Dr Franck Michel
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7489
- Address: Room 5.07 Old Library Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Student consultation hours in 2017-18:
- Mondays 3-5pm and Tuesdays 3-4pm (semester 1)
- Tuesdays 10-11am and Fridays 12-2pm (semester 2)
- BA(hons) Modern Languages and political studies, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne (1995);
- Maîtrise de Langues Etrangères Appliquées, Université de Bourgogne, France (1996);
- Mlitt in French studies, University of Newcastle upon Tyne (1999);
- PG Cert. in Academic Practice, University of Newcastle upon Tyne (2003);
- PhD in French Studies, Newcastle University (2008). Title of thesis: 'Image, Style, Discourse and Presidential Leadership in France: The Case of Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (1974-1981)'
Roles and Responsibilities
- Degree Programme Director for Modern Languages and Business Studies (TN92)
- Director of the University Wide Language Programme (UWLP)
- Chair of the University's ePortfolio UG/PGT Management group (2013-2017)
- Combined Honours Subject Advisor for Modern Languages (2011-2017)
- Chair of the Language Teaching Steering Group (LTSG) (2012-2015)
- French Language Teaching Coordinator (2010-2014)
- Director of the Year Abroad (2007-2011; 2012-13)
- Year Abroad Coordinator for French (2005-2008)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Certified UNILANG external examiner
Honours and Awards
Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Teacher Award 2010 (Newcastle University)
UTLSEC Innovation Fund Award 2012 (Newcastle University)
Teaching Excellence Award 2013 for "Contribution to Outstanding Feedback" (Newcastle University)
- FRE1006: La France de 1789 à nos jours (module leader)
- FRE4081: Level D (HE further advanced) Advanced Writing (module leader)
- FRE4082: Level D (HE further advanced) Language for Professional and Academic Purposes (module leader)
- FRE4083: Level D (HE further advanced) Translation and Interpreting (module leader)
- SML 8014: Consecutive Interpreting (French)
- French history and politics; media, elections and political communication in France.
- Autonomous language learning; the role of ePortfolios in the Personal and Academic Development of students abroad.
- Álvarez-Mayo C, Gallagher-Brett A, Michel F, ed. Innovative language teaching and learning at university: enhancing employability. Research Publishing, 2017.
- Michel F. Breaking the Gaullian Mould: Valéry Giscard d'Estaing and the Modernisation of French Presidential Communication. Modern and Contemporary France 2005, 13(3), 291-306.
- Michel F. Diverted tautological political communication in French presidential elections: the case of Lionel Jospin in 1995. Web Journal of French Media Studies 2001, 4(1).
- Appleby R, Michel F. Business English Guide Pratique: L'anglais économique, commercial et financier. Paris (France): Ellipses, 1998.