Science Communications & Marketing Mgr
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7861
I work closely with the Institute’s Communications Team, Research Coordinators and Directorate to ensure that we are communicating the activities and outcomes of sustainability research at Newcastle University in the most effective ways possible. This includes communicating and sharing important, relevant findings with the Institute’s Partnership Committee and with other policy makers, expert practitioners and international academics to help create research impacts.
I provide communications support to numerous research projects affiliated with the Institute for Sustainability including Newcastle University's demonstration projects in sustainability such as Science Central, Nafferton Farm and Cockle Park Farm. While science and engineering are at the core of the Institute’s mission in the world, it includes vital work from the social sciences. I have a special interest in the relationship between multiple disciplines in communicating a deeper understanding of science in society, and the interface between research and policy.
My academic and professional careers have revolved around philosophy, the physical sciences, media studies, science and technology studies and journalism. I have worked as a writer and researcher in environmental and science journalism, and as an investigative reporter, in the US, Canada and the UK.
- Densmore Alexander, Cherry Brett. After the shaking: the secondary hazards of earthquakes. Geography Review 2014, 27, 10-13.
- Cherry Brett. Living the Global Social Experiment of Geoengineering: A Challenge for Global Governance. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013. Available at: http://www.globalpolicyjournal.com/blog/02/07/2013/living-global-social-experiment-geoengineering-challenge-global-governance.
- Cherry Brett. In Search of Tipping Points. Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience, Durham University, 2012. Available at: http://issuu.com/_ihrr/docs/ihrrmaghighres/10.
- Cherry Brett. Satellites to bring speedy Internet to developing world. Science and Development Network, 2008. Available at: http://www.scidev.net/global/digital-divide/news/satellites-to-bring-speedy-internet-to-developing-.html.
- Cherry Brett. 'Variety best' in malaria treatment. Science and Development Network, 2008. Available at: http://www.scidev.net/global/health/news/-variety-best-in-malaria-treatment.html.
- Cherry Brett. No Trespassing: Saginaw's New Toxic River Dredge Facility Frames The Most Important Michigan Environmental Battle in Decades. Saginaw, Michigan USA: The Saginaw Review, 2007. Available at: http://review-mag.com/article/no-trespassing-saginaw-039-s-new-toxic-river-dredge-facility-frames-the-most-important-michigan-environmental-battle-in-decades.
- Cherry Brett. Progress and Pitfalls: The Saginaw Valley Dredge Project Continues. The Saginaw Review, 2007. Available at: http://review-mag.com/article/Progress-and-Pitfalls-The-Saginaw-Valley-Dredge-Project-Continues-by-Brett-Cherry.
- Cherry B. Risk Society in the Middle Ages. Hazard Risk Resilience 2014.
- Cherry Brett. Securitising Sport Mega Events. Hazard Risk Resilience 2014. In Preparation.
- Cherry B. Solid yet unstable: Rock falls in the UK. Hazard Risk Resilience 2014.
- Ho Mae-Wan, Cherry Brett. Glyphosate Tolerant Crops Bring Disease and Death. Science in Society Magazine 2010.
- Cherry Brett. Quantum Well Solar Cells. Science in Society Magazine 2009.
- Cherry Brett. Third Generation Solar Cells. Science in Society Magazine 2009. In Preparation.
- Cherry Brett. Very High Efficiency Solar Cells. Science in Society Magazine 2009. In Preparation.
- Wilkinson N, Cherry B. Death in the Restraint Chair. 2004. Available at: http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/death-in-the-restraint-chair/Story?oid=139208.
- Taylor P, Cherry B. Energy storage is not a panacea. Energy World 2016, 26-27.