Professor Guy Austin
Professor of French Studies
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7447
- Address: Professor of French Studies
School of Modern Languages
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Podcast of recent research seminar http://www.sas.ac.uk/videos-and-podcasts/culture-language-and-literature/haunted-house-french-culture-guy-austin
I joined Newcastle University as Professor of French Studies in January 2010. My main research specialism is modern French and Algerian cinema: I am the author of the books 'Algerian National Cinema', 'Contemporary French Cinema', 'Stars in Modern French Film', and 'Claude Chabrol'. I also recently edited the collections 'New Uses of Bourdieu in Film and Media Studies' (2016) and 'Revisiting Star Studies' (co-edited with Sabrina Yu, 2017).
I am the founding director of the Research Centre in Film & Digital Media, and have organised and co-organised various film events including screenings, workshops and conferences.
On finishing my PhD I joined the French Department at the University of Sheffield, where I worked for seventeen years.
Roles and Responsibilities
Head of French Section
Director Research for School of Modern Languages
PhD in French (Narrative strategies in Lautreamont) Leeds University 1993
BA (Hons) English and French, Oxford Uiversity (first class), 1988
Founding Director, Research Centre in Film and Digital Media, Newcastle University, 2011-2016
Head of French Department, University of Sheffield, September -December 2009
Subdean (Arts, UG affairs), University of Sheffield, 2006-2008
Reader in French, University of Sheffield, 2006-2009
Senior Lecturer in French, University of Sheffield, 2000-2006
Lecturer in French, University of Sheffield, 1992-2000
Modern French cinema (since 1960), especially fantasy and horror, stardom, the films of Claude Chabrol
Modern Algerian politics, society and culture
The Algerian War in cinema
Trauma and film
Trauma in Algerian documentary since the 1990s
Screening Violence in Algeria (principal investigator on a major research grant application to AHRC, March 2017)
Director of Research, SML
I have supervised PhDs on French cinema, Algerian cinema, Chinese film festivals, the Holocaust in cinema, the uterus in film, and French literature.
I am currently co-supervising a PhD on Jordanian receptions of gender roles in cinema.
I am interested in research proposals on modern and contemporary cinema, especially pertaining to post-colonial issues, trauma, horror, and fantasy.
FRE4006 Contemporary French Cinema (co-taught with Dr Sarah Leahy)
FRE4013 Images d'Algerie
MA Film: Theory and Practice--Cinematic Others; Approaches to Film; Dissertation supervision
- Yu SQ, Austin G, ed. Revisiting Star Studies: Cultures, Themes and Methods. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017.
- Austin G. Trauma in recent Algerian documentary cinema: stories of civil conflict told by the living dead. In: Hodgin, N and Thakkar, A, ed. Scars and Wounds: Film and Legacies of Trauma. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017, pp.31-52.
- Austin G, ed. New Uses of Bourdieu in Film and Media Studies. New York and Oxford: Berghahn, 2016.
- Austin G. Contemporary French Horror Cinema: From Absence to Embodied Presence. In: Alistair Fox, Michel Marie, Raphaelle Moine, Hilary Radner, ed. A Companion to Contemporary French Cinema. Oxford, UK: Wiley Blackwell, 2015, pp.275-288.
- Austin G. Mohamed Chouikh: from anti-colonial commemoration to a cinema of contestation. In: Gugler, J, ed. Ten Arab Filmmakers. Bloomington, IA: Indiana University Press, 2015, pp.166-187. Submitted.
- Austin G. Political depression and working practices in recent French cinema. Studies in French Cinema 2015, 15(2), 156-167.
- Austin G. Decrypting depression in Rivette's Histoire de Marie et Julien. Screen 2014, 55(1), 73-83.
- Austin G, Martin F. Introduction: French and Francophone cinema and contestation. Studies in French Cinema 2013, 13(3), 193-196.
- Austin G. Algerian National Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2012.
- Austin G. Biological Dystopias: The Body in Contemporary French Horror Cinema. L'Esprit Createur 2012, 52(2), 99-113.
- Austin G. Spaces of the Dispossessed in Algerian Cinema. Modern & Contemporary France 2011, 19(2), 195-208.
- Austin G. Against amnesia: representations of memory in Algerian cinema. Journal of African Cinemas 2010, 2(1), 27-35.
- Austin G. "Seeing and listening from the site of trauma": The Algerian War in Contemporary French Cinema. In: Austin, J, ed. New Spaces for French and Francophone Cinema. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009, pp.115-125.
- Austin G. Contemporary French Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2008.
- Austin G. Drawing trauma: visual testimony in Caché and J'ai 8 ans. Screen 2007, 48(4), 529-536.
- Austin G. Stars in Modern French Film. London; New York: Arnold; Oxford University Press, 2003.