Paul has blended vocational experience and academic practice since leaving school, when he began working weekends in a local recording studio alongside studying at College. Recognizing a gap in the market, aged 19, he set up his own business as a travelling private music teacher and scaled its provision throughout his undergraduate and postgraduate studies. In March 2007 he completed his PhD and began work at Newcastle University the following year. He has taught, published and has research interests in analysis, theory, teaching and learning strategies, curriculum design, enterprise, and cross-disciplinary collaboration.
Paul is currently Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures and has undertaken roles as a Degree Programme Director and a Chair of Board of Studies. He is also Chair of Board of Examiners for the educational partnership with the Music Foundation Degrees at Newcastle College, and is a Fellow of both the Higher Education Academy and the Royal Society of Arts.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching for the School of Arts and Cultures
- Chair of PEC for Music and SACS
- Senior Tutor for Music
- External Examiner for Edinburgh Napier University
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the FdA in Music Production and the FdA in Popular Music for Newcastle College
- Research supervisor for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
Most Recent External Activities
- Delegate at Westminster Higher Education Forum on Innovative Approaches to curriculum design and delivery in Higher Education (27th November 2014)
- Validation Panel Member for QAA Access to HE Diploma (Music) for Gateshead College and Middlesborough College (13th May 2014)
- Delegate at Popular Music and Pedagogy Conference sponsored by the Higher Education Academy and IASPM (24th January 2014)
- Lecture on Ferruccio Busoni and Time-Consciousness given to Master's Students at Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (25th March 2013)
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the Foundation Degrees in Music Production and Popular Music at Newcastle College (2011 - present).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of BA (HONS) Music Enterprise course at Newcastle College (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of Foundation Degree in Popular Music Performance and Production at City College Norwich (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the validation of the BA in Creative Practice at City College Norwich (2011).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM)
- Performing Right Society for Music
Word List: Analysis, Aesthetics, Busoni, Phenomenology, Metatonality, Time-Consciousness, Fin-de-siècle, Husserl, Nielsen, Grainger, Reduction, Intentionality, Drum-Kit, Popular, Contemporary, Music-Theory, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Piano, Guitar, Vai, Satriani, Rock, Western-Art-Music, Fusion-Musics
Undergraduate Module Leader and Lecturer