Dr Ivan CK Tam
Associate Professor in Marine Engineering Design & Technology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +65 6908 6009 or 6001
- Address: 537 Clementi Road
SIT Building @ Ngee Ann Polytechnic
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Operations & Associate Professor
PhD Newcastle, BEng(Hons) Newcastle
CEng, CMarEng, MIES, FIMechE, FIMarEST, FHEA
Ivan is an Associate Professor with a wealth of experience in multi-disciplinary research and a strong track record of leading innovative teaching projects. Upon completing his engineering training in thermal power stations and shipyards, he established his research interest at the then Cranfield Institute of Technology as a Research Officer. He has strong interest in the combustion process, exhaust emission control, energy management and renewable energy technology. His recent research interest is the application of cryogenic technology in the reduction of ship hull resistance. as well as ballast water and sewage water treatment technologies. He has a good connection with engineering companies through the network of learned societies and consultancy work with local industries in Singapore. He is a Fellow member, Assessor of Registration as well as the Chairman (Joint Branch) of the IMarEST & RINA. He received the Commendation Award by President of IMarEST in 2016. He is currently the Director of Operations in marine technology (Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture & Offshore Engineering) at the Singapore campus.
- Chartered Engineer - Engineering Council, UK
- Chartered Engineer - Institution of Engineers, Singapore http://charteredengineers.sg/chartered-engineers-members/
- Chartered Marine Engineer - Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, UK
- Fellow Member - Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK
- Fellow Member - Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, UK
- Senior Member - Institution of Engineers, Singapore
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy, UK
- International Professional Review Assessor, IMechE, UK 2015 -
- Chairman - Joint Branch of RINA and IMarEST (Singapore), 2015 - 2017
- Honorary Advisor - Joint Branch of RINA and IMarEST (Singapore), 2018 -
- Board Member - Unmanned Surface Vehicle Special Interest Group, IMarEST, 2017 -
- PRI Assessor - Chartered Engineer Registration, IMarEST, UK, 2014 -
- Board Member - Chartered Engineering Registry, Institution of Engineers,Singapore, 2016 -
- Academic Panel - IES Academy, Institution of Engineers, Singapore 2016 -
- IMarEST President's Commendation Award 2016
- Combustion process in Internal Combustion Engines with fossil fuels. The combination of experimental techniques and theoretical studies are used to investigate combustion process and its correlation with fuel efficiency and exhaust emissions in marine and automotive engines. Simulation programs of engine cycles are developed to compare and correlate with experimental data found.
- Various techniques were developed to investigate the combustion and fuel atomization process in the gas turbine engines. The knowledge developed from the understanding from these processes are expected to yield better fuel efficiency and reduction of exhaust emissions. The experimental techniques include the use of laser diagnostics in examination of pressure atomized spray as well as the cross-correlation of drop sizing techniques.
- Recently, the efficient use of LNG fuel as marine fuel is being studied. The efficient transportation and conversion of liquid to gas fuel with the use of heat exchangers on board ship is vital. The combination of the clean fuel and the development of an efficient hull of low resistance is the currently the research theme of the Singapore research team.
Research Editorial and Reviewer Activities:
- Open Access Journal Applied Sciences (ISSN 2076-3417) Special Issue: "Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) for Ground Transport" Guest edited by Prof. Dr. Jose Ramon Serrano; http://www.mdpi.com/si/applsci/ICE_ground_transport
- Entropy -Special Issue - Advances in Applied Thermodynamics - Open Access Journal - MDPI AG
- WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA) - ISSN: 1651-436X (Print) 1654-1642 (Online) - Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Book Peer Reviewer - Computer-Aided Control System Design - Practical Applications using Matlab & Simulink
A. Current Funded Project (2016 onwards)
PI: Professor David Graham (School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences)
B. Past Funded Research Projects: (Pre 2016)
1. Funded by Singapore Maritime Institute - “Reduction of Resistance on Ship Hull by TFI Lubrication Technology”
Industry Collaborator - A leading shipping company in Singapore
Recipient of Inaugural of Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) Research Funding Grant Call, "Maritime Energy Systems R&D Programme" 18th July, 2013
Co-PI – Centre of Innovation, Ngee Ann Polytechnic/Maritime Institute @NP
2. Research project for gas turbine for Rolls Royce and European Communities
- EC funded BRITE/EURAM low emissions combustor technology programme (To investigate the limitations of 1-D phase Doppler particle analyser for drop size and velocity measurement in a dense spray at elevated air pressure conditions
- Ford (UK) Motors funded project on lean burn internal combustion engines
3. Ford (UK) Motors funded project on lean burn internal combustion engines
“An Examination of the Combustion Process in the Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engines”
Industry Collaborator - Ford Motor Company Ltd
C. MPil / PhD scholarships for Polytechnic Staff in Singapore
I am seeking PhD students who are interested in research topics above. Currently, there are several PhD scholarships available for Polytechnic staff in Sinagpore. Applicants wishing to be considered for these opportunities should submit their applications and CV to my email address. For more information, it can be found here
"Reducing Shipping Emissions with an Integrated Wet Scrubbing Process" (Since 2015)
MPhil/PhD Candidate: Terence Chin (Nanyang Polytechnic)
D. Research Degree Scholarships (PhD, MPhil) in Singapore/UK
Newcastle University International Singapore currently offers several PhD and MPhil scholarships for employees who conduct a research project for their employer. More information about this can be found here
Singapore Scholarships 2016 (GBP 80,000)
"Development of multi-generation system for passenger ships with LNG and bio-wastes as prime heat sources" (2016 onwards)
PI: Dr Dawei Wu (School of Marine Science & Technology, Newcastle University)
co-PI: Dr Dimitrios Konovessis (School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University)
D. Research Students in Singapore / UK
1. CHIN, Terrence
“Reducing Shipping Emissions with an Integrated Wet Scrubbing Process” - 2015
2. NG, Chun Wee
“A study into the waste heat recovery using organic Rankine cycle (ORC) onboard LNG fueled ships” - 2016
Part of the work was published in the "International Conference on Computer Applications in Shipbuilding (ICCAS) 2017. https://www.rina.org.uk/ICCAS-2017.html
3. TEO, Mark Ching Leong
“Exploration of Ship Big Data for Future Marine Applications" - 2016
4. ZHANG, Zhenhua
“LNG cryogenic energy recovery for power generation and ice assisted cooling in marine vessels" - 2016
- Marine Engineering Practice II
- Marine Engineering Science II
- Marine Engineering Design
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Marine Engineering III
- Engineering Applications
- Project and Report
- Future Marine Projects
Undergraduate Project Supervision
- A Study of the Shipbuilding Technology of LNG Carriers
- Formulation Stability Requirements for Anchor Handling Tug & Supply (AHTS) Vessels
- Feasibility Study of Carbon Sequestration in SEA
- Estimate the Natural Frequency of Engine Crankshaft
Postgraduate Project Supervision
- Improving commissioning schedule of Jack Up drilling rigs in the dry dock
- The risk analysis framework of an accomodation and repair vessel
- Tam ICK. An Effective Partnership of Professional Education in Marine and Offshore Technology. In: The 9th International Forum on Shipping, Ports and Airports (IFSPA) 2017. 2017, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Hong Kong - C.Y. Tung International Centre for Maritime Studies: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Hong Kong - C.Y. Tung International Centre for Maritime Studies.
- Chia R, Tam I, Dev AK. Maritime Sustainability and Maritime Labour Convention - Reducing Vibration and Noise Levels on Board Ships for Health and Safety of Seafarers. In: MARTECH 2017 SINGAPORE; Towards 2030: Maritime Sustainability through People and Technology. 2017, Singapore, South East Asia: Ultra Supplies; www.ultrasupplies.com.sg.
- Ng CW, Tam ICK, Wu D. Modelling and Simulation of Organic Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery of an Offshore Supply Vessel. In: THE 18th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER APPLICATIONS IN SHIPBUILDING (ICCAS 2017). 2017, Holiday Inn Hotel Singapore Orchard City Centre 11 Cavenagh Road, Singapore 229616: The Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
- Chia R, Tam I, Dev AK. Impact of Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 on Design and Performance of New Ships - Vibration. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Technology and Operation of Offshore Support Vessels. 2016, Singapore: Research Publishing.
- Agnew B, Walker S, Ng B, Tam ICK. Finite Time Analysis of a Tri-Generation Cycle. Energies 2015, 8(6), 6215-6229.
- Agnew B, Walker S, Ng B, Tam ICK. Maximum output from a tri-generation cycle. Applied Thermal Engineering 2015, 90, 1015-1020.
- Tam ICK, Tin AW, Wong PP. A New Paradigm of Collaboration in Maritime Teaching and Learning. In: International Conference on the Education and Professional Development of Engineers in the Maritime Industry. 2013, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore: The Royal Institution of Naval Architects. In Press.
- Tam ICK, Chin CS, Tay ZXB, Chew YYC, Koh TG. Application of Ocean Energy in Marine Aquatic Floating Farm. In: World Engineers Summit 2013. 2013, Singapore: The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES).
- Tam ICK, Saifuddin BALatiff, Mesbahi E. Development of a Low Cost Micro Hydropower Generator. In: World Engineers Summit 2013. 2013, Singapore, Southeast Asia: The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES).
- Hale JM, Tam ICK. Development of Polymer Based Piezoelectric Paint Sensor for Dynamic Strain Measurement. In: 22nd International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM XXII). 2013, Singapore, Southeast Asia: Research Publishing and Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES).
- Chin CS, Tan TGee, Tan L, Woo CHong, Tam ICK. Feasibility study of Geothermal in Singapore. In: World Engineers Summit 2013. 2013, Singapore, Asia: The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES).
- Chea WPD, Chatterjea K, Hanks K, Dev AK, Tam ICK. Formulating Stability Requirements for Anchor Handling Tug and Supply (AHTS) Vessels. In: International Conference on Technology and Operation of Offshore Support Vessels. 2013, Singapore: Research Publishing.
- Chin C, Tam I. Online Rubric Assessment Tool for Marine Engineering Course. In: International Conference On Learning And Community Enrichment (ICOLACE 2012). 2012, Singapore, Asia.
- Murphy AJ, Tam ICK. Staff Exchange Teaching Model for an Offshore Campus. In: IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering (TALE). 2012, Hong Kong: IEEE.
- Tam ICK, Murkerjee P, Bhandari R. Using mathematical modeling technique to enhance engine room simulation training and assessment. In: The 9th International Conference on Engine Room Simulators (ICERS9). 2009, Kings Pont, New York, USA.
- Tam I, Zhou PL. Technologies in ballast water treatment – an overview. 25th SNAMES Annual Journal 2001/02 2002, 64-79.
- Agnew B, Tam ICK. An Experimental Study of the Influence of Swirl on the Cyclical Variation of a Lean Burn Spark Ignition Engine. In: Special Meeting of Korean Society of Automobile Engineers, Proc. K.S.A.E. 1993, Seoul, Korea.
- Brandt M, Hassa Ch, Kneer R, Lisiecki D, Tam I, Ledoux M, Cormack G, Hawkins HL, Jasuja AK. Cross Correlation of Three Drop Sizing Techniques. In: 6th Int. Symp. on Appl. of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics. 1992, Lisboa, Portugal: Springer.
- Jasuja AK, Tam CK. Determintion of airblast atomzed spray structure using state-of-art laser diagnostics. In: AIAA, SAE, ASME and ASEE, Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibition, 28th. 1992, Nashville, TN.
- Jasuja AK, Tam ICK. Examination of detailed structure of a pressure atomized spray using laser diagnostics. In: 8th ILASS-Europe. 1992, Shell-Laboratorium Amsterdam: Institute for Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems.
- Tam CK, McLean J, Jasuja AK. An experimental study of the detailed structure of an airblast atomized gas turbine spray. In: International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, 10th. 1991, Nottingham, England: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington DC.
- Agnew B, Tam I. Data Acquisition System and Instrumentation for Monitoring Lean Burn Combustion in a Spark Ignition Engine. In: Seminar on Methods in Engine Research and Development. 1988, London: Insitution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Angew B, Chan CL, Tam I. The Influence of Swirl and Fuel Type on Mass Burning Rates in a Spark Ignition Engine. In: Combustion in Engines. 1988.
- Agnew B, Chan CL, Tam I. The Influence of Swirl on Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine. In: 11th Int.Coll. Dynamics of Explosions. 1987, Warsaw, Poland.
- Agnew B, Palmer D, Tam I. An Examination of the use of a Variable Compression Ratio Piston in a Spark Ignition Engine. In: Seminar on the Practical Limits of Efficiency of Engines. 1986, London.