Dr Iain Brownlee
Director of Operations for Food & Human Nutrition
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +65 6908 6060
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre
Newcastle University (Singapore)
172A Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 #05-01
SIT Building @ Nanyang Polytechnic
March 2007/ – Attended development course “Good Clinical Practice: Principal Investigator Training” at the Clinical Research Facility, RVI, Newcastle upon Tyne.
2008 - Completed PI development programme at Newcastle University over six day-long sessions
August 2010 - Completed GCP training, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead.
2010- 2011 - completed a PGCert in "Teaching and Learning for Higher Education" at Sheffield Hallam University
Honours and Awards
Received "Best Abstract" travel grants awards two years running (2002 and 2003) from the United European Gastroenterology Week.
Received Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Travel Grant for World Congress of Gastroenterology (2013).
2008-present: The UK Physiological Society
2008-present: The UK Nutrition Society
2010-present: American Chemical Society
2012-present: Registered Nutritionist (RNutr Nutrition Science) with the UK Association for Nutrition
2012-present: The Singapore Institute of Food Sciences and Technology
Current Research Interests
- Wholegrain foods and their influence on health
- The effect of diet on rheumatoid arthritis severity
- The occurrence of reflux in the normal population
- Dietary interventions benefiting health
- The effect of diet on rheumatoid arthritis severity
- The effect of diet and physical activity on reflux
- The role of reflux in diseases of the aerodigestive tract
- Colonic physiology
- Mucus and mucins of the gastrointestinal tract and airways
- Seaweed, diet and health and disease
- Expert reviewer for national and international funding bodies and organisations in the UK (including National Institute of Health Research and the Cochrane Database), the US, Singapore, The Netherlands and Luxembourg.
- Current reviewer for c.20 international journals
- Editorial Board member for "Food Hydrocolloids" (impact factor 4.6) "Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre" (impact factor 1.5).
- Named inventor on one patent "Inhibition of pancreatic lipase" (patent application # 0920633.5 with GB Intellectual property office
- Presenter of eighteen invited/peer-reviewed oral communications at national and international meetings
- Co-chair and panel member at numerous international conferences.
- Has presented over 30 posters at international Gastroenterology and Basic Science meetings.
- Author of 2 reports to the Food Standards Agency.
- Has successfully supervised three Research Council-funded PhD studentships up to 2014.
Co-applicant on BBRSRC-DRINC project grant BB/G00563X/1 "Bioactive Alginates and Obesity" (2009-2013).
Principal Investigator on Cereal Partners World-funded project "Analysis of whole grain intake and ready to eat cereals (RTEC) in a representative sample of Singaporean children"
Current PhD Studentships
- 2013-2015 (funded by Universiti Putra Malaysia) "Functional Metabolite Properties of Malaysian Edible Seaweed" (25%)
- 2015-2017 (Economic Development Board of Singapore funded) “Health claims in Southeast Asia” (20%).
- 2014-2018 (Newcastle University-SIT funded) “Dietary intake patterns in late adolescents in Singapore” (75%).
- Assessment and treatment of reflux and reflux-associated disease
- Wholegrain foods and health
- Seaweeds, seaweed isolates and health
- Potential health benefits of novel foods and foodstuffs
- Food and gastrointestinal health
- 2010-2011 - "Public Health Nutrition" and "Nutrition, Health and Lifestyles" (both BSc (Hons)), as well as an MSc in "Nutrition with Public Health Management" at Sheffield Hallam University
- August 2011 - end of 2014 - Lecturer in Food and Human Nutrition BSc (Hons) at Newcastle University (Singapore)
- Jan 2015 to present - Director of Operations for Food and Human Nutrition BSc (Hons) in Singapore.
- Nominated for Newcastle University "Teaching Excellence Awards" 2013.
- Nominated for three Newcastle University "Teaching Excellence Awards" 2014.
- Nominated for Newcastle University "Teaching Excellence Awards" (Innovative Teaching Methods) 2015.
- Chew KY, Brownlee IA. The impact of supplementation with dietary fibres on weight loss: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Ng J, Brownlee IA. The effect of high β-glucan flour incorporation into instant rice porridge on satiety and energy intake. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2017, 11, 60-66.
- Neo JE, Brownlee IA. Wholegrain Food Acceptance in Young Singaporean Adults. Nutrients 2017, 9, 371.
- Brownlee IA, Chater PI, Pearson JP, Wilcox MD. Dietary fibre and weight loss: Where are we now?. Food Hydrocolloids 2017, 68, 186-191.
- Ong JL, Brownlee IA. Energy Expenditure, Availability, and Dietary Intake Assessment in Competitive Female Dragon Boat Athletes. Sports 2017, 5(2), 1-7.
- Neo JE, Salleh S, Toh YX, How KYL, Tee M, Mann K, Hopkins S, Thielecke F, Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole-grain food consumption in Singaporean Children aged 6-12 years. Journal of Nutritional Science 2016, 5, e33.
- Chater PI, Wilcox M, Cherry P, Herford A, Mustar S, Wheater H, Brownlee I, Seal C, Pearson J. Inhibitory activity of extracts of Hebridean brown seaweeds on lipase activity. Journal of Applied Phycology 2016, 28(2), 1303-1313.
- Balasubramaniam V, Lee JC, Noh MFM, Ahmad S, Brownlee IA, Ismail A. Alpha-amylase, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory activities of Eucheuma denticulatum (N.L. Burman) FS Collins and Hervey. Journal of Applied Phycology 2015, 28(3), 1965–1974.
- Chater PI, Wilcox MD, Pearson JP, Brownlee IA. The impact of dietary fibres on the physiological processes governing small intestinal digestive processes. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2015, 6(2), 117-132.
- Chater PI, Wilcox MD, Brownlee IA, Pearson JP. Alginate as a protease inhibitor in vitro and in a model gut system; selective inhibition of pepsin but not trypsin. Carbohydrate Polymers 2015, 131, 142-151.
- Liang ZMK, Brownlee IA. The impact of commercially available, seaweed-based food products on alpha-amylase activity. In: Nutrition Society Summer Meeting. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Neo JE, Brownlee IA. Wholegrain food acceptance in young Singaporeans. In: Nutrition Society Summer Meeting. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Lim K, Brownlee IA. Oro-caecal transit time analysis of fructooligosaccharides in different food matrices using a revised predictive model for Southeast Asians. In: Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: Summer Meeting 2014. 2015, Cambridge University Press.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Chater PI, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Biological activity of alginate and its effect on pancreatic lipase inhibition as a potential treatment for obesity. Food Hydrocolloids 2015, 49, 18-24.
- Chater PI, Wilcox M, Brownlee I, Pearson JP. A synthetic model gut system to study macronutrient digestion in vitro. In: Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: Summer Meeting 2014. 2015, Cambridge University Press.
- Brownlee IA. The impact of dietary fibre intake on the physiology and health of the stomach and upper gastrointestinal tract. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2014, 4(2), 155-169.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Brownlee IA, Chater P, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Method for quantifying alginate and determining release from a food vehicle in gastrointestinal digesta. Food Chemistry 2014, 151, 352-357.
- Wilcox MD, Brownlee IA, Richardson J, Dettmar PW, Pearson JP. The modulation of pancreatic lipase activity by alginates. Food Chemistry 2014, 146, 479-484.
- Balasubramaniam V, Mustar S, Mustafa Khalid N, Abd Rashed A, Mohd Noh MF, Wilcox MD, Chater PI, Brownlee IA, Pearson JP. Inhibitory activities of three Malaysian edible seaweeds on lipase and α-amylase. Journal of Applied Phycology 2013, 25(5), 1405-1412.
- Griffin SM, Robertson AGN, Bredenoord AJ, Brownlee IA, Stovold R, Brodlie M, Forrest I, Dark JH, Pearson JP, Ward C. Aspiration and Allograft Injury Secondary to Gastroesophageal Reflux Occur in the Immediate Post-Lung Transplantation Period (Prospective Clinical Trial). Annals of Surgery 2013, 258(5), 705-712.
- Brownlee IA, Kuznesof S, Moore C, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. The impact of a 16-week dietary intervention with prescribed amounts of whole-grain foods on subsequent, elective whole grain consumption. British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 110(5), 943-948.
- Ross AB, Macharia HN, Kochhar S, Jebb SA, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ. Can we consider plasma alkyresorcinols as a potential biomarker of whole-grain food? Reply. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012, 96(5), 1151-1152.
- Kuznesof S, Brownlee IA, Moore C, Richardson DP, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. WHOLEheart study participant acceptance of wholegrain foods. Appetite 2012, 59(1), 187-193.
- Ross AB, Bourgeois A, Macharia HN, Kochhar S, Jebb SA, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ. Plasma alkylresorcinols as a biomarker of whole-grain food consumption in a large population: Results from the WHOLEheart Intervention Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012, 95(1), 204-211.
- Brownlee IA, Aseeri A, Ward C, Pearson J. From gastric aspiration to airway inflammation. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease 2010, 73(2), 54-63.
- Brownlee IA. The physiological roles of dietary fibre. Food Hydrocolloids 2011, 25(2), 238-250.
- Pearson JP, Brownlee IA. The Interaction of Large Bowel Microflora with the Colonic Mucus Barrier. International Journal of Inflammation 2010, Article ID 321426.
- Brownle IA, Forster DJ, Wilcox MD, Dettmar PW, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Physiological parameters governing the action of pancreatic lipase. Nutrition Research Reviews 2010, 23, 146-154.
- Bulmer DM, Ali MS, Brownlee IA, Dettmar PW, Pearson JP. Laryngeal Mucosa: Its Susceptibility to Damage by Acid and Pepsin. Laryngoscope 2010, 120(4), 777-782.
- Brownlee IA, Moore C, Chatfield M, Richardson DP, Ashby P, Kuznesof SA, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. Markers of cardiovascular risk are not changed by increased whole-grain intake: the WHOLEheart study, a randomised, controlled dietary intervention. British Journal of Nutrition 2010, 104(1), 125-134.
- Brownlee IA, Knight J, Dettmar PW, Pearson JP. Action of reactive oxygen species on colonic mucus secretions. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 2007, 43(5), 800-808.
- Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole grains and health, evidence from observational and intervention studies. Cereal Chemistry 2010, 87(2), 167-174.
- Seal CJ, Brownlee IA, Jones AR. Grains and health: The "whole" picture. Quintessence International 2007, 38(6), 498-503.
- Viswanathan H, Brownlee IA, Pearson JP, Carrie S. MUC5B secretion is up-regulated in sinusitis compared with controls. American Journal of Rhinology 2006, 20(5), 554-557.
- Brownlee IA, Allen A, Pearson JP, Dettmar PW, Havler ME, Atherton MR, Onsoyen E. Alginate as a source of dietary fiber. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 2005, 45(6), 497-510.
- Brownlee IA, Havler ME, Dettmar PW, Allen A, Pearson JP. Colonic mucus: Secretion and turnover in relation to dietary fibre intake. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2003, 62(1), 245-249.
- Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole-grain foods and chronic disease: evidence from epidemiological and intervention studies. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2015, 74(3), 313-319.
- Brownlee IA, Gill S, Wilcox MW, Pearson JP, Chater PI. Starch digestion in the upper gastrointestinal tract of humans. Starch 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).