Paul completed his PhD in March 2007 under the supervision of Prof. David Clarke. He has since published a monograph titled Ferruccio Busoni: A Phenomenological Approach to his Music and Aesthetics (Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009): ISBN 978-3-8383-2390-9 (Available through Amazon). Paul is Lecturer in Music and Degree Programme Director for the BA in Contemporary and Popular Music at Newcastle University, where he is also the Head of Music Skills provision across the department's four degree programmes and is Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies. His research interests include metatonal musics, fusion musics, progressive rock guitar techniques, embodied learning strategies, and phenomenology.
- Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies
- Lecturer in Music
- Degree Programme Director BA in Contemporary and Popular Music
- University Programme Coordinator for the FdA in Music Production and the FdA in Popular Music for Newcastle College
- Research supervisor for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Delegate at Popular Music and Pedagogy Conference sponsored by the Higher Education Academy and IASPM (24th January 2014)
- Lecture on Ferruccio Busoni and Time-Consciousness given to Master's Students at Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (25th March 2013)
- Chair of Board of Examiners for the Foundation Degrees in Music Production and Popular Music at Newcastle College (2011 - present).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of BA (HONS) Music Enterprise course at Newcastle College (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the revalidation of Foundation Degree in Popular Music Performance and Production at City College Norwich (2011).
- External Academic Representative for the validation of the BA in Creative Practice at City College Norwich (2011).
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM) http://www.iaspm.org.uk/about-iaspm/
- Performing Right Society for Music http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx
Word List: Analysis, Aesthetics, Busoni, Phenomenology, Metatonality, Time-Consciousness, Fin-de-siècle, Husserl, Nielsen, Grainger, Reduction, Intentionality, Drum-Kit, Popular, Contemporary, Music-Theory, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Sartre, Piano, Guitar, Vai, Satriani, Rock, Western-Art-Music, Fusion-Musics
Module Leader and Lecturer
MUS_AURAL: Music Skills (Aural Training)
MUS1020: Music Skills (Common Practice)
MUS1023: Contemporary Musical Materials
MUS1030: Music Skills (Vernacular)
MUS1050: Music Skills (Folk and Traditional)
MUS2044: Practising Music Analysis
MUS3013: Major Specialist Study Dissertation
MUS3015: Major Specialist Study Project
MUS3017: Minor Specialist Study Dissertation
MUS3019: Minor Specialist Study Project
Supervisor for Rob Herald on MMus Programme