Dr Hugh Alberti
Sub Dean for Primary and Community Care
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5020
- Address: School of Medical Education
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am Subdean for primary and community care and lead the team of SMTs across the regional medical school. We recruit, train and support GPs to teach medical students in primary care. I also lead a team of academic GP trainees and supervise masters and doctorate students.
I am a GP at the Linthorpe Surgery in Middlesbrough where we teach students from stage one through to stage five.
B.M. (Southampton University) 1991
D.C.H. (London) 1994
M.R.C.G.P. (Distinction) 1996
D.T.M. & H. (Distinction) 1997
M.D. with Commendation (Newcastle University) 2007
Masters in Clinical Education with merit (Newcastle University) 2013
I lead our educational academic GP team and our reseach is along the themes of undergraduate teaching in General Practice and career influences of medical students. I currently supervise two GP trainees doing doctorates in the areas of patient involvement in undergradaute teaching and inflcuences on GP career choice of students. Other multicentre work include a project on GP motivations to teach and GP trainees barriers to teaching.
My previous publications are predominantly in the area of diabetes management in primary care.
- Alberti H, Randles HL, Harding A, McKinley RK. Exposure of undergraduates to authentic GP teaching and subsequent entry to GP training: A quantitative study of UK medical schools. British Journal of General Practice 2017, 67(657), e248-e252.
- McDonald P, Jackson B, Alberti H, Rosenthal J. How can medical schools encourage students to choose general practice as a career?. British Journal of General Practice 2016, 66(647), 292-293.
- Flodgren G, Deane K, Dickinson HO, Kirk S, Alberti H, Beyer FR, Brown JG, Penney TL, Summerbell CD, Eccles MP. Interventions to change the behaviour of health professionals and the organisation of care to promote weight reduction in overweight and obese people. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, 2010(3), CD000984.
- Bouguerra R, Alberti H, Smida H, Salem LB, Rayana CB, El Atti J, Achour A, Gaigi S, Slama CB, Zouari B, Alberti KGMM. Waist circumference cut-off points for identification of abdominal obesity among the tunisian adult population. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 2007, 9(6), 859-868.
- Bouguerra R, Alberti H, Salem LB, Rayana CB, Atti JE, Gaigi S, Slama CB, Zouari B, Alberti K. The global diabetes pandemic: The Tunisian experience. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2007, 61(2), 160-165.
- Alberti H, Boudriga N, Nabli M. Primary care management of diabetes in a low/middle income country: A multi-method, qualitative study of barriers and facilitators to care. BMC Family Practice 2007, 8(63).
- Alberti H, Boudriga N, Nabli M. Improvements in quality of care of patients with diabetes in primary care in Tunisia. Practical Diabetes International 2007, 24(3), 152-157.
- Harzallah F, Alberti H, Ben Khalifa F. The metabolic syndrome in an Arab population: A first look at the new International Diabetes Federation criteria. Diabetic Medicine 2006, 23(4), 441-444.
- Bouguerra R, Ben Salem L, Alberti H, Ben Rayana C, El Atti J, Blouza S, Gaigi S, Achour A, Ben Slama C, Zouari B. Prevalence of metabolic abnormalities in the Tunisian adults: A population based study. Diabetes and Metabolism 2006, 32(3), 215-221.
- Harzallah F, Ncibi N, Alberti H, Ben Brahim A, Smadhi H, Kanoun F, Slimane H. Clinical and metabolic characteristics of newly diagnosed diabetes patients: Experience of a university hospital in Tunis. Diabetes and Metabolism 2006, 32(6), 632-635.
- Harzallah F, Alberti H, Kanoun F, Elhouch F, Slimane H. Quality of care of patients with type 2 diabetes in a Tunisian university hospital. Diabetes and Metabolism 2004, 30(6), 523-526.
- Abbott J, Alberti H. NHS Direct. British Journal of General Practice 2001, 51(468), 580-581.
- Burford B, Alberti H, Kennedy D. Early career intentions of medical students: are we selecting the graduates we need for the 21st century?. Education for Primary Care 2017, (ePub ahead of print).
- Alberti H, Atkinson J. Twelve tips for the recruitment and retention of general practitioners as teachers of medical students. Medical Teacher 2017, Epub ahead of print.