Dr Cheng Chin
Director of Innovation and Associate Professor in Intelligent System Design and Simulation
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 65 6908 6013
- Personal Website: http://www.cschin.com/
- Address: SIT@NP Building
537 Clementi Road #06-01
Brief Biography (click here to download)
Dr. Cheng Siong CHIN leads numerous research projects with ST-Electronics (large-scale systems group), Seagate, Soil Machine Dynamics (SMD), SembCorp Marine, and Temasek Polytechnic with Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) at Newcastle University in Singapore campus. He is currently an Associate Professor at Newcastle University. Before joining Newcastle University, he was a Lecturer in Mechatronics Engineering at Temasek Polytechnic. He worked in consumer electronics industry for few years before moving into academia. He currently holds 3 U.S. Patents, 2 provisional US patent applications, 1 Singapore Provisional Patent and 2 Trade Secrets in the area of electronics test systems. Since 2013, he obtained 2 research grants from SMI and 2 EDB-Industrial Postgraduate Programme (IPP), 1 Global Excellence Fund and 1 Industrial Research Fund from ST Electronics funded by Defence Innovative Research Programme in the areas of intelligent systems design, simulation, and noise prediction. He managed to secure approximately S$1.9M project values for his research since he joined Newcastle University in May 2010. He has published nearly 80 journal papers, book chapters, book and conference papers. His quality of research-informed teachings was demonstrated by few UG student scholarships from RINA, Keppel Award, IMarEST, BAE Systems and MTS ROV Committee Scholarship. Dr. Chin is the Fellow of the Higher-Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow of IMarEST (FIMarEST), Senior Member of IEEE (SMIEEE), Chartered Engineer, European Engineer and a member of IET. He is an active reviewer for IEEE Transactions/Journals, elected Committee Member for IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society in Singapore Section, Lead Guest Editor for Journal of Advanced Transportation on Special Issue on Intelligent Autonomous Transport Systems Design and Simulation. He involves in IEEE Technical Committee Member on Biomechatronics and Bio-robotics Systems, Session Chair for MTS/IEEE OCEAN, Chairman and Technical Review Committee for various IEEE/International Conferences . He served as an External Reviewer for The Singapore Ministry of Education Translational R&D and Innovation Fund funds R&D projects and authored a book entitled Computer-aided Control Systems Design published by CRC Press, the USA in 2012.
- NTU-Ph.D in Applied Control of ROV, Research Robotic Centre
- Uni. of Manchester (UMIST)-M.Sc (Distinction) in Advanced Control and Systems Engineering (EEE), Control Systems Centre
- NTU-B. Eng (Hons) in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (specialisation in Mechatronics Engineering)
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic-Diploma (Merit) in Mechanical Engineering
- Fellow of the Higher-Education Academy(FHEA) since 2013
- FIMarEST since 2012
- SMIEEE since 2009
- MIET, CEng, EUR ING
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Innovation for Singapore Campus
- Intelligent systems design and simulation of complex systems in uncertain environment (underwater robotics vehicle, energy system and contactless sensing system)-UN160266
- Noise prediction on small to large-scale systems-UN160267
- 2010: International Advisory Board Member of 2010 BIT's Marine Tech in Dalian, China.
- 2010-2012: Elected member of The IET Control and Automation Executive Committee
- 2010-2011: Elected as an Honorary Auditor for The IET Singapore Local Network.
- 2011: Invited speaker on Design and Modelling of an Active Solar Tracker System in EPS Montreal International Forum on Economy and Trade 2011, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- 2012-2013: Committee Member for IET Singapore Local Network.
- 2012: Committee member of International Conference on Hydrology & Ground Water Expo, Hilton San Antonio Airport, USA.
- 2012: Book Author of Computer-aided Control Systems Design: Practical Applications using MATLAB and Simulink” by CRC Press, USA.
- 2012 to present: The paper "Model-Based Simulation of an Intelligent Microprocessor- Based Standalone Solar Tracking System" published with InTech in the book on MATLAB. Top downloads reaching 12,000 from the following five countries: India, USA, China, Algeria and Germany.
- 2013: Technical programme committee member of IET Control and Automation Conference, Conference Aston Lakeside Centre, Birmingham.
- 2013: Presented a topic- “Research Interests, Projects and Opportunities in Singapore” in NIReS (Newcastle Institute for Research on Sustainability).
- 2013: Committee member in SIGDSS Workshop "Reshaping Society through Analytics, Collaboration, and Decision Support" in Milan, Italy.
- 2013: Technical committee member in 3rd ScienceOne International Conference on Environmental Sciences
- 2013: Organizing Committee member of 124th OMICS Group International Conference on Oceanography
- 2013: Working group member in IEEE Next Generation Service Overlay Network – P1903 NGSON IEEE
- 2013-present: IMarEST's Biofouling Management Expert Group
- 2014: Panel member for Senior Member of IEEE Application Review Panel in Region 10.
- 2014: Session Co-Chair for Session 7.1.2: Underwater Image and Vision in OCEANS’14 MTS/IEEE Conference, Taipei
- 2014: Session Chair for Session EM3 (Biomedical Instrumentation) in IEEE TENSYMP, Kuala Lumpur,
- 2014: Session Chair for MoP3: (Mechatronics) in 9th IEEE Industrial Electronics and Applications, Hangzhou, June 2014.
- 2014: Program committee for Pre-ICIS SIGDSA Workshop on "Building a better World through Analytics and Collaboration" on December 14, 2014 in Auckland, New Zealand
- 2014 to present: IEEE Mentor
- 2014 to present: IET Volunteer Committee and IET Control & Automation Committee
- Sept 2014: Peer Reviewer for Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Standard Grant and New Investigator Scheme
- Oct 2014: Invited as a selected keynote speaker for 3rd China & Singapore International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering (ICPOE2014), China.
- 2014:Technical Reviewer for 10th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA 2015)
- 2015:Track Chair in Mechatronics for 10th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA 2015)
- 2016: Technical Session Chair in 7.1.3. Imaging and Vision 3 for OCEAN'16 MTS/IEEE Conference, Shanghai
- 2016: Member of IEEE P2660.1 Working Group: Recommendation Practices on Industrial Agents: Integration of Software Agents and Low Level Automation Functions by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Standards Committee
- 2016: Invited Technical Reviewer for IEEE TENCON 2016, Singapore
- 2016: Invited Technical Reviewer for IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 2017, Singapore
- 2017: Elected Committee Member, IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, IEEE Singapore Section.
- 2017: Lead Guest Editor for Journal of Advanced Transportation on Special Issue on Intelligent Autonomous Transport Systems Design and Simulation
- 2017: Invited Technical committee of International Conference on Geological and Environmental Sciences (ICGES) 2017
- 2017: Invited Reviewer for OCEANS17 MTS/IEEE Aberdeen Student Poster Competition, UK.
- 2017: Invited Speaker and Technical Reviewer for 7th International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Networks (CECNet 2017)
- 2017: Invited and participated in IEEE Senior Member Application Review Panel for Region10.
- 2017: Invited Reviewer for OCEANS17 MTS/IEEE Anchorage Student Poster Competition, U.S. state of Alaska.
- 2017: Invited Technical Review Committee for IEEE International Conference on Power, Energy control and Transmission Systems.
- 2017: Invited Technical Review Committee for International Conference on Computational Sciences, Advanced Database and Computing
- 2017: IEEE Technical Committee Member on Bio-mechatronics and Bio-robotics Systems
- 2017: Invited External Reviewer for The Singapore Ministry of Education Translational R&D and Innovation Fund (TIF) funds R&D projects
- 2017: Invited Technical Program Committee for 5th International Conference on Mapping and Remote Sensing (ICMRS 2017)
- 2017: Invited Organizing Committee Member for World Conference on Robotics & Artificial Intelligence on July 26-27, 2018 at Barcelona, Spain
- 2017: Chairman for 5th International Conference on Mapping and Remote Sensing (ICMRS 2017)
- 2017: Invited Keynote Plenary Speaker on "Intelligent Realization of Underwater Robotics Vehicle for Control" in World Conference on Robotics & Artificial Intelligence on July 26-27, 2018 at Barcelona
- 2017:Invited International Advisory Committee Member for IEEE International Conference on Power, Energy, Control and Transmission Systems
- 10 Nov 2017: Invited Academic Talk on "Simulation and Design of Lithium-Ion Battery Power System for Underwater Applications" at Tropical Marine Science Institute, National University of Singapore by IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, Singapore Chapter.
- 2017: Elected Treasurer, IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, IEEE Singapore Section.
- 2017: Tutorial Chair for IEEE/MTS OCEAN 2020, Singapore
- 2017: Invited Technical Program Committee Member for 4th Annual International Workshop on Materials Science and Engineering, 2018.
- 2017: Invited Technical Program Committee Member for 8th International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Networks, 2018
- 2017: Invited Technical Program Committee Member for International Conference on Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, Cairo, Egypt, 2018
- 2017: Invited Plenary Talk on Intelligent Battery Power System for IEEE International Conference on Power, Energy control and Transmission Systems, 2018.
- 2018: Invited reviewer for UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) under University Grants Commission (UGC)-Department of Science and Technology (DST) Government of INDIA call for joint research proposals.
- 2018: Invited as an independent expert in the specific field of MG‐BG‐ 01‐2018: Unmanned and autonomous survey activities at sea,part of Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2018‐2020.
- 2018: Invited member of Technical Program Committee of 6th International Conference on Mapping and Remote Sensing in Sanya, China, Nov. 23-24, 2018
- 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2014: Awarded Certificate of Appreciation in Recognition as Session Chair in 2014 IEEE Region 10 Technical Symposium, KL,Malaysia.
- 2013 : Recognised in Celebrating Success in the University Event by Vice-Chancellor, Prof Professor Chris Brink: The research engagement activities and research leadership involving UK (SMD Ltd) and Singapore's research partner (SMI and TP) to develop a new high performance lithium-ion battery power system for deep sea operations was recognised during the event.
- 2009 to present: Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering, Marquis, New Providence, New Jersey, USA.
- 2009 to present: Listed in Who's Who in the World Marquis, New Providence, New Jersey, USA.
- 2009 to present: Listed in Who's Who in Asia Marquis, New Providence, New Jersey, USA.
- 2006: Awarded Technological Achievement by Seagate’s CEO-Mr Bill Watkin.
- 2005: Quality Excellence Award for Customer Satisfaction in Seagate for Outstanding Achievements and Team Participation towards Mechanical System Robustness by Vice President of Quality and Reliability, Mr. Ralph R. McLaughlin.
- 2001: Emeritus Professor Howard Rosenbrock’s Medal for the Best Graduate of M.Sc. course from The University of Manchester (formerly UMIST).
Research Fundings (for more information)
- High Endurance and Sustainable Marine Mechatronic Systems Design I (Battery Power System for ROV):2013 to 2016- Co-PI for Research grant from Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) on High Performance Lithium-Ion Battery Power System for Long Endurance Deep Water Operation on ROV . SMD & Temasek Poly-CERC. Total funding worth S$598, 200.
- High Endurance and Sustainable Marine Mechatronic Systems Design II (ROV Control Systems Design): 2013 to 2015 - PI- Research project on AUV Docking Hoop Control System/ROV. ST-Electronics (Large-scale Systems Group) funded by Defence Innovative Research Programme. Total value estimated: S$124,525.
- High Endurance and Sustainable Marine Mechatronic Systems Design III (Non-Invasive Fouling Recognition System ): 2015 to 2017 . PI for Global Excellence Fund by Newcastle University with NTU, Prof. Maode Ma and POSH Ltd. Total value estimated: S$22,000.
- Acoustic Modelling and Prediction I (Noise Prediction of Large Acoustic Enclosure) : 2013 to 2017 - EDB-Industrial PhD Programme (IPP) - Noise and Vibration Prediction. SembCorp Marine. Total funding estimated S$400,000.
- Acoustic Modelling and Prediction II (Noise Prediction of Small Acoustic Enclosure): 2013 to 2017 - EDB-Industrial PhD Programme (IPP) - Correlation Study and Control of Mechanical Vibration and Psycho-Acoustic Parameters in Hard Disk Drive. Seagate. Total funding estimated S$400,000.
- Acoustic Modelling and Prediction III (Noise Prediction Software Tool): 2016 to 2019 - Co-PI on research grant from Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) on Intelligent Software Tool for independent Airborne and Structure-Borne Noise Modelling and Prediction in Crew Accommodation Quarter. SembCorp Marine & Ngee Ann Poly-Centre of Innovation-Marine & Offshore Technology (COI-MOT). Total funding worth S$346,600.
- R&D Engineer (Acoustic Engineer)
- R&D Engineer (Computer Engineer)
- Research Associate (Mechatronics Design)
- Research Associate (Control System)
Research / Taught PG/ UG Supervisions
- Completed 5 MSc (Int'l) in Marine Technology students (part-time)
- Completed 2 MPhil student/RA (full-time)
- Supervised 1 RA (full-time)
- Supervised 3 PhD candidates (full-time)
- Supervising 2 MPhil candidate (part-time)
- Supervising 2 R&D Engineers for SMI
- Supervising 2 R&D Engineers/RA for SMI
- Supervising 1 student from NTU
- Supervised 104 undergraduate students since 2010.
Research Editorial and Reviewer Activities
- Professional Societies: IEEE Senior Member Application Review Panel
- Books: Elsevier CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group
- Guest Editor: Journal of Advanced Transportation for Systems Design and Simulation
- Guest Editor for Journal of Marine Science and Engineering on Special Issue on Intelligent Marine Robotics Modelling, Simulation and Applications, MDPI.
- Editorial Board Member of The Open Electrical & Electronic Engineering Journal, Bentham Open.
- Reviewers in International Referred Journals: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics , Power Electronics, ASME/IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics & IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Neurocomputing, Control Engineering Practice, Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Renewable Energy, Ocean Engineering, Sensors, Energies, Robotics, Buildings.
Research-Informed Teaching Outcomes
- 2012: A FYP project on Design of an attachable walking skid for a ROV (supervised by myself) was shortlisted (i.e. final 3) in 2012 SET Awards (Science, Engineering & Technology Student of the Year) under the Maritime Technology Category.
- 2012: UG student obtained RINA (Royal Institution of Naval Architects) for Best Final Year Project (Design of an attachable walking skid for a ROV )in BEng with Honours in Marine Engineering.
- 2012: UG student obtained RINA and Keppel Award for Best Final Year Project in BEng with Honours in Marine Engineering.
- 2013: UG student obtained RINA and Keppel Award for Best Final Year Project (Hull Inspection Robot) in BEng with Honours in Naval Architects.
- 2013: A FYP project on Hull Inspection Robot (by UG student ) was awarded with 2013 MTS ROV COMMITTEE SCHOLARSHIP of US$2,000
- 2013: Co-supervisor for project- Application of Ocean Energy in Marine Aquatic Floating Farm recognised as an outstanding engineering project in WES 2013 YOUNG ENGINEERS COMPETITON.
- 2014: Awarded Newcastle University PGR Innovation Fund Projects (worth S$8,000) for Digital and Experiential Learning Network that leads to PGR Retreat for all PGR students in Singapore.
- 2014: UG student awarded RINA and Keppel book Prize for the Top Final-Year Project (Deep Sea Remote Vibration Monitoring) in BEng with Honours in Offshore Engineering.
- 2014: UG student awarded RINA and Keppel Book Prize for the Top Final-Year Project (Underwater Robotics Vehicle Simulation) in BEng with Honours in Naval Architects
- 2015: UG student awarded RINA and BAE Systems for the Top Final-Year Project (Engine Sound Signal Separation) in BEng with Honours in Marine Engineering
- 2016: Awarded Postgraduate Travel Grant for MPhil Student to attend conference.
Powering undersea exploration with Soil Machine Dynamics Ltd (SMD) and Newcastle University
New biofouling system aims to help to ship save on fuel and costs by Seatrade Maritime News
R&D: Acoustic Annoyance Study of HDD for Laptop under Hard Disk Drives by Storage Newsletter.com.
Research Works Experience
- 2017-present, Associate Professor in Newcastle University Singapore
- 2014-2017, Senior Lecturer in School of Marine Science and Technology, Newcastle University
- 2010-2014, Lecturer in School of Marine Science and Technology, Newcastle University
- 2008-2010, Lecturer in Mechatronics at Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore.
- 2004-2008, Senior R&D Engineer at Seagate Technology International, Science Park I, Singapore.
- 2002-2004, Engineer & Research Assistant
- 1999, 6-month Industrial attachment at DSTA,Singapore.
Research Innovations - U.S. Patents
- Joel Chiew, Chin CS et al. Phase Change Material Based Heat Sink with Volumetric Expansion Control, Singapore Provisional Patent Application No: 10201705900W on 19 July 2017.
- Chin CS et al. Electronic device torsion testing, U.S. Patent No.: 7,730,791.
- Chin CS et al.: Electronic device torsion testing, U.S. Patent No.: 7,454,980.
- Chin CS, Chee WO. Printed circuit cable assembly for top down installation, U.S. Patent 7,871,289.
- Chin CS et al: Electronic device torsion testing. Seagate Technology.Mar, 5 2009: US20090056470
- Chin CS, Chee WO: Printed circuit cable assembly for top down installation. Seagate Technology.Jan, 8 2009: US20090009912
- Chin CS et al.: Electronic device torsion testing. Seagate Technology.Mar, 20 2008: US20080066556
- Chin CS et al.: Jogging shock and vibration apparatus for one-inch drive used in consumer electronic, Trade Secret, STL 12576, 2004.
- Chin CS et al.: All directional topple tester for one-inch drive used in consumer electronic, Trade Secret, STL 12648, 2004.
2013 -Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice (CASAP II ) by Newcastle University (UK).
2009 - Certificate in Higher Education Teaching by Temasek Polytechnic.
Teach undergraduate modules at Newcastle University.
Marine Informatics II (MATLAB/Simulink)
Engineering Applications II (MATLAB/Simulink)
Marine Electrical Engineering
Project and Report
Marine Engineering II
Dynamic Modelling and Simulation
Marine Engineering Design
Other Subjects Taught
Microcontroller Technology (PIC, Arduino, Raspberry PI, xPC Target, R Programming)
Instrumentation and Computer Control (LabVIEW)
Engineering Drawings (ProE)
Mechatronic Systems Design
Machine Learning and Applications
External Courses Attended
- Nov 2015: Course Certificate with Distinction in Exploratory Data Analysis (4-week by Johns Hopkins University)
- Oct 2015: Course Certificate in An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (5-week by Rice University)
- Apr 2015 :Metocean Awareness Course by IMarEST and Society of Underwater Technology, Singapore
- Sept 2014: Course Certificate in Machine Learning (11-week by Stanford University)
- Sept 2005: Design for Six-Sigma Hardware Training by Seagate Technology International
- Jan 2005: Certificate in Six Sigma Green Belt by Seagate Technology International
- Chin C, Zhong X, Hamdan M, Cui RX, Cano JC, Martinez-De-Dios JR. Editorial: Intelligent Autonomous Transport Systems Design and Simulation. Journal of Advanced Transportation 2018, 1-4.
- Chan TK, Chin CS. Health stages diagnostics of underwater thruster using sound features with imbalanced dataset. Neural Computing and Applications 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Chin C, Si JT, Clare AS, Ma MD. Intelligent Fouling Detection System using Haar-like Cascade Classifier with Neural Networks. In: Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. Springer, 2018. In Press.
- Chin C, Lin WP. Robust Genetic Algorithm and Fuzzy Inference Mechanism Embedded in Sliding-Mode Controller for Uncertain Underwater Robot. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Chin C, Gao ZC. State-of-Charge Estimation of Battery Pack under Varying Ambient Temperature Using an Adaptive Sequential Extreme Learning Machine. Energies 2018, 11(4), 711.
- Ji X, Chin CS. Analytical Modelling of Vibroacoustic Interaction for Conjugate Enclosures. In: INTER-NOISE 2017, the 46th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering. 2017, Hong Kong.
- Lin WP, Chin CS. Block diagonal dominant remotely operated vehicle model simulation using decentralized model predictive control. Advances in Mechanical Engineering 2017, 9(4), 1-24.
- Chin CS, Saju S, Kwee TJ, Woo WL, Ji X. Comparative Analysis of Room Acoustic and Psychoacoustic using HEAD Acoustics SQobold. In: INTER-NOISE 2017, the 46th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering. 2017, Hong Kong.
- Gao ZC, Chin CS, Chiew JHK, Jia JB, Zhang CZ. Design and Implementation of Smart Lithium-ion Battery System with Real-time Fault Diagnosis Capability for Electric Vehicles. Energies 2017, 10(10), 1503.
- Chin CS, Sajin S. Effects of Psychoacoustics and Subjective Noise Annoyance Level on Student Learning in Classroom Environment. In: INTER-NOISE 2017, the 46th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering. 2017, Hong Kong.
- Chiew J, Chin CS, Jia J, Toh WD, Gao Z. Effects of void spaces in a phase change material based thermal energy storage system. Energy Procedia 2017, 143, 559-565.
- Ma YC, Chin CS, Woo WL. Evaluating 2.5” Hard Disk Drive Noise Source Identification. In: 46th INTER-NOISE Conference. 2017, Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Acoustics and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Ma YC, Chin CS, Woo WL. Evaluating 2.5” Hard Disk Drive Noise Source Identification. In: INTER-NOISE 2017 - 46th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering: Taming Noise and Moving Quiet. 2017, Hong Kong, China: Institute of Noise Control Engineering.
- Chin CS, Lin WP, Lin JY. Experimental Validation of Open-Frame ROV model for Virtual Reality Simulation and Control. Journal of Marine Science and Technology 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Gao ZC, Chin CS, Woo WL, Jia JB. Integrated Equivalent Circuit and Thermal Model for Simulation of Temperature-Dependent LiFePO4 Battery in Actual Embedded Application. Energies 2017, 10(1), 85-85.
- Chin C, Si JT, Clare AS, Ma MD. Intelligent Fouling Detection System using Haar-like Cascade Classifier with Neural Networks. In: The International Conference on Computational Sciences, Advanced Database and Computing (CSADC2017). 2017, Phuket, Thailand.
- Chin C, Si JT, Clare AS, Ma MD. Intelligent Image Recognition System for Marine Fouling using Softmax Transfer Learning and Deep Convolutional Neural Networks. Complexity 2017, 2017, 5730419.
- Toh WD, Xu B, Jia J, Chin CS, Chiew J, Gao ZC. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Power System for Deepwater Emergency Operation. Energy Procedia 2017, 143, 348-353.
- Chin CS, Ji X, Woo WL, Kwee TJ, Yang WX. Modified Multiple Generalized Regression Neural Network Models using Fuzzy C-Means with Principal Component Analysis for Noise Prediction of Offshore Platform. Neural Computing and Applications 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Chiew J, Chin CS, Jia JB, Toh WD, Gao ZC, Cham YT. Phase Change Material Based Heat Sink with Volumetric Expansion Control. Singapore Patent Application, 10201705900W, 19/07/2017.
- Chan T, Chin CS. Proposed Framework for Multi-Level Extreme Machine Learning for Underwater Thruster’s Fault Classification using YIN Fundamental Frequency Estimator and Pitch Sound. In: IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics. 2017, Hefei & Tai'an, China: IEEE.
- Gao ZC, Chin CS, Toh WD, Chiew J, Jia JB. State-of-Charge Estimation and Active Cell Pack Balancing Design of Lithium Battery Power System for Smart Electric Vehicle. Journal of Advanced Transportation 2017, 2017, 14 pages.
- Chiew J, Chin CS, Jia JB, Toh WD. Thermal Analysis of a Latent Heat Storage based Battery Thermal Cooling Wrap. In: COMSOL Conference 2017. 2017, Singapore, South East Asia.
- Ma YC, Chin CS, Woo WL, Gao B. An Acoustic Annoyance Study of Hard Disk Drive for Laptop. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 2016, 52(8), 1-9.
- Chan TK, Chin CS. Data Analysis to Predictive Modeling of Marine Engine Performance Using Machine Learning. In: IEEE TENCON 2016 - Technologies for Smart Nation. 2016, Singapore: IEEE.
- Chiew J, Chin CS, Jia J, Toh WD, Gao Z. High performance lithum-ion battery power system for long endurance deep-water operation. In: CommunicAsia2016. 2016, Singapore: Marina Bay Sands.
- Guo JY, Chin CS, Ma Maode, Clare AS. Interactive Vision-based Intelligent System for Active Macfouling and Microfouling Detection on Hull. In: OCEANS 16. 2016, Shanghai, China: IEEE.
- Jose J, Chin CS. Modelling and Analysis for Line Pipes Transportation for Subsea Pipelay. In: International Conference on Innovation & Cooperation in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (ICMT2016). 2016, Harbin, China.
- Krishnamoorthy P, Chin CS, Gao ZC, Lin WP. A Multi-Hop Microprocessor Based Prototype System for Remote Vibration and Image Monitoring of Underwater Offshore Platform. In: 2015 IEEE 7th International Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems (CIS) and IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM). 2015, Angkor Wat, Cambodia: IEEE.
- Ji X, Chin CS. Analysis of Acoustic Models and Statistical Energy Analysis with Direct Field for Machinery Room on Offshore Platform. Acta Acustica united with Acustica 2015, 101(6), 1234-1244.
- Gao ZC, Chin CS, Woo WL, Jia JB, Toh WD. Genetic Algorithm Based Back-Propagation Neural Network Approach for Fault Diagnosis in Lithium-ion Battery System. In: Power Electronics Systems and Applications (PESA), 2015 6th International Conference on. 2015, Hong Kong: IEEE.
- Wang Q, Woo WL, Dlay SS, Chin CS, Gao B. Informed Single Channel Speech Separation with time-frequency exemplar GMM-HMM model. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Digital Signal Processing (DSP). 2015, Singapore: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Gao ZC, Chin CS, Woo WL, Jia JB, Toh WD. Lithium-ion Battery Modeling and Validation for Smart Power System. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT). 2015, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia: IEEE.
- Gao ZC, Jia JB, Xie JL, Da Toh W, Lin PF, Lyu H, Julyanto D, Chin CS, Woo WL. Modelling and Simulation of a 12-Cell Battery Power System with Fault Control for Underwater Robot. In: 2015 IEEE 7th International Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems (CIS) and IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM). 2015, Angkor Wat, Cambodia: IEEE.
- Jia J, Lin P, Chin CS, Toh WD, Gao Z, Lyu H, Cham YT, Mesbahi E. Multirate Strong Tracking Extended Kalman Filter and Its Implementation on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery System. In: IEEE 11th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS 2015). 2015, Sydney, Australia: IEEE.
- Ma YC, Chin CS, Woo WL. Neural Networks-based Acoustic Annoyance Model for Laptop Hard Disk Drive. In: 17th International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ICNVE 2015). 2015, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Chin CS, Atmodihardjo W, Woo WL, Mesbahi E. Remote temperature monitoring device using a multiple patients-coordinator set design approach. ROBOMECH Journal 2015, 2, 4.
- Lin WP, Chin CS, Looi LCW, Lim JJ, Teh EME. Robust Design of Docking Hoop for Recovery of Autonomous Underwater Vehicle with Experimental Results. Robotics: Special Issue on Underwater Robotics. Guest Editors: Prof. Thor I. Fossen and Prof. Ingrid Schjølberg, NTNU,Trondheim, Norway 2015, 4(4), 492-515.
- Wan Dennis, Chin CS. Simulation and Prototype Testing of a Low-Cost Ultrasonic Distance Measurement Device in Underwater. Journal of Marine Science and Technology 2015, 20(1), 142-154.
- Ji X, Chin CS, Mesbahi E. The Effect of Damping Treatment for Noise Control on Offshore Platforms Using Statistical Energy Analysis. International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering 2015, 9(8), 1468-1473.
- Chiew J, Chin CS, Jia JB, Toh WD. Thermal Analysis of a Sealed Battery Power System Enclosure for Underwater Operations. In: COMSOL Conference 2015. 2015, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Thekkedan MD, Chin CS, Woo WL. Virtual Reality Simulation of Fuzzy-Logic Control during Underwater Dynamic Positioning. Journal of Marine Science and Application 2015, 14(1), 14-24.
- Eng Y, Chin C, Lau M. Added Mass Computation for Control of an Open Frame Remotely-Operated Vehicle: Application using WAMIT and MATLAB. Journal of Marine Science and Technology 2014, 22(4), 405-416.
- Si JT, Chin CS. An adaptable walking-skid for seabed ROV under strong current disturbance. Journal of Marine Science and Application 2014, 13(3), 305-314.
- Tong WJ, Chin CS, Lin W. Design of a Miniature Tri-Axis Vertical Wall Structure Climbing Robot using Electroadhesion. In: 9th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA). 2014, Hangzhou, China: IEEE.
- Thomas TK, Chin CS. Prototype Development of a Home-based Heart Rate Monitoring System using Virtual Instrumentation Platform. In: IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP). 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: IEEE.
- Rohim MBAS, Chin CS. Real time Mechatronic System for Monitoring Barnacles near Waterline using Ultrasonic Sensors. In: 17th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling (ICMCF). 2014, Singapore: NUS.
- Lin WP, Chin CS, Mesbahi E. Remote Robust Control and Simulation of Robot for Search and Rescue Mission in Water. In: OCEANS 2014 - TAIPEI. 2014, Taipei, Taiwan: IEEE.
- Lin WP, Chin CS. Remote Underwater Dual Cameras Video Image Acquisition System using Linux Based Embedded PC104. In: OCEANS 2014 - TAIPEI. 2014, Taipei, Taiwan: IEEE.
- Tam ICK, Chin CS, Tay ZXB, Chew YYC, Koh TG. Application of Ocean Energy in Marine Aquatic Floating Farm. In: World Engineers Summit 2013. 2013, Singapore: The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES).
- Chin CS, Tan TGee, Tan L, Woo CHong, Tam ICK. Feasibility study of Geothermal in Singapore. In: World Engineers Summit 2013. 2013, Singapore, Asia: The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES).
- Menon M, Chin CS. Powering Undersea Exploration; SMD. 2013.
- Lu XY, Gao B, Khor LC, Woo WL, Dlay SS, Ling WK, Chin CS. Single Channel Source Separation Using Filterbank and 2D Sparse Matrix Factorization. Journal of Signal and Information Processing 2013, 4(2), 186-196.
- Chin C, Wheeler C. Sliding-Mode Control of an Electromagnetic Actuated Conveyance System using Contactless Sensing. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2013, 60(11), 5315-5324.
- Chin C. Computer-Aided Control Systems Design: Practical Applications Using MATLAB® and Simulink®. Boca Raton, Florida, USA: CRC Press, 2012.
- Chin CS. Dynamic positioning simulation, thrust optimization design and control of a drill ship under disturbances and faulty thruster. Simulation 2012, 88(11), 1338-1349.
- Chin C. Marine Systems for Offshore Applications. Journal of Marine Science: Research & Development 2012, 2(2), e103.
- Chin CS. Model-Based Simulation of an Intelligent Microprocessor-Based Standalone Solar Tracking System. In: Katsikis, V, ed. MATLAB - A Fundamental Tool for Scientific Computing and Engineering Applications. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech, 2012, pp.251-278.
- Chin C, Lau MWS. Modeling and Testing of Hydrodynamic Damping Model for a Complex-Shaped Remotely-Operated Vehicle for Control. Journal of Marine Science and Application 2012, 11(2), 150-163.
- Chin C, Tam I. Online Rubric Assessment Tool for Marine Engineering Course. In: International Conference On Learning And Community Enrichment (ICOLACE 2012). 2012, Singapore, Asia.
- Chin C, Mesbahi E. Problem-Based Learning Approach for Martronics. In: IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering. 2012, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong: IEEE.
- Chin C. Application of an Intelligent Table Top Vacuum Robot Cleaner in Mechatronics System Design Education. Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics 2011, 23(5), 645-657.
- Chin C, Wheeler C, Quah S, Low T. Design, Modeling and Experimental Testing of Magnetic Levitation System for Conveyance Applications. In: 2nd International Conference on Computing, Control and Industrial Engineering. 2011, China, Wuhan: IEEE.
- Chin CS, McBride W. Design, Modeling and Testing of a Standalone Single Axis Active Solar Tracker using MATLAB/Simulink. Renewable Energy 2011, 36(11), 3075-3090.
- Chin C, Dev A. Modelling and Dynamic Positioning Simulation of OD21 Drill Ship. In: International Conference on Technology and Operation of Offshore Support Vessels (OSV). 2011, Singapore.
- Chin C, Lum SH. Rapid modeling and control sytems prototyping of a marine robotic vehicle with model uncertainties using xPC Target System. Ocean Engineering 2011, 38(17-18), 2128-2141.
- Chin C, Lau M, Low E. Supervisory Cascaded Controllers Design: Experiment Test on a Remotely-Operated Vehicle. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2011, 225(3), 584-603.
- Chin C. Systematic Modeling and Model-based Simulation of a Remotely-Operated Vehicle using MATLAB and Simulink. International Journal of Modeling, Simulation, and Scientific Computing 2011, 2(4), 481–511.
- Chin CS, Yue KM. Vertical Stream Curricula Integration of Problem-Based Learning (PBL) using Autonomous Vacuum Robot in Mechatronics Course. European Journal of Engineering Education 2011, 36(5), 485-504.
- Tan ST, Ong CP, Wong SJ, Chan KA, Chin CS. Electronic Device Torsion Testing (7,730,791). US: Seagate Technology LLC, 7730791, 8/6/2010.
- Chin CS. Modelling and Control of Remotely-Operated Vehicle (ROV) for Pipeline Tracking. Dalian, China: World Expo Center, 2010. MarineTech-Summit.
- Eng YH, Lau MS, Low E, Seet GL, Chin CS. A Novel Method to Determine the Hydrodynamic Coefficients of an Eyeball ROV. In: Iaeng Transactions on Engineering Technologies Volume I: Special Edition of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists. 2009, Hong Kong: AIP.
- Chin CS, Lau MW, Tan YJ, Chee KF, Wong YC. Development and testing of an autonomous underwater vehicle using industrial xPC-Target platform. In: IEEE/ASME International Conference of Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics. 2009, Singapore: IEEE.
- Chin CS, Chee WO. Printed circuit cable assembly for top down installation. US: Seagate Technology LLC, 7871289, 01/08/2009.
- Tan ST, Ong CP, Wong SJ, Chan KA, Chin CS. Electronic device torsion testing. US: Seagate Technology LLC, 7454980, 2008, 01/08/2009.
- Chin C , Lau M, Low E, Seet G. Robust and decoupled cascaded control system of underwater robotic vehicle for stabilization and pipeline tracking. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 2008, 222(4), 261-278.
- Chin CS, Lau MW, Low E, Seet GL. A Cascaded Nonlinear Heading Control with Thrust Allocation: An Application on an Underactuated ROV. In: IEEE International Conferences on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronic (RAM). 2006, Bangkok: IEEE.
- Chin C, Lau M, Low E, Seet G. A Pipeline Tracking Control of an Underactuated Remotely Operated Vehicle. The Mediterranean Journal of Measurement and Control 2006, 2(1), 22-34.
- Chin C, Munro N. A Systematic Analysis and Controllers Comparison of the ALSTOM Gasifier Benchmark Problem. In: Katalinic, B, ed. DAAAM International Scientific Book. Vienna, Austria: DAAAM International, 2006, pp.151-168.
- Chin C, Lau M, Low E, Seet G. Dynamic Modelling and Cascaded Controller Design of a Low-Speed Maneuvering ROV. In: Bojan Lalic, ed. Advanced Technologies: Research, Development and Application Book. Vienna, Austria: Advanced Robotic Systems International, 2006, pp.159-186.
- Chin C, Lau M, Low E, Seet G. Robust Controller Design Method and Stability Analysis of an Underactuated Underwater Vehicle. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science 2006, 16(3), 101-112.
- Chin C. Shock Analysis Method for Systematic Performance Evaluation of Component Embedded in Handheld Electronic Devices. Shock and Vibration 2006, 13(6), 607-618.
- Chin C, Lau MWS, Low E, Seet GGL. Software for Modelling and Simulation of a Remotely Operated Vehicle. International Journal of Simulation Modeling 2006, 5(3), 114-125.
- Chin CS, Lau MW, Low E, Seet GG. Analysis and Linear Control of a Low-Speed Maneuvering Underwater Robotic Vehicle (URV). In: 4th Asian Conference on Industrial Automation and Robotics. 2005, Landmark Hotel Bangkok, Thailand.
- Chin C, Munro N. Control of the ALSTOM Gasifier Benchmark Problem using H2 Methodology. Journal of Process Control 2003, 13(8), 759-768.
- Chin CS, Munro N. The Analysis and Control of the ALSTOM Gasifier Benchmark Problem. In: 15th International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) World Congress. 2002, Barcelona, Spain.
- Zhou M, Ngoi BKA, Zhong ZW, Chin CS. Brittle-ductile transition in diamond cutting of silicon single crystals. Materials and Manufacturing Processes 2001, 16(4), 447-460.
- Ngoi BK, Chin CS. Self-Compensated Heterodyne Laser Interferometer. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2000, 16(3), 217-219.
- Ngoi BKA, Venkatakrishnan K, Tan B, Chen ZW, Chin CS. Two-axis-scanning laser Doppler vibrometer for microstructure. Optics Communications 2000, 182(1-3), 175-185.
- Chin C, Lau M. Measurement and Control of a Thruster for Unmanned Robotic Vehicle (URV. In: 5th National Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (NUROP) Congress. 1999, Singapore: NTU.