 Women, Shoreditch Town Hall, London
2010 Art Blitz, Transition, London
2010 Trajector, Error One, Brussels
2010 MTR, Sophie Macpherson, Alex Frost, Jim Skuldt, Paul Becker, AIR Antwerpen, Antwerp
2009 Disciples of Cranach, Utrophia, London
2009 Sing Sisters Sweetly, DLI Gallery, Durham collaborative project with Lindsay Wright
2009 Rotate, Contemporary Arts Society, London
2009 A room inside them, Vane, Newcastle
2008 Jerwood Contemporary Painters, Jerwood Space, London
2008 The Director's Apartment, British School at Rome, Rome
2008 Awapbapadoowap , Transition, London
2008 Zwei Raum Wohnung, Husemann, Berlin
2008 Sovereign Art Prize Exhibition, Somerset House, London
2008 The Painting Room, Transition, London
2007 Salon Nouveau, Englholm Engelhorn, Vienna
2007 The Whiteness of the Whale: Anna-Karin Jansson, Reece Jones, and Nadia Hebson, Transition, London, N Hebson curatorial project
2007 Mutineer: 10 British Painters, Kunsthaus Mengerzeile, Berlin
2007 Revolver, PZ Gallery, Cornwall
2006 The Portrait, Ashwin Street Gallery, V22, London
2006 Fable:Nadia Hebson, Zoe Mendelson, Joel Tomlin, Chapter, Cardiff
2005 Acid Drops and Sugar Candy, Fosterart and Transition, London
2005 Gothic Love - Glove, Lange Gasse, Augsburg, Germany
2005 Able Seaman, Durling Ward, London
2004 Painting and Lying, Archive project with Annabel Dover funded by Arts Council
2004 Snow, curated by Stella Vine and Alex Morrison, Transition, London
2003 ....Sympathy, Keith Talent Gallery, London and G39, Cardiff
2003 Sense and Sensibility, Artists take on Art History, Transition, London
Residencies, Fellowships and Scholarships
2014 Vytlacil Residency Programme, New York
2013 LokaaL 01, Antwerp
2010 Air Antwerpen, Artist in Residence
2008-09 Durham Cathedral Artist in Residence
2008 Derek Hill Foundation Scholar, The British School at Rome
2004-05 Lecturing Residency, L’École Des Beaux Arts Toulouse
2001 - 2 Painting Research Fellow, University of Wales Institute Cardiff
Awards and Research Grants
2015 Grants for the Arts, Arts Council England for curatorial programme Drop City
2014 Arts Council England Individual Award
2012 Arts Council England Individual Award
2009 Arts Council England Individual Award for Publication Nadia Hebson Paintings
2008-9 Winner Sovereign European Art Prize, selected by Philly Adams, Tim Marlow, Jarvis Cocker,
Alan Yentob, Sir Peter Blake, Rachel Campbell Johnson
2008 Arts Council England Individual Award
2008 Nominated by Humphrey Ocean RA for The Arts Foundation Fellowship Programme
2007 Arts Council England Individual Award
2006 Arts Council England Individual Award
2004 Duveen Woman Artist Award
2004 Casson Drawing Prize
2003 Arts Council Joint Project Award
2003 BOC Emerging Artist Award selected by Mathew Collings and Peter Blake RA
2002 Arts Council Of Wales Award
2008 Cardiff 2008 Project Award
2000 Andre De Segonzac Travel Award, Royal Academy
1999 British Institute Drawing Prize
1999 Vincent Harris Award, Royal Academy
1996 Arte Viva Painting Prize, Italy
1996 Cohn and Wolfe Painting Prize, selected by Andrew Graham Dixon
Reviews, critical texts and publications
2015 Can you forgive her? Review, Natasha Soobramanien, Frieze, Issue 169, March 2015
2015 Christina Ramberg 42 Carlton Place, Review, Hebson, N, Journal of Contemporary Painting, Vol 1, issue 2, editors Rebecca Fortnum, Beth Harland, Dan Sturgis
2014 MODA WK -work made in response to the paintings, drawings, correspondence, clothing and interior design of British artist Winifred Knights, 1899-1947, (an expanded legacy), Hebson, N, designed by Kaisa Lassinaro, 124 pages, AND Public, supported by the Derek Hill Foundation and Newcastle University, ISBN 978-1-908452-48-1
2013 Winifred Knights, N Hebson text on Winifred Knights, PERSONA, edited by Melissa Gordon and Marina Vishmidt, published Archive Books, Berlin
2013 Winifred Knights, N Hebson lecture on engagement with the legacy of Winifred Knights, Painting Symposium, with Merlin James and Dexter Dalwood, Newcastle University
2013 Winifred Knights, N Hebson text on Winifred Knights, subjective biography and an appropriate education for women, ELIA Expanding Legacies Conference, Granada
2013 Review for MODA WK, Robert Clarke, The Guardian, 1st June
2010 Newsnight Review, BBC 2, 26th November, 400 Women Project
2010 Womens Hour, BBC Radio 4, 15th Novemer, 400 Women Project
2009 Nadia Hebson Paintings, University of Sunderland, DLI Museum, St Chads College, Durham University,Arts Council England, Durham Cathedral, ISBN 978-1-906832-03-2
2009 The Day Before you came, Anthony Shapland, Garageland, The Nostalgia Issue,
2009 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Standpoint Magazine (ONLINE), July Issue, Michael Prodger
2008 Review, The Jerwood Contemporary Painters, Charles Darwent,The Independent, 20th April
2008 Fine Arts Catalogue 2007-2008, The British School at Rome, ISBN 978-0-9041 904152-52-4
2007 Letting The Ghosts In: Nadia Hebson, Peter Suchin
2001 Lusqvarna, Artists Book, text by Duncan Ward
2007 Garageland, Painting and Translating , University of The Arts, London
2007 Bergholzli, Artists Book, Vane
2007 Fable, Exhibition Catalogue, Angela Kingston and Gordon Dalton, Chapter Publications, ISBN:1 900029 227
2007 Total Spec Magazine, N Hebson interviewed by Alex Michon
2006 Garageland, La Grande Mort, article by N Hebson on Moby Dick
2006 Home for Lost Ideas, Dan Rees and Catherine Griffiths, Published by Archive Books, Berlin
2005 New Fabulism Lecture, Tom Jorgensen, Kunstformildung Magazine,Denmark
2005 Arty, Interview, Alex Michon
2003 Time Out, Review, Goria, Rebecca Gerald,
2003 Time Out, Review, … Sympathy, Sally O’Reilly,
2003 The Spectator, Review, Sense and Sensibility, Mark Glazebrook,
2003 Phantasmagoria, Annabel Dover, Chapter Publications
1995 Career Girls, Mike Leigh
BA Fine Art Stages 1,2,3,4
MFA Degree Programme Director
- Becker P, Day J, Barham A, Hebson N, Anderson F, Elkin K. Artists Who Write: Strategies. 2017. Newcastle upon Tyne: The Northern Charter, 1 day.
- Leung G, Soobramanien S, Pedraglio F, Becker P, Hebson N, Macpherson S, Wright E. Choreography. 2017. London: Arcade. In Preparation.
- Hebson N, Wright E. Eleanor Wright and Nadia Hebson, ARCOmadrid, Opening Section. 2017. Madrid: IFEMA, Madrid, 10.
- Hebson N, Leaper H. Making Women's Art Matter: New Approaches to the careers and legacies of Women Artists. In: Making Women's Art Matter: New Approaches to the careers and legacies of Women Artists. 2017, The Paul Mellon Centre, Whitechapel Gallery, Dulwich Picture Gallery: n/a.
- Wright E, Hebson N, Watson S, Becker P. TBC. 2017. Antwerp: M HKA, TBC. In Preparation.
- Broeg R, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S, Hebson N, Vanbesien R, Schwab K, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Karstiess M, Jendrieko C, HobbypopMUSEUM The. On going collaborative exhibition programme, Drop City, founded by Hebson, Watson, Becker and Wright, exhibitions and events taking place in Newcastle, Brussels, Dusseldorf and Vienna. 2016. various locations: various venues, N/A.
- Hebson N, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Hobbypopmuseum The, Schwab K, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S. Drop City Centre. 2016. Newcastle upon Tyne: Laing Gallery, 3.
- Hebson N. Invisible/Visible. British Art Studies 2016, (2).
- Hebson N. Vases and a text for Hotel Ufer. 2016. Dusseldorf: Drop City, Hotel Ufer, Dusseldorf, 10.
- Becker P, Hebson N, Watson S, Wright E. So. 2015. Vienna, Austria: Mauve, 4.
- Hebson N. Can you forgive her?. 2015. Newcastle: Drop City, 20.
- Hebson N. Christina Ramberg, 42 Carlton Place, Glasgow, 4-21 April 2014. Journal of Contemporary Painting 2015, 1(2), 5.
- Hebson N. EVERYTHING YOU SEE, THINK AND FEEL IS FRAMED IN ITALICS on the work of Titania Seidl. Foundations Magazine 2015. 13-14.
- Hebson N, Sparks M, Gordon M, Jonas J, Birnbaum D, Kieffer A, Grieg E, Reines A, Kraus C, Vishmidt M, Tillman L, Federici S, Gilligan M, Smith-Cruz S, Soskolne l, Noble K, W. A.G.E. WE (NOT I). 2015. Artists Space, New York: Artists Space, 4 days.
- Hebson N. Winifred Knights. 2015. Available at: http://thehistoryofpaintingrevisited.weebly.com/winifred-knights.html.
- Hebson N. Can You Forgive Her?. 2014. Vienna, Austria: Mauve, 10.
- Hebson N. MODA WK. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: AND Public, 2014.
- Hebson N. Winifred Knights. Persona 2013, (2).
- Stone P, Hebson N, ed. Nadia Hebson Paintings. Sunderland, UK: University of Sunderland, 2009.
- Hebson N. Part 1: September, Part 2: From Flemish Portraiture to Czech Cubism. 2009. Durham / New York: DLI Museum and Gallery / Volta.
- Hebson N. Durham Cathedral Artist in Residence. 2008. Durham, UK: Durham University, Durham Cathedral, University of Sunderland.