Science and Engineering Excellence
Building on our history, shaping our future.
Our Faculty has a long and proud history. The Science and Engineering Excellence project is about how we build on our recent succeses and shape the next generation of our Faculty.
The success we are building on includes:
- Over the last year ten years, the Digital Institute has had played a major role in bringing more than £50m in external research income to the University
- In March 2016 the government announced that it will invest £15m in the National Innovation Centre for Data in Newcastle. These funds will be matched by the University to create a £30m investment which will be placed on our £350m Science Central site.
- Strong RAE2008 and REF2014 performance, particularly in Computer Science and Informatics, Civil and Construction Engineering and Electrical and Electronic Engineering
We are in a strong position from which we wish to nurture and deliver the next generation of world class research and teaching.
£59m has already been committed to construction of our Urban Sciences Building. This is scheduled for completion in summer 2017. The building will be a hub for international research into digitally-enabled urban sustainability including our well-established urban observatory and our next generation of Smart Grid technology. The building will also be home to our undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Computing Science.
Science and Engineering Excellence aims to assure the future of:
- word-class facilities for world class academic work
- multidisciplinary and specialist degree programmes alongside research of international significance
- infrastructure to support our ambitions now and long in to the future
- professional support that enables world class research and teaching
- innovative curriculum attracting students from around the world