Facilities Under Construction
We are already building our next generation of laboratories. The emphasis is on creating full scale, cross-sectoral systems demonstrations.
- Grid-Connected Anaerobic Digestion - harvesting methane from organic waste
- second generation energy storage test bed - expanding our current system
- Urban SUDS - a city-centre Sustainable Urban Drainage System
- Urban Sciences Building - scaling-up from The Key, USB is our next generation of setting up buildings as laboratories themselves
There are too many facilities to list here but some highlights are:
- NEXUS - EPSRC National Facility for X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy
- Smart Grid Lab - unique facilities that enable investigation of future energy systems
- The Key - a revolutionary 'building as a lab'
- Urban Observatory - the largest set of publicly available real time urban data in the UK
- Stu Brew - Europe's first student-run micro-brewery used to research and improve sustainable brewing practice
Great North Museum Specialist Collections
Our campus hosts the Great North Museum: Hancock where several of the University's collections are held including:
- Palaeontology and Geology
There is also a library in the museum that includes the archives of the Natural History Society of Northumbria, and the University's Cowen Library.