Dr Lourdes Santos-Merx
Director of Operations (FHN)
- Telephone: +65 6908 6067
Dr Lourdes SANTOS-MERX
AfN Reg Nutritionist (Public Health)
PhD in Psychology
Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher EducationAssistant Professor in Food & Human Nutrition
Dr Lourdes Santos Merx is a Nutritionist (University of Oporto, Portugal) with an interest in Eating Behaviour. Her PhD (University of Birmingham, UK) focussed on social and psychological aspects of meat avoidance behaviour. Lourdes’ postdoctoral research at the University of Minho (Portugal) was in eating disorders with an interest on the perception of food portions size. At that time Lourdes was also the nutritional adviser for students who showed signs of disordered eating behaviour as well as guest lecturer for two master programmes in clinical and public health nutrition.
Back in UK in 2002 Lourdes started lecturing at Leeds Trinity University in Nutrition and Health and among other duties she was the Programme Leader for a few BSc Nutrition based courses. Since September 2015, Lourdes is based at Newcastle University, on its Singapore Campus where she contributes to the delivery of the BSc Food and Human Nutrition.
- Registered Nutritionist (Public Health) by the Association for Nutrition
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy since 2007
- Member of the European Nutrition Leadership Platform Alumni Association
Several years experience in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in Nutrition related modules and Eating Behaviour.
Currently contributing to the delivery of the BSc (Hons) Food and Human Nutrition:
Human Nutrition in Health and Disease (coordinator)
Sports and Exercise Nutrition (coordinator)
Advanced Nutrition in Practice
Integrating Food and Human Nutrition
Plants for Food and Medicinal Usage
Contemporary Issues in Food and Nutrition
Project and Dissertation
◦ Eating disorders: body image perception; eating behaviour
◦ Perception of food portion sizes
◦ Development of food preferences in children
◦ Contrasting dietary intakes of different food cultures
◦ School food provision and nutritional interventions
Peer reviewer for Public Health Nutrition and Appetite
- Santos-Merx L, Morgandass K, Tan S. Men in Singapore: Differences in body dissatisfaction and attitudes towards disordered eating in the three main ethnicities. In: International Society Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity Annual Meeting. 2018, Hong Kong. Submitted.
- Lee W, Chan MY, Poh WJ, Santos-Merx L, Gill-Dang S. Low Adherence to Healthy Eating among Singaporean University Students. In: Regional Symposium on Diabetes: Current Science and Multi-Stakeholder Approaches to Prevention and Management. 2017, Singapore, South East Asia.
- Santos-Merx L, Firdaus S, Tay ME, Brownlee IA. Delaying breakfast: Impact on breakfast and subsequent meal quality among young Singaporeans. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2017, 76(OCE4), E167.
- Vílchez MP, Santos-Merx L. British and Spanish Youths: How different are their eating habits?. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2017, 76(OCE4), E150.
- Santos-Merx L, Kendall H, Ong H, Westerman K. Motives for choosing food: a comparison between young adults residing in UK and Singapore. In: British Feeding and Drinking Group Annual Conference. 2017, Reading, UK.
- Santos-Merx L, Dobby J. Sexual orientation and differences in body dissatisfaction and attitudes towards disordered eating. In: Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior. 2016, Porto, Portugal.
- Garcia-Gonzalez C, Santos-Merx L. Emotional eating and food cravings: A gender comparison of university students. Appetite 2015, 87(1), 403-403.
- Santos-Merx L, Cromack S. Body image exposure’s effect on body dissatisfaction and eating behaviour on recreational gym users. In: Clara Pracana, ed. InPact – International Psychological Applications Conference and Trends. Porto, Portugal: World Institute for Advanced Research and Science (Lisbon, Portugal), 2014, pp.232-234.
- Santos-Merx L, Craven S. Creating the forbidden fruit: the impact of healthy eating guidelines on eating behaviour and mood. In: Clara Pracana, ed. InPact – International Psychological Applications Conference and Trends. Porto, Portugal: World Institute for Advanced Research and Science (Lisbon, Portugal), 2014, pp.220-222.
- Appleton CL, Santos-Merx L. Differences in eating behaviours between part-time and full-time exotic dancers. In: Eating Disorders International Conference. 2012, London.
- Wain SD, Santos-Merx L. Effects of pro-anorexia and bulimia websites on young women’s self-esteem and eating behaviour. In: Eating Disorders International Conference. 2012, London.
- Pearson L, Santos-Merx L. Nutritional analysis of school meals at Ruhanga developmental school in Uganda. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2012, 71 (OCE2), E160.
- Bourgeois MC, Santos-Merx L. Managers’ and caterers’ knowledge and beliefs on healthy eating and their influence on food provided to pre-school aged children (3-4 years old) in child care. Annals of Human Biology 2011, 38 (4), 461.
- Santos-Merx L, Rollason J. Perceived food amounts among young women gym-users scoring high and low on the Drive for Thinness and Body Dissatisfaction Eating Disorder Inventory subscales. European Eating Disorders Review 2010, 18 (3).
- Santos L, Machado PPP. Perceived food amounts for themselves and others: a comparison between young women scoring high and low on the Eating Disorders Inventory. Appetite 2002, 39 (3), 257.
- Santos MLS, Machado PPP. Food avoidance behaviour among female university students: association with Eating Disorders Inventory and its subscales scores. Appetite 2001, 37 (2), 161-162.
- Rodrigues SSP, Oliveira BM, Santos MLS, Almeida MDV. The influence of nutrition knowledge on food neophobia and neophilia. In: J. S. A. Edwards & M. M. Hewedi, ed. Culinary Arts and Sciences III: Global and National Perspectives. Bournemouth, UK: The Worshipful Company of Cooks Centre for Culinary Research, 2001, pp.166-174.
- Santos MLS, Booth DA. Influences on meat avoidance among British students. Appetite 1996, 27, 197-205.
- Santos-Merx L, Tan A, Tan S, Ravichandran L. Exploring food cravings in Singapore: The impact of ethnicity considering emotional and dietary restraint states. In: International Society Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity Annual Meeting. 2018, Hong Kong. In Preparation.
- Santos-Merx L, Lim Z, Eka D, Chia Y, Gill-Dang S. Willingness to try Singaporean food: A multi-ethnic comparison within food neophobia levels. In: British Feeding and Drinking Group Annual Conference. 2018, Lyon, France: Appetite/Elsevier. Submitted.
- Santos-Merx L, Anuar F, Lim E. Women in Singapore: Differences in body dissatisfaction and attitudes towards disordered eating in the three main ethnicities. In: British Feeding and Drinking Group Annual Conference. 2018, Lyon, France: Appetite/Elsevier. Submitted.