As one of the leading centres of transport technology in Europe, the Transport Operations Research Group (TORG) have been central to key research in areas such as road user charging and smartcards. We have developed both policy ideas and underlying technologies.
We're running a world-leading trial in electric vehicles and public charging infrastructure in the North East of England. The trial is informing policy, international standards development, and the impact on energy demand and environmental emissions.
We've also developed Motes, a low-cost wireless sensing technology. Several local authorities have deployed it commercially, to monitor traffic pollution and help develop strategies to manage the traffic demand and reduce emissions. This world-leading technology is being assessed for deployment in a number of high profile international cities.
Our research is carried out under three themes: technology, environment, and behaviour.
Short Courses in Transport
Professional development courses offered by the Transport Group are delivered by University academics and industry experts, and supported by relevant institutions and associations.
- Air Pollution
- Air Quality and Health
- Asphalt Materials and Pavements
- Behavioural Models for Individual Choices
- Collision Prevention and Reduction
- Design of Transport Infrastructure
- Economic and Environmental Appraisal of Transport Activities
- Electromobility and Low Carbon Vehicles
- Intelligent Transport Systems
- Intelligent Transport Systems: Technologies, Systems and Implementation
- Modelling and Simulation of Transport Networks
- Railway Economics
- Railway Management
- Railway Planning
- Road Safety Audits
- Road Safety Policy
- Traffic and Environment Management for Sustainability
- Traffic Flow and Control
- Transport Modelling and Forecasting
- Transport Planning and Sustainable Mobility
- Transport Policy and Legislation
An option for formal assessment and Master credits may be available for some courses.
Many of the courses are modules on aught Masters programmes in Transport, which may be taken as either full time or part time.
You may also be interested in ...
Transport professionals may also be interested in the short courses offered in Geomatics.
- Geographic Information Systems
- Geodesy and Surveying
Courses in Geomatics can be delivered at a client's premises. Please contact the Professional Development Unit for details.