Dr Steven Tay
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 69086071
- Address: Newcastle University at Nanyang Polytechnic
172A Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 #05-01
SIT Building @ Nanyang Polytechnic
Dr Tay is an Assistant Professor with Newcastle University Singapore.
PhD (Mechanical Engineering), University of South Australia
BEng (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering), University of South Australia
2016: Sir George Julius Medal (Mechanical College Awards)
2015: Winner, ANSTO Eureka Prize for Innovative Use of Technology (please click here for media release)
2014: Runners-up, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Building Services (ARBS) Industry Awards (Refrigeration Project Excellence)
2012: Best PhD Thesis Award from the School of Engineering, University of South Australia
2012: Winner, Australia Institute of Refrigeration Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH) Award (Excellence in HVAC and Refrigeration Research)
2012-2015: Australian Renewable Energy Agency Postdoctoral Fellowship
2009-2012: International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
2009-2012: University of South Australia Postgraduate Award
2006 & 2007: University of South Australia Chancellor's Letters of Commendation
Innovation patent (AU2013101456), “A coolroom refrigeration arrangement and a method of operation thereof” (2014)
· Design and optimisation of thermal energy storage systems using phase change materials for refrigeration and solar power plant applications.
· Investigation of transportable heat transfer enhancement techniques.
· Development and analysis of phase change materials.
· Integrating phase change materials into air-conditioning system to improve overall efficiency.
· Computer Modelling and Simulation - Modelling and simulation of heat transfer process of phase change thermal energy storage systems.
· Maximising solar PV with phase change thermal energy storage, Australian Renewable Energy Agency, 2016-2019
MEC2103 Concurrent Design and Manufacture (Module Leader)
MEC2107 Thermal Systems Engineering (Module Leader)
MEC3103 Product Design Engineering
MEC3106 Production, Quality and Innovation (Module Leader)
MEC3190 Mechanical Engineering Project
- Pointner H, de Gracia A, Vogel J, Tay NHS, Liu M, Johnson M, Cabeza LF. Computational efficiency in numerical modelling of high temperature latent heat storage: Comparison of selected software tools based on experimental data. Applied Energy 2016, 161, 337-348.
- Liu M, Tay NHS, Bell S, Belusko M, Jacob R, Will G, Saman W, Bruno F. Review on concentrating solar power plants and new developments in high temperature thermal energy storage technologies. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2016, 53, 1411-1432.
- Liu M, Gomez JC, Turchi CS, Tay NHS, Saman W, Bruno F. Determination of thermo-physical properties and stability testing of high-temperature phase change materials for CSP applications. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2015, 139, 81-87.
- Belusko M, Tay NHS, Liu M, Bruno F. Effective tube-in-tank PCM thermal storage for CSP applications, Part 1: Impact of tube configuration on discharging effectiveness. Solar Energy 2015. In Press.
- Belusko M, Tay NHS, Liu M, Bruno F. Effective tube-in-tank PCM thermal storage for CSP applications, Part 2: Parametric assessment and impact of latent fraction. Solar Energy 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Liu M, Tay NHS, Belusko M, Bruno F. Investigation of cascaded shell and tube latent heat storage systems for solar tower power plants. Energy Procedia 2015, 69, 913-924.
- Tay NHS, Belusko M, Liu M, Bruno F. Investigation of the effect of dynamic melting in a tube-in-tank PCM system using a CFD model. Applied Energy 2015, 137, 738-747.
- Tay NHS, Belusko M, Castell A, Cabeza LF, Bruno F. An Effectiveness-NTU Technique for Characterising a Finned Tubes PCM System using a CFD model. Applied Energy 2014, 131, 377-385.
- Liu M, Belusko M, Tay NHS, Bruno F. Impact of the heat transfer fluid in a flat plate phase change thermal storage unit for concentrated solar tower plants. Solar Energy 2014, 101, 220-231.
- Bruno F, Tay NHS, Belusko M. Minimising energy usage for domestic cooling with off-peak PCM storage. Energy and Buildings 2014, 76, 347-353.
- Bruno F, Belusko M, Liu M, Tay NHS. Solid-liquid phase change materials for thermal energy storage. In: Cabeza, LF, ed. Advances in Thermal Energy Storage Systems: Methods and Applications. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing, 2014.
- Tay NHS, Bruno F, Belusko M. Comparison of Pinned and Finned Tubes in a Phase Change Thermal Energy Storage System using CFD. Applied Energy 2013, 104, 79-86.
- Tay NHS, Bruno F, Belusko M. Experimental Investigation of Dynamic Melting in a Tube-in-tank PCM System. Applied Energy 2013, 104, 137-148.
- Tay NHS, Belusko M, Bruno F. An effectiveness-NTU Technique for Characterising Tube-in-tank Phase Change Thermal Energy Storage Systems. Applied Energy 2012, 91(1), 309-319.
- Tay NHS, Belusko M, Bruno F. Designing a PCM Storage System using the Effectiveness-Number of Transfer Units Method in Low Energy Cooling of Buildings. Energy and Buildings 2012, 50, 234-242.
- Tay NHS, Belusko M, Bruno F. Experimental Investigation of Tubes in a Phase Change Thermal Energy Storage System. Applied Energy 2012, 90(1), 288-297.
- Tay NHS, Bruno F, Belusko M. Experimental Validation of a CFD and an ε-NTU Model for a Large Tube-in-tank PCM System. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2012, 55(21-22), 5931-5940.
- Tay NHS, Bruno F, Belusko M. Experimental Validation of a CFD Model for Tubes in a Phase Change Thermal Energy Storage System. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2012, 55(4), 574-585.
- Gasia J, Tay NHS, Belusko M, Cabeza LF, Bruno F. Experimental investigation of the effect of dynamic melting in a cylindrical shell-and-tube heat exchanger using water as PCM. Applied Energy 2017, 185(Part 1), 136-145.
- Liu M, Bell S, Segarra M, Tay NHS, Will G, Saman W, Bruno F. A eutectic salt high temperature phase change material: Thermal stability and corrosion of SS316 with respect to thermal cycling. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2017, 170, 1-7.
- Riahi S, Saman W, Bruno F, Belusko M, Tay NHS. Comparative study of melting and solidification processes in different configurations of shell and tube high temperature latent heat storage system. Solar Energy 2017, 150, 363-374.
- Riahi S, Saman W, Bruno F, Belusko M, Tay NHS. Impact of periodic flow reversal of heat transfer fluid on the melting and solidification processes in a latent heat shell and tube storage system. Applied Energy 2017, 191, 276-286.
- Tay NHS, Liu M, Belusko M, Bruno F. Review on transportable phase change material in thermal energy storage systems. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 2017, 75, 264-277.