Paul completed his PhD in March 2007 and began work at Newcastle University the following year. He has since published on topics such as Ferruccio Busoni (Ferruccio Busoni: A Phenomenological Approach to his Music and Aesthetics), popular music pedagogy and music analysis. Paul is Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures; Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies across the department's classical, contemporary and folk degree programmes; and is Head of Music Theory provision. He is also responsible for the Educational Partnership with the Music Foundation Degrees at Newcastle College and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
His research interests include: analysis, phenomenology, music of the fin-de-siècle, popular musics, music pedagogy and recording technologies.
- Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures
- Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies for Music
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the FdA in Music Production and the FdA in Popular Music for Newcastle College
- Research supervisor for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Lecturer in Music
- Validation Panel Member for QAA Access to HE Diploma (Music) for Gateshead College and Middlesborough College (13th May 2014)
- Delegate at Popular Music and Pedagogy Conference sponsored by the Higher Education Academy and IASPM (24th January 2014)
- Lecture on Ferruccio Busoni and Time-Consciousness given to Master's Students at Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (25th March 2013)
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the Foundation Degrees in Music Production and Popular Music at Newcastle College (2011 - present).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of BA (HONS) Music Enterprise course at Newcastle College (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of Foundation Degree in Popular Music Performance and Production at City College Norwich (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the validation of the BA in Creative Practice at City College Norwich (2011).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM) http://www.iaspm.org.uk/about-iaspm/
- Performing Right Society for Music http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx
Word List: Analysis, Aesthetics, Busoni, Phenomenology, Metatonality, Time-Consciousness, Fin-de-siècle, Husserl, Nielsen, Grainger, Reduction, Intentionality, Drum-Kit, Popular, Contemporary, Music-Theory, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Piano, Guitar, Vai, Satriani, Rock, Western-Art-Music, Fusion-Musics
Undergraduate Module Leader and Lecturer