Paul completed his PhD in March 2007 and began work at Newcastle University the following year. He has since published on topics such as Ferruccio Busoni (Ferruccio Busoni: A Phenomenological Approach to his Music and Aesthetics), popular music pedagogy and music analysis. Paul is Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures and is Head of Music Theory provision across the ICMuS' classical, contemporary and folk degree programmes. He is also responsible for the Educational Partnership with the Music Foundation Degrees at Newcastle College and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
His research interests include: analysis, phenomenology, music of the fin-de-siècle, popular musics, music pedagogy and recording technologies.
- Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the FdA in Music Production and the FdA in Popular Music for Newcastle College
- Research supervisor for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Validation Panel Member for QAA Access to HE Diploma (Music) for Gateshead College and Middlesborough College (13th May 2014)
- Delegate at Popular Music and Pedagogy Conference sponsored by the Higher Education Academy and IASPM (24th January 2014)
- Lecture on Ferruccio Busoni and Time-Consciousness given to Master's Students at Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (25th March 2013)
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the Foundation Degrees in Music Production and Popular Music at Newcastle College (2011 - present).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of BA (HONS) Music Enterprise course at Newcastle College (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of Foundation Degree in Popular Music Performance and Production at City College Norwich (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the validation of the BA in Creative Practice at City College Norwich (2011).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM) http://www.iaspm.org.uk/about-iaspm/
- Performing Right Society for Music http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx
Word List: Analysis, Aesthetics, Busoni, Phenomenology, Metatonality, Time-Consciousness, Fin-de-siècle, Husserl, Nielsen, Grainger, Reduction, Intentionality, Drum-Kit, Popular, Contemporary, Music-Theory, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Piano, Guitar, Vai, Satriani, Rock, Western-Art-Music, Fusion-Musics
Undergraduate Module Leader and Lecturer