Student Support

Support and Tutoring in SML The School of Modern Languages offers two types of support; academic support (given by Degree Programme Directors) and pastoral support (given by the personal tutors). Degree Programme Directors are there to give you academic advice on your particular programme e.g. module choice and general academic queries. Personal tutors are there to give you help and advice on your general and personal welfare.
The School of Modern Languages also has two designated pastoral tutors (Dr Kathryn Robson and Mr Samuel Anaya Guzman) who can give you help and advice on general welfare (such as finance or accommodation) and other personal problems. Dr Robson is also the School's Disability Officer (supported by the University Disability Services).
In addition to the personal tutors and Degree programme directors, you can also go to the School Office (on the 6th floor of the Old Library Building) for general queries e.g. about term dates, extensions, year abroad issues, looking up your student records, or changing your contact details.

Online School Community for Undergraduates on Blackboard

As well as having access to teaching materials on Blackboard, you also have access to the online undergraduate community area. This is divided into various sections including essential information relating to the School, the Modern Languages Society pages, and useful information to help you get the most out of your degree.

Student support in the University

There is a lot of helpful information available about the various support services provided by the University for undergraduates and postgraduates. The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate School also offers support to postgraduate students within the School.
Image: Lucy Hill, one of the Spanish tutors, talks informally to one of the Postgraduate students, Chia-Ying Yang (Ally) during a coffee break.