Support and Tutoring in SML

What groups and societies can I join?

There are lots of opportunities for you to meet new people and get involved with different activities. There are, for example, the Anglo-Chinese Society, the Anglo-Japanese Society, and the biggest of them all, the Modern Languages Society. This is an excellent place to start, and the Union Society lists over 150 different groups and societies so you are bound to find something that appeals to you!

Who should I go to with a problem?

The School of Modern Languages offers two types of support; academic support (given by Degree Programme Directors) and pastoral support (given by the personal tutors). Degree Programme Directors are there to give you academic advice on your particular programme e.g. module choice and general academic queries. Personal tutors are there to give you help and advice on your general and personal welfare.
The School of Modern Languages also has designated pastoral tutors who can give you help and advice on general welfare (such as finance or accommodation) and other personal problems. There is also a School's Disability Officer (supported by the University Disability Services).
In addition to the personal tutors and Degree programme directors, you can also go to the School Office (on the 6th floor of the Old Library Building) for general queries e.g. about term dates, extensions, year abroad issues, looking up your student records, or changing your contact details.

Online School Community for Undergraduates on Blackboard

As well as having access to teaching materials on Blackboard, you also have access to the online undergraduate community area. This is divided into various sections including essential information relating to the School, the Modern Languages Society pages, and useful information to help you get the most out of your degree.

Student support in the University

There is a lot of helpful information available about the various support services provided by the University for undergraduates and postgraduates. The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate School also offers support to postgraduate students within the School.

For advice on the Year Abroad see the dedicated website.