Paul completed his PhD in March 2007 under the supervision of Prof. David Clarke. He has since published on topics such as Ferrucio Busoni (Ferruccio Busoni: A Phenomenological Approach to his Music and Aesthetics), popular music pedagogy and music analysis. Paul is Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures; Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies across the department's separate classical, contemporary and folk degree programmes; and is Head of Music Skills provision. He is also the Chair of Board of Examiners for Popular Music and Music Production FdAs delivered at Newcastle College.
His research interests include: analysis, phenomenology, music of the fin-de-siècle, popular musics, music pedagogy and recording technologies.
- Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures
- Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies for Music
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the FdA in Music Production and the FdA in Popular Music for Newcastle College
- Research supervisor for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Lecturer in Music
- Validation Panel Member for QAA Access to HE Diploma (Music) for Gateshead College and Middlesborough College (13th May 2014)
- Delegate at Popular Music and Pedagogy Conference sponsored by the Higher Education Academy and IASPM (24th January 2014)
- Lecture on Ferruccio Busoni and Time-Consciousness given to Master's Students at Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (25th March 2013)
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the Foundation Degrees in Music Production and Popular Music at Newcastle College (2011 - present).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of BA (HONS) Music Enterprise course at Newcastle College (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of Foundation Degree in Popular Music Performance and Production at City College Norwich (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the validation of the BA in Creative Practice at City College Norwich (2011).
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM) http://www.iaspm.org.uk/about-iaspm/
- Performing Right Society for Music http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx
Word List: Analysis, Aesthetics, Busoni, Phenomenology, Metatonality, Time-Consciousness, Fin-de-siècle, Husserl, Nielsen, Grainger, Reduction, Intentionality, Drum-Kit, Popular, Contemporary, Music-Theory, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Piano, Guitar, Vai, Satriani, Rock, Western-Art-Music, Fusion-Musics
Module Leader and Lecturer