At present, it is the only university in any of five special economic zones and is one of China's higher-level universities designated for the state key construction of the “211 Project” and the “985 Project”.
Currently, Professor Zhu Chongshi is the President of the University.
The establishment of the Confucius Institute has been very important in consolidating our broader partnership with Xiamen, which covers a range of research and teaching.
Xiamen is one of China's most active Confucius Institute partners with a total of 15 worldwide including nine in Europe.
The Office of Chinese Language Council International (Hanban)
The Office of Chinese Language Council International (Hanban), established in 1987, is a public institution affiliated with the Chinese Ministry of Education.
It is committed to providing Chinese language and cultural teaching resources and services worldwide, meeting the demands of foreign Chinese learners and contributing to the development of multiculturalism.
It has set up more than 360 Confucius Institutes throughout the world.
We are one of a number of Confucius Institutes in the UK. The Confucius Institute Network UK (CINUK) was set up in 2006 as a forum for the Institutes to:
- exchange ideas and experiences
- discuss matters of common concern
- collaborate in joint projects
While each Institute evolves its own programme, all work to a high-quality standard. Students benefit from extensive resources and the teaching skills of the visiting staff.
Other Confucius Institutes in the UK are:
- Confucius Institute, Bangor University
- Confucius Institute at Cardiff University
- Confucius Institute, Edge Hill University
- Confucius Institute for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Confucius Institute at the University of Wales, Trinity St David, Lampeter
- Confucius Institute at University of Liverpool
- Confucius Institute at University of Central Lancashire, Preston, England
- Confucius Institute for Business, London School of Economics
- Confucius Institute for Traditional Chinese Medicine, London South Bank University
- London Confucius Institute, SOAS, University of London
- Confucius Institute at the University of Manchester
- Confucius Institute at the University of Nottingham
- Confucius Institute at the University of Sheffield
- Institute of Education Confucius Institute