Dr Laura Delgaty
Senior Lecturer in Clinical Education
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4563
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5016
- Address: School of Medical Education
The Medical School
Ridley Building 1
- 2012 Doctorate of Education (Newcastle University)
- 2012 Associate Fellow Status Medical Sciences Graduate School
- 2010 E-learning certificate: Design, assessment and evaluation (Technology Education Council, London)
- 2002 Masters of Education (Lakehead University)
- 1991 Bachelor of Health Science (physiotherapy) (McMaster University)
Impact and Recognition:
- 2017 Winner Innovative Teaching: Teaching Excellence Awards (TEA)
- 2017 Vice Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching nominee (shortlisted)
- 2017 Educator Innovator Award (awarded Jan 2017): Association for the Society of Medical Education
- 2017 ERDP Educational Research Development Practice Grant award
- 2017 EDIF (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Fund) Awards: lead (x2) team (x1)
- 2017 Nominated Outstanding Feedback (shortlisted); Research Supervisor Award Teaching (TEA)
- 2016 ERDP Educational Research Development Practice Grant award (Dental team)
- 2016 Chair University Diversity Consultative Group and Diversity Committee member
- 2016 ERDP Educational Research Development Practice Grant award (Principal Investigator/ team lead)
- 2016 BERA (British Educational Research Association) teacher bursary award
- 2016 Nominated Outstanding Contribution to Feedback (shortlisted): Teaching Excellence Awards,
- 2016 Nominated Innovative Teaching (shortlisted): Teaching Excellence Awards
- 2016 Deputy Degree Programme Director Medical Education
- 2015 Deputy Degree Programme Director Clinical Research (e-learning)
- 2015 Deputy Degree Programme Director Clinical Health Sciences
- 2015 Strategic Innovation Fund Award Winner (Principal Investigator and team lead)
- 2015 Selected as Faculty Representative: Aurora Leadership for Women National Programme
- 2014 Chair NUTELA (Newcastle University technology enhanced learning advocates)
- 2014 Academic Lead Departmental Athena SWAN award application (successful April 2015)
- 2014 Senior Fellow Higher Education Academy
- 2014 Research Supervisor of the year nomination: Teaching Excellence Awards
- 2014 Member School Executive Group (nominated staff representative by peers)
- 2013 New Researcher of the year award: Association for the Society of Medical Education
- 2013 Innovation Fund Award Winner (Newcastle University)
Teaching across all levels of programme with specific responsibilities as Module Leader for eight modules:
- Understanding Educational Research (20 credit diploma)
- Utilising Technology in Clinical Education (20 credit diploma)
- Understanding Programmes of Learning (20 credit certificate, delivered in Malaysia and UK and online)
- Scholarship in Medical Education (20 credit diploma delivered in Malaysia and UK)
- Advanced Study Module (full time) (60 credit Masters)
- Advanced Study Module (part time) (60 credit Masters)
Nominated for research supervisor of the year 2014 and 2017, recent Master’s project supervision includes:
- 2016-17 Harry Preston: Physician Associate students’ perceptions of their Professional Identity and the influences on its formation.
- 2016 Sulekha Sivapatham: Medical students’ awareness of how they learn and how it impacts their studies
- 2015-17 Kathy Wilson: Meeting the oral health care needs of patients with disabilities - Is the new dental graduate prepared?
- 2014/15 Sharon Koo: Medical Educators’ Voices in an Undergraduate Medical Curriculum
- 2014/15 John Bailie: A Systematic Review of Educators’ Experiences of Developing and Delivering E-Learning Resources
- 2014/15 Elaine Chiang: Defining a Good Teacher in the Malaysian Context
- 2014/15 Michael Dick: The differences between the assessment of surgical competency in the UK compared to similar developed countries around the world.
- 2015/16 Tanya Johnston: Formative Evaluation of an Engineered Study Group Initiated by a GP Training Programme
- 2012/13 Matthew Tuck:The Effective Implementation of an independent, Medical Student Led Wiki to Support the Needs of Peers
- 2012/13 Chris Mysko: Twitter in Medical Education: an Exploration of Medical Students’ Views on Twitter
- 2012/13 Hugh Alberti: A Study of the Clinical Communication Skills Teaching at NUMEd, Newcastle University’s Malaysian Campus
- 2011/12 Hayley Coleman: Peer-Led Teaching: Student Tutees’ Perceptions of its Value
- 2011/12 Amelia Fish: An Evaluation: Foundation Year 1 Doctors’ Perceptions of the Transition From Final Year at Medical School in to Their First Year of Practice – how Prepared Were They?
- 2011/12 Daniel Puntis: Developing an M-Learning Theory
- 2010/11 Adam Howden: Is an E-Learning Programme a Useful Method of Teaching for Foundation Year Doctors on a Critical Care Attachment?
- 2009/10 Janine Henderson: Medical Students’ Perceptions of Psychiatry in the Context of an Integrated PBL Curriculum
- Distance learning and related theories
- Technology in Learning
- Curricular theories/ideologies
- Analytics and web mining
- Role clarity and changing roles of academics with technology
- Communities (staff and student) when teaching and learning at a distance
- Delgaty L, Fisher J, Thompson R. The 'Dark Side' of Technology in Medical Education. MedEdPublish 2017, 6(2), 19.
- Delgaty L. Redefining practice: challenging academic and institutional traditions with distance learning. Electronic Journal of e-Learning (EJEL) 2017, 15(1), 17-32.
- Delgaty L. If storytelling is central to human meaning, why, in the research world, is there not more storytelling?. In: ASME Annual Scientific Meeting. 2017, Exeter: ASME.
- Matthan J, Delgaty L. Widening Participation and technology: Are we creating an environment for success or failure?. In: AMEE. 2017, Helsinki.
- Bailie J, Delgaty L. A systematic review of qualitative research addressing learner and educator perceptions of valuable e-learning in medical education. In: AMEE. 2017, Helsinki.
- Judge SJ, Delgaty L, Broughton M, Dyter L, Grimes C, Metcalf J, Nicholson R, Pennock E, Jankowski K. Behaviour-changing ingredients in soft drinks: An experiment developed by school children in partnership with a research scientist. Journal of Biological Education 2017, 51(1), 79-96.
- Alberti H, Delgaty L. From the UK ‘with love’:Transferring a medical curriculum to Malaysia. SEAJME (Southeast Asia Journal of Medical Education) 2017, accepted for publication January 2017. In Preparation.
- Delgaty L, Matthan J, Rawles L, Guidling C, Woolner P, Thomas U. Digital Capabilities and Expectations of Prospective Students: Preparing Higher Education for Learning and Teaching of the Future. In: BERA. 2016, Leeds.
- Delgaty L, Matthan J, Woolner P, Guilding C, Thomas U. Preparing for the future or promoting social inequity? Investigating digital capabilities of prospective university students. In: EUCEN Conference: Crossing borders through lifelong learning- enhancing quality and equity in higher education. 2016, Dublin.
- Mysko C, Delgaty L. Integrating twitter into medical education. Annual Review of Education, Communication and Language Sciences 2015, 12, 24-52.
- Puntis D, Delgaty L. Making it Mobile: changing approaches to clinical learning environments. In: EDEN (European Distance and E-Learning Network) conference. 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Delgaty L. Twelve tips for academic role and institutional change in distance learning. Medical Teacher 2015, 37(1), 41-46.
- Delgaty LE. Informed practice made public: The key to organisational and cultural change in distance learning. In: EAPRIL (European Association for Practitioner Research on Improving Learning). 2014, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Delgaty LE. A critical examination of the time and workload involved in the design and delivery of an e-module in postgraduate clinical education. Medical Teacher 2013, 35(5), e1173-1180.
- Delgaty L. Action research: Distance learning and clinical education. London: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2013.
- Delgaty L. Communities of Practice in Clinical Education: Do we (need to) trust our leaders?. Annual Review of Education, Communication and Language Sciences 2013, 10, 43-68.
- Delgaty LE. Money aside...What is e-learning costing academics?. In: Canadian Conference on Medical Education - Going for Gold (CCME 2013). 2013, Quebec City, Quebec: CCME.
- Delgaty L. To critically examine and make informed changes to the design and delivery of a post-graduate distance clinical education module (Winner of ASME 2013 new researcher of the year award). In: ASME Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, Edinburgh, UK.
- Delgaty LE. Money aside……What is e-learning costing academics?. In: Ottawa Conference on Medical Assessment. 2012, Kuala Lumpar.
- Delgaty L, Moon R, Stewart J. Fast, easy and cheap...but is it useful? Is computer generated feedback useful to students?. In: ASME. 2010, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Delgaty LE. Curriculum Mapping: are you thinking what I'm thinking?. ARECLS 2009, 6, 35-58.