Professor Guy Austin
Professor of French Studies
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7447
- Address: Professor of French Studies
School of Modern Languages
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Podcast of recent research seminar http://www.sas.ac.uk/videos-and-podcasts/culture-language-and-literature/haunted-house-french-culture-guy-austin
I joined Newcastle University as Professor of French Studies in January 2010. My main research specialism is modern French and Algerian cinema: I am the author of 'Contemporary French Cinema' (recently expanded and updated), 'Stars in Modern French Film', and 'Claude Chabrol'. My most recent book, 'Algerian National Cinema', was published in 2012 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Algerian independence.
I am particularly interested in engagement activities via cinema; in October 2010 I curated a season of Algerian films at the Side Cinema in Newcastle, and I'm involved in a series of film-related events for the university's Societal Challenge Themes and as Director of the Research Centre in Film & Digital Media.
On finishing my PhD I joined the French Department at the University of Sheffield, where I worked for seventeen years.
Roles and Responsibilities
Head of French Section
PhD in French (Narrative strategies in Lautreamont) Leeds University 1993
BA (Hons) English and French, Oxford Uiversity (first class), 1988
Founding Director, Research Centre in Film and Digital Media, Newcastle University, 2011-2016
Head of French Department, University of Sheffield, September -December 2009
Subdean (Arts, UG affairs), University of Sheffield, 2006-2008
Reader in French, University of Sheffield, 2006-2009
Senior Lecturer in French, University of Sheffield, 2000-2006
Lecturer in French, University of Sheffield, 1992-2000
Modern French cinema (since 1960), especially fantasy and horror, stardom, the films of Claude Chabrol
Modern Algerian politics, society and culture
The Algerian War in cinema
Trauma and film
The films of Mohamed Chouikh
Trauma in Algerian documentary since the 1990s
Political depression in recent French cinema
Contemporary French horror cinema
Bourdieu and cinema
Cinema and depression
Director of Research Centre in Film and Digital Media
Postcolonial Research Group
I have supervised PhDs on French cinema and on French literature, and am currently co-supervising 5 PhDs:
--representations of the Algerian War in French and Algerian cinema
--representations of the Holocaust in recent Israeli, US and German cinema
--Chinese independent film fetivals
--the uterus as cinematic frame in narrative film
--children in recent Spanish horror cinema
SML1021 Introduction to Film Studies
SML1022 Introduction to Cultural Studies
FRE4006 Contemporary French Cinema (co-taught with Dr Sarah Leahy)
FRE4013 Images d'Algerie
MA Film: Theory and Practice
Cinematic Others; Approaches to Film
- Austin G. Algerian National Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2012.
- Austin G. Spaces of the Dispossessed in Algerian Cinema. Modern & Contemporary France 2011, 19(2), 195-208.
- Austin G. Against amnesia: representations of memory in Algerian cinema. Journal of African Cinemas 2010, 2(1), 27-35.
- Austin G. "Seeing and listening from the site of trauma": The Algerian War in Contemporary French Cinema. In: Austin, J, ed. New Spaces for French and Francophone Cinema. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009, pp.115-125.
- Austin G. Contemporary French Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2008.
- Austin G. Drawing trauma: visual testimony in Caché and J'ai 8 ans. Screen 2007, 48(4), 529-536.
- Austin G. Stars in Modern French Film. London; New York: Arnold; Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Austin G. Mohamed Chouikh: from anti-colonial commemoration to a cinema of contestation. In: Gugler, J, ed. Ten Arab Filmmakers. Bloomington, IA: Indiana University Press, 2013, pp.166-187. Submitted.
- Austin G. Biological Dystopias: The Body in Contemporary French Horror Cinema. L'Esprit Createur 2012, 52(2), 99-113.
- Austin G. Contemporary French Horror Cinema: From Absence to Embodied Presence. In: Alistair Fox, Michel Marie, Raphaelle Moine, Hilary Radner, ed. A Companion to Contemporary French Cinema. Oxford, UK: Wiley Blackwell, 2015, pp.275-288.
- Austin G. Political depression and working practices in recent French cinema. Studies in French Cinema 2015, 15(2), 156-167.
- Austin G. De Charcot à Charlot. Mises en scène du corps pathologique Rennes by Rae Beth Gordon [Book review]. Modern & Contemporary France 2014, 22(2), 260-261.
- Austin G. Decrypting depression in Rivette's Histoire de Marie et Julien. Screen 2014, 55(1), 73-83.
- Powrie P, Austin G, Conway K, Dobson J, Hainge G, Higbee W, Leahy S, Martin F. Editorial. Studies in French Cinema 2014, 14(1), 1-4.
- Austin G, Martin F. Introduction: French and Francophone cinema and contestation. Studies in French Cinema 2013, 13(3), 193-196.
- Yu SQ, Austin G, ed. Revisiting Star Studies: Cultures, Themes and Methods. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017. In Press.