Dr Paul Paes
Sub Dean MBBS Admissions; Clinical Senior Lecturer in Palliative Medicine
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5020
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5016
- Address: School of Medical Education
Medical Student Office
The Medical School
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I am a Consultant and Clinical Senior Lecturer in Palliative Medicine. My clinical role is with Northumbria Healthcare Foundation Trust where I am also Clinical Director for their New Models of Care Programme.
University Roles and Responsibilities
Sub Dean for MBBS Recruitment and Admissions, School of Medical Education.
- Board of Medical Studies, School of Medical Education
- Joint Admissions and Recruitment Executive (Chair), School of Medical Education
- Recruitment and Widening Participation Committee, School of Medical Education
- Undergraduate Student Recruitment Group, Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Medical Schools Council Selection Alliance Board
- Association for Palliative Medicine Executive Committee
- Association for Palliative Medicine Education Lead
- 1997 MB BS, Newcastle University
- 2000 MRCP
- 2004 MSc, Kings College London
- 2006 MMEd, Dundee University
- 2009 FRCP
- 2016 EdD, Newcastle University
- 2017 Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
My research interests are around decision making, both from a clinical and educational perspective. This particularly focusses clinically on long term conditions and end of life decision making: ethics, anticipatory planning and managing complexity. Educational research is focussed on the development of skills of clinical judgement.
2017 Fiona Maccormick, PhD, Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
2016 Deepta Churm, MD, Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
2013 Katie Frew, PhD, Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
TeachingI teach substantially in Phase 2 of the MBBS programme attached to Northumbria Base Unit in the fields of communication, ethics and palliative care.
- Paes P, Wee B. A Delphi study to develop the Association for Palliative Medicine consensus syllabus for undergraduate palliative medicine in Great Britain and Ireland. Palliative Medicine 2008, 22(4), 360-364.
- Standing H, Exley C, Flynn D, Hughes J, Joyce K, Lobban T, Lord S, Matlock D, McComb JM, Paes P, Thomson RG. A qualitative study of decision-making about the implantation of cardioverter defibrillators and deactivation during end-of-life care. Health Services and Delivery Research 2016, 4(32).
- Walker S, Gibbins J, Barclay S, Adams A, Paes P, Chandratilake M, Gishen F, Lodge P, Wee B. Progress and divergence in palliative care education for medical students: A comparative survey of UK course structure, content, delivery, contact with patients and assessment of learning. Palliative Medicine 2016, 30(9), 834-842.
- Walker S, Gibbins J, Paes P, Adams A, Chandratilake M, Gishen F, Lodge P, Wee B, Barclay S. Palliative care education for medical students: Differences in course evolution, organisation, evaluation and funding: A survey of all UK medical schools. Palliative Medicine 2017, 31(6), 575-581.
- Walker S, Gibbins J, Paes P, Barclay S, Adams A, Chandratilake M, Gishen F, Lodge P, Wee B. Preparing future doctors for palliative care: views of course organisers. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Grogan E, Paes P, Peel T. Excellence in cost-effective inpatient specialist palliative care in the NHS- a new model. Clinical Medicine 2016, 16(1), 7-11.
- Paes P, Grogan E. End of life care. In: Integrated Palliative Care of Respiratory Disease. Springer-Verlag London Ltd, 2013, pp.209-234.
- Twycross R, Wilcock A, Barclay S, Charlesworth S, Hamlyn S, Keeling S, Knights D, Howard P, Lawrie I, Paes P, Stockley A, Toller C, Ward J, Wilkins P, ed. Introducing Palliative Care. Nottingham, UK: Palliativedrugs.com Ltd, 2016.
- Paes P. A pilot study to assess the effectiveness of a palliative care clinic in improving the quality of life for patients with severe heart failure. Palliative Medicine 2005, 19(6), 505-506. In Preparation.