Strength from equality, multiculturalism, representation and support.
The priorities for the Faculty Diversity Steering Group include:
- embedding equality and diversity in all activities
- encouraging an increase in female staff and student applications
- outreach activities
- training and development
We enforce appropriate diversity of staff on shortlisting and interview panels.
We are one of only 9 Universities in the UK to hold an Athena SWAN Silver award. It demonstrates the impact of our activties.
Within the faculty we have achieved eight Athena SWAN Bronze awards.
The University has a number of staff network groups.
These are run by staff, for staff. They are forums for employees who share an identity or who have an interest in matters relating to that identity.
The groups provide a space for to get together to influence our policies and procedures. They help bring about improvements to the workplace.
Currently the networks are:
- Carer's Network
- Disabled Employees' Network
- NU Women
- 17 May 2017 - International Day Against Homophobia
- Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) are running a lunchtime webinar: improving the experiences of trans staff and student
- 17 May 2017 - Athena SWAN Open Presentation
Professor John Derrick and Dr Heidi Christensen from the University of Sheffield will be giving an open presentation on applying for and achieving a silver Athena SWAN award.
- 23 June 2017 is International Women in Engineering Day