Dr Alison Vipond
Research Funding Facilitator
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 4882
- Address: Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
Research Development Team for Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
Point of contact for School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, although the whole team works flexibly to respond to research development opportunities across the Faculty, including joining up across the Schools and Faculties.
- Support all stages of the pre-award research development journey
- Assist in development and implementation of school, faculty and university research strategy
- Support internationalisation of research activities, with a focus on applying research to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, and applying research to the developing country context
- Strategic support for large/complex/interdisciplinary research bids
- Strategic support to Institute for Sustainability: strategy, research coordination and engagement
Main activities within Research Development Team:
- Building individual and institutional capacity to develop relevant collaborations and partnerships to secure funding, as well as skills in preparing successful proposals
- Support for proposal development, including lay review (editorial and critical input to content), fit to call, identifying collaborators/users, shaping and supporting large, complex and strategic proposals
- Funding guidance, co-ordinating the gathering and dissemination of funding opportunities to academics. Advice on developing researchers' personal funding strategy. Gathering and disseminating advice on funder strategies and priorities, including how these align with Faculty research strengths and planning ahead to be positioned for funding calls.
- Working closely with Business Development Managers and Research & Impact Facilitators, identifying and enchancing opportunities for business development, knowledge exchange and impact.
- Supporting Directors of Expertise to identify and develop strategic opportunities for research
Other relevant experience:
- PhD and post-doctoral research in Atmospheric Chemistry,
- Policy Adviser and Programme Manager at Defra - Government, EU and UN policy advice, strategic research programme development and management, £3.5m per annum
- Delegate to EC and UN Committees and Task Forces - research evidence to underpin international development
- Deputy Chair of Board of Directors of Ethical Building Society - governance, sustainable finance, regulation, risk management, PR, marketing, mutual ownership, housing, social accounts, impact
- Chair of Trustees of Charitable Foundation - charitable grant making, community engagement
- Green building and domestic renewables - personal interest and first hand experience
Relevant personal interests:
- Climate change science, policy, implementation, real life adaptation
- Energy efficiency, and decarbonising our energy supply
- Permaculture – learning principles from nature and applying to design
- Reforming the banking system to support the real economy (people and planet)
- Empowering community-led approaches to sustainability
- Canosa-mas CE, Flugge ML, Shah D, Vipond A, Wayne RP. Kinetics of the reactions of IO with HO2 and O(3P). J Atmos Chem 1999, 34, 153 - 162.
- Vipond A, Canosa-Mas CE, Flugge ML, Gray DL, Shallcross DE, Shah D, Wayne RP. A discharge-flow study of the self-reaction of IO. Phys Chem Chem Phys 2002, 4, 3648-3658.
- Vipond A, Canosa-Mas CE, Hendy NJ, Scott MJ, Shah D, Wayne RP. Discharge-flow studies of the kinetics of reactions of CH3O with Cl, Br, I, ClO, BrO and IO using laser induced fluorescence and resonance fluorescence detection. Phys Chem Chem Phys 2001, 3, 4932-4938.
- Vipond A, Canosa-Mas CE, Wayne RP. Kinetics of the reactions of CF3O2 radicals with Cl and I atoms. Phys Chem, Chem Phys 1999, 1, 761-766.
- Vipond A, Bigg P, Canosa-Mas CE, Shallcross DE, Wayne RP. Kinetics of the reaction of CF3O2 radicals with O(3P) atoms. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 1997, 93, 2477-2480.
- Vipond A, Biggs PB, Canosa-Mas CE, Shallcross D, Wayne RP. Kinetics of the reactions of CF3O2 radicals with OH, HO2 and H. J Chem Soc Faraday Transactions 1997, 93, 2701-2705.
- Shallcross DE, Biggs P, Canosa-Mas CE, Clemitshaw K, Harrison MG, Lopez-Alanon MR, Pyle JA, Vipond A, Wayne RP. Rate constants for the reaction of OH and CH3ONO2 and C2H5ONO2 over a range of pressure and temperature. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 1997, 93, 2807-2811.
- Vipond A, NEGTAP A. Report by the National Expert Group on Transboundary Air Pollution: "Transboundary Air Pollution: Acidification, Eutrophication and Ground-level ozone in the UK". Defra, 2001.