Lecturer in Fine Art
My work exists in the interactions, opacities and crossovers between literature/fiction, film, painting (in its widest sense) and collaboration. Most recently a great deal of my work has been concerned, often obliquely with a kind of Ekphrasis i.e. artworks that describe or contain artworks.
In an ongoing work, The Kink in the Arc, begun earlier this year at M_HKA, Antwerp, many of these ways of working and thinking come together via the idea of the novel as a generous, limitless, reflexive space. The novel is essentially collaborative/collective in that it utilises the descriptions of artworks by artists, writers, makers, curators etc. across all disciplines. These real descriptions are then sited within the context of the novel to form its fictional environment.
I am deeply engaged with writing as an art practice and the unfettered movement it can allow between and beyond disciplines and individual practices. Teaching is an integral part of my practice and an important part of what I see as my 'role' as an educator is to facilitate students in feeling that artworks do not always need to function in terms of understanding, and need not serve to generate cogent meaning. The work can contain, disseminate, propagate and generate opacity, mystery, speculation, criticality, unfamiliarity and failure, alongside curiosity, in the maker as well as the viewer.
Born 1967, Windsor UK.
Grimsby School of Art (1984-86)
Kingston Polytechnic (1986-89)
Slade School of Fine Art (1997-99)
Lecturer in Fine Art, Teesside University School of Arts & Media
Written Dancing: Paintings at BASIC MOUNTAIN Edinburgh2015
Paul Becker: New Paintings Drop City, Newcastle2013
Le Salon, Brussels. Curated by FormContent2008
Noble Prince Of The Royal Mysteries. Vane, Newcastle2005
Fontanelle. Transition, London
2016 Written Dancing, BASIC MOUNTAIN, Edinburgh
2015 Paul Becker: New Paintings, Drop City, Newcastle
2017 M_HKA, Antwerp, Belgium
2015 Hospitalfield Summer Residency, Arbroath Scotland
2014 & 2010 AIR Antwerpen Artists in Residence. Antwerp
2013 Writer in Residence, Experimentica Live Arts Festival, Chapter Gallery, Cardiff
2011 Henry Moore Institute Research Fellowship
PEN Writers Residency, Antwerp
2017 Choreography, ARCADE, London
Choreography/Coreografia published by Juan de la Cosa, Mexico
2016 The Mean of Men, Resonance FM, live radio broadcast (with Adam Phillips)
2015 Continuous Material curated by Ellie Wright & Sam Watson, Drop City Newcastle
The Decorator & the Thief Curated by George Vasey NGCA, Sunderland
2014 Continue Without Losing Consciousness, Curated by Tony Swain, Rob Churm & Raydale Dower. DCA Dundee
AIR Traces: Austruweel, Antwerp. Curated by Alan Quiryens.
Cadavere Quotidiano: (Co-editor with Francesco Pedraglio & Alex Cecchetti) A collection of artist's writings featuring: Tim Etchells, Ed Atkins, Katrina Palmer, Joanne Tatham, Fiona Jardine, Luke Williams, Melissa Gordon, Becky Beasley etc. Published by X-TRA, Los Angeles
My Life by Anton Lesseman, Henry Moore Institute, Essays on Sculpture No. 68. Edited by Lisa Le Feuvre
It's Moving From I to It. Published by FormContent, London
TARR: Fiction by Artists, Baltic, Newcastle. (with Simon Bill, Faye Green, Jennifer Higgie, Tom Morton & Audrey Reynolds)
Corridor Plateau, The Northern Charter, Newcastle & Autocentre, Berlin, curated by Markus Karstiess
The Nabokov Paper. Published by Information as Material. Edited by Kate Briggs & Lucrezia Russo.
2013 Flash 500, published by Akerman Daly, London
Henry Moore Institute Lecture, Association of Art Historians, Leeds
Seigneur, accorde a l'esprit un credit a la production. CIRCUIT, Lausanne, curated by Axelle Stiefel
The Walser Cycle (with Tess Denman-Cleaver & Nadia Hebson) Baltic 39, Newcastle
In Conversation with Becky Beasley, Spring Rain, Leeds City Art Gallery
Floor/Ceiling/Window/Wall Space Release#12, CIRCA Projects, Newcastle upon Tyne
Frank! Francesco Pedraglio, Rowing Projects, London
2012 Le Salon, Brussels, curated by FormContent.
Slide Talk with Tess Denman-Cleaver, Tom Whittle & Arnaud Moinet, The Northern Charter, Newcastle
He Complained That Nothing Interested Him Anymore and She Said Perhaps We Could Try Reacting To Silence in a More Interesting Way, (curated by Johannes Maier) Tete, Berlin
Sincerely, how am I talking? (with FormContent) Hollybush Gardens, London
2017 Choreography, ARCADE London (with Daniela Cascella, Chris Fite-Wassilak, Nadia Hebson, Jennifer Hodgson, Ghislaine Leung, Sophie Macpherson, Francesco Pedraglio, Natasha Soobramanien, Sam Watson & Eleanor Wright
2012 Apropos The Kissing of a Hand, Newcastle (with Becky Beasley, Catrin Huber, Sophie Macpherson, Jeremy Millar, Roman Signer, Billy Childish etc.)
Festival Robert Walser (with Catrin Huber, Tess Denman-Cleaver, Gabi Heller, Claire Webster-Saaremets) Various venues in Newcastle upon Tyne
LA DEBACLE. 2014. 13mins. Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Francesco Pedraglio
Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Johannes Maier
Co-ordinator Stage 1 Studio Practice
Lecturer, Master of Fine Art
PhD Supervisor for Cecilia Stenbom
- Becker P, Watson S, Wright E. 'So'. 2015. Vienna, Austria: Mauve Gallery, 5.
- Becker P. New Paintings. 2015. South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Drop City, 10.
- Bainbridge Eric, Becker Paul, Fowler Tilly, Fusco Maria, Hebson Nadia, Michael Sophie, Wilson Joshua. On The Cognition of Drones. In: Watson,Sam;Wright,Eleanor, ed. Soft Start. London & Newcastle: AND Public, 2015, pp.84.
- Becker P. The Decorator & the Thief. 2015. Sunderland: Northern Gallery of Contemporary Art, 1. Submitted.
- Becker P, Karstiess M. In Armature. In: Futuristic Mist. Middlesbrough: MIMA, 2015, pp.60.
- Becker P. The Life of Anton Lesseman. An exploration and fabrication of an imaginary artist and the role of fiction in art making. The project involved production of original art works, artist’s archive (photography, unpublished autobiography, letters etc.) culminating in a publication by the HMI in Leeds. Leeds: The Henry Moore Institute, 2013.
- Becker Paul. Leon Spilliaert. Turps Banana 2011, (11).
- Becker Paul. Sympathetic Magic: On Keith Vaughan. Turps Banana 2009, (7).
- Becker P. Floor/Ceiling/Window/Wall. 2013. Newcastle upon Tyne: Stephenson Works, 1 hour.
- Becker P. Scene 4: Dead Bee, Stung. London: FormContent, 2012. Available at: http://formcontent.org/its-moving/scene-4-dead-bee-stung/.
- Becker P. Scene 9: The Cat, Carpeted. London: FormContent, 2012. Available at: http://formcontent.org/its-moving/scene-9-cat-carpeted/.
- Becker P. If It Does Not Exist You Will Have To Invent It: Imaginary Artists and the Remediation of History. In: Repositioning Memory: Between the Archive and the Rubbish Heap. 2011, Exeter University.
- Becker Paul. Imaginary Artists. In: Future Curators. 2012, Leeds City Art Gallery.
- Becker P, ed. The Object Lessons. Milan: Mousse, 2012.
- Becker Paul. Essay. In: Eve Ropek, ed. Miranda Whall: IS IT OK IF?. Aberystwyth, Wales: Aberystwyth Arts Centre & School of Art Press, 2010, pp.48.
- Becker Paul. ISTHISWHATBEINGAFELTFANFEELSLIKE?. FOXTROTECHOLIMATANGO 2010, (1), 160.
- Bainbridge E, Becker P, Brög R, Konopek A, Pelkki S, Wilson J. Continuous Material. 2015. Durham, UK: Durham Castle, 1.
- Becker P, Pedraglio F. A Bad Hand, Folding: A Live Rehearsal. 2014. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Culture Lab, 1 day.
- Becker P, Day J, Barham A, Hebson N, Anderson F, Elkin K. Artists Who Write: Strategies. 2017. Newcastle upon Tyne: The Northern Charter, 1 day.
- Becker P, Olabarrieta B. Book! Don't Tell Me What To Do!. 2017.
- Becker P, Fabre LP. Choreography. 2017. Mexico City: Fundacion Jumex, 1 day.
- Becker P. Choreography/Coreografia. Mexico City, Mexico: Juan de la Cosa, 2017.
- Becker P. Written Dancing: Paintings. 2016. 1A Hill Street Edinburgh: Basic Mountain, 15.
- Broeg R, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S, Hebson N, Vanbesien R, Schwab K, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Karstiess M, Jendrieko C, HobbypopMUSEUM The. On going collaborative exhibition programme, Drop City, founded by Hebson, Watson, Becker and Wright, exhibitions and events taking place in Newcastle, Brussels, Dusseldorf and Vienna. 2016. various locations: various venues, N/A.
- Hebson N, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Hobbypopmuseum The, Schwab K, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S. Drop City Centre. 2016. Newcastle upon Tyne: Laing Gallery, 3.
- Becker P, Phillips AA. The Mean of Men. Sunderland: Foundation Press, 2016.
- Becker P, Phillips A. The Mean of Men. 2016. London: Resonance FM, 29 mins.
- Becker P, Hebson N, Watson S, Wright E. So. 2015. Vienna, Austria: Mauve, 4.
- Becker P, Pedraglio F. The Duels. Field Broadcast, 2014. Digital Video. Submitted.
- Aylett S, Becker P, Domke G, Jardine F. Vexed Muster. In: Domke,G, ed. Continue Without Losing Consciousness. Dundee, Scotland: Dundee Contemporary Arts, 2014, pp.80.
- Becker P, Hebson N, Pedraglio P, Watson S, Wright E. CHOREOGRAPHY. 2017. 87 LEVER STREET, LONDON EC2: ARCADE GALLERY, LONDON, 5.
- Becker P, Phillips A. The Mean of Men. 2017. CIRCA Projects, 80.
- Becker P, Phillips A. The Mean of Men. 2017. London: Resonance FM, 29mins.
- Becker P, Bailey G, Barham A, Brownrigg J, Christian T, DenmanCleaver T, Elkin K, FiteWassilak C, Hebson N, Hendry K, Larkin F, Maier J, Macpherson S, McCreadie A, McCreadie L, McStravick C, Pedraglio F, Perez-Cordova T, Phillips A, Power C, Reynolds A, ScottFullerton C, Soobramanien N, Stiefel A, Vanbesien R, Williams L. The Kink in the Arc. 2017. Antwerp, Belgium: M_HKA, 50+. In Press.