Dr Fred Wu
Senior Lecturer in Translating & Interpreting
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6936
- Address: Room 5.28, Old Library Building
School of Modern Languages
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Wu joined Newcastle University in 1998 as a lecturer on the Postgraduate Programme in Translating and Interpreting and the Undergraduate Chinese Language Programme. Before that, Dr. Wu worked as a lecturer at the English Department of Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages in Taiwan. He was also Director of the Szu-yuan Translation Service, which is affiliated to Wenzao College; this post involved managing translation and interpreting projects, recruiting translators/interpreters, and overseeing the College's translation internship programme. Since he joined the T&I Postgraduate Programme, Dr. Wu has been developing and teaching the interpreting modules as well as developing assessment materials and procedures for interpreting exams.
PhD, Newcastle University, UK
Thesis title: Assessing Simultaneous Interpreting
- a study on test reliability and examiners' assessment behaviour
MA in Translation and Interpretation
Monterey Institute of International Studies, USA
MA in East Asian Studies
St. John's University, USA
BA in English
Tamkang University, Taiwan
Director of Postgraduate Studies, School of Modern Languages (2012)
Degree Programme Director of MA in Translating and Interpreting, School of Modern Languages (2007-2012)
External examiner of MA courses in translation and interpreting
1. Westminster University (2006-2011)
2. Middlesex University (2007-09)
3. Manchester University (2012-13)
Lecturer, English Department, and
Director, Szu-yuan Translation Centre (1993-1998)
Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Mandarian Chinese, Taiwanese, English
Interpreter and translator education/course design/pedagogy, testing/assessment and quality assurance issues of interpreting examinations
Research student advisor on T&I related studies
2008 UTLC Innovation Fund on developing training materials for public service interpreting
2006 UTLC Innovation Fund on developing a web-based digital multi-media delivery platform for interpreting and language teaching and learning.
Introduction to Interpreting
MA T&I dissertation/project supervision
- Wu S. Examiners’ Assessment Behaviours in the Interpreting Examinations. In: 國家教育研究院 (National Academy for Educational Research), ed. 跨學科視域下的臺灣翻譯專業發展 (An Interdisciplinary Perspective on the Professional Development of Translation Studies in Taiwan). Taipei, Taiwan: 國家教育研究院 (National Academy for Educational Research), 2014, pp.73-96.
- Wu S. How Do We Assess Students in the Interpreting Examinations?. In: Tsagari, D., Deemter, R, ed. Assessment Issues in Language Translation and Interpreting. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang GmbH, 2013, pp.15-33.
- Pellatt V, Griffiths K, Wu S. Teaching and Testing Interpreting and Translating. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2010.
- Wu SC. Assessment Issues of Simultaneous Interpreting. In: International Conference on Translation and Interpretation. 2005, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, California, USA.
- Wu FS. Assessment Scales and Descriptors for Simultaneous Interpreting. In: The 8th International Conference on T&I Studies. 2003, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan.