Dr Saloni Kaur Dang
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +65 6908 6062
- PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
- Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders
Awards and Grants
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy UK, 2016
- UNSW PhD Completion Scholarship 2011
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) 2010 Graduate/Postdoctoral Travel Award
- Australian Atherosclerosis Society (AAS) Annual Scientific Meeting 2009 Travel Grant
- Australian Atherosclerosis Society (AAS) ‘Best Student Oral Presentation 2009’ Prize
- School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS, UNSW) 2008 Student Award for Publishing in a Journal with the Highest Impact Factor (Gill* et al., 2008)
* Maiden name: Saloni Gill
My research focuses on various aspects of Biochemistry involving lipid (fat) regulation. Primarily we have concentrated on investigating the role of certain regulatory enzymes in cholesterol biosynthesis. This may have important implications for human nutrition, health and disease, notably in cardiovascular disease, which has a strong association with high blood cholesterol levels.
Furthermore, we investigate the role of certain endogenous oxysterols (oxygenated derivatives of cholesterol) in the acute regulation of cholesterol levels. This may have significant effects on many biological processes, such as cholesterol homeostasis and atherosclerosis.
ACE 2112 Nutritional Biochemistry, Immunology, and Genetics
ACE 2136 Nutritional Principles
ACE 2140 Experimental Food Science
ACE 2149 Global Food Challenges, Controversies, and Citizenship
ACE 3163 Contemporary Issues in Food and Human Nutrition
- Brownlee IA, Gill S, Wilcox MW, Pearson JP, Chater PI. Starch digestion in the upper gastrointestinal tract of humans. Starch 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Gill-Dang SK, Suratman SA. Association of energy-dense ethnic food consumption and its impact on lipid profile of three major ethnicities in Singapore. In: 10th Asia Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition. 2017, Nutrients/MDPI. Submitted.
- Lee W, Chan MY, Poh WJ, Santos-Merx L, Gill-Dang S. Low Adherence to Healthy Eating among Singaporean University Students. In: Regional Symposium on Diabetes: Current Science and Multi-Stakeholder Approaches to Prevention and Management. 2017, Singapore.
- Zerenturk EJ, Kristiana I, Gill S, Brown AJ. The Endogenous Regulator 24(S),25-Epoxycholesterol Pares Back Cholesterol Synthesis at DHCR24 (Seladin-1). BBA-Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids 2012, 1821(9), 1269-1277.
- Gill S, Stevenson J, Kristiana I, Brown AJ. Cholesterol-Dependent Degradation of Squalene Monooxygenase, a Control Point in Cholesterol Synthesis Beyond HMG-CoA Reductase. Cell Metabolism 2011, 13, 260-273.
- Stevenson J, Gill S, Kristiana I, Brown AJ. Cholesterol-Dependent Proteasomal Degradation of Squalene Monooxygenase, A Second Control Point in Cholesterol Synthesis. In: The FASEB Journal. 2011, FASEB.
- Gill S, Stevenson J, Kristiana I, Brown AJ. Controlling cholesterol synthesis beyond HMG-CoA reductase. In: Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 2011, Elsevier.
- Gill S, Brown AJ. Exploiting a Physiological Regulator to Improve the Efficacy and Safety of Statins. Cardiovascular Drug Therapy 2011, 25, 183-185.
- Gill S, Stevenson J, Kristiana I, Brown AJ. Novel Control Point in Cholesterol Biosynthesis. In: The FASEB Journal. 2010, FASEB.
- Gill S, Chow R, Brown AJ. Sterol Regulators of Cholesterol Homeostasis and Beyond: The Oxysterol Hypothesis Revisited and Revised. Progress in Lipid Research 2008, 47, 391-404.